Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates consistently failing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm currently on 2020.20.6.9. Last week, my car started downloading 2020.28.5. It completed to 100%, but never gave me the prompt to install. I tried rebooting, but eventually the update just disappeared.

Yesterday, my car started downloading to 2020.28.6. Again it downloaded to 100%, but never gave me the prompt to install. After about two hours, the update simply disappeared.

I contacted Tesla chat and they simply said wait for the next update. They were absolutely no help and even told me not to worry because "your car has a good update."

Any suggestions from some technically savvy people on the forum, because they're definitely not on Tesla chat. I've tried every type of reboot except for factory reset. Also have full bars of WiFi from a WiFi extender in the garage. Thanks!

Remember that a wifi extender only amplifies a weak signal. It does not boost bandwidth per se. If you use an extender, be sure to disable DHCP on the device if it is not off by default. A few other things - if you are connecting to an AC band (5ghz) wifi router/access point, know that the 5 gig band does not pass through walls or objects well, and the Tesla AC band wifi reception (LG chipset) is poor to say the least, and unreliable. If you have not already, maybe try stepping down your wifi for the car to an N band (2.5ghz) access point, or configure one of the radios on your existing equipment.

Full bars does not mean a clean signal. Have you checked to see if any other WiFi from your neighbors that can be interfering with your wifi? Have you tried a different channel? Used an app like NetSpot to check for competition and to select/use the best channel for least interference?

Your update might be downloading but if there is interference, then could have corruption of that downloaded data and any secondary checks on your downloaded update by your Tesla might fail with bad CRC or hash code, and the update does not get applied.

• Informative
Reactions: Croathlete
Extenders are problematic. I bought a MicroTek Audience to replace my old Netgear -- but you learn a lot about networking while you're pulling your hair out. I think the new'er Extenders coming out (like the EX8000 mesh) are better as the older ones don't get firmware updates anymore. Might also want to put the extender closer to your router vs. in the garage if that's possible. Going thru walls is problematic as mentioned. Lucky that my garage is next to my AOP, but my 4K TV is suffering with the fluttering.

I would agree with the comments about the extender, but I have a security camera connected to the same extender that is farther away than the car and the video quality is perfect. It's hard for me to believe the extender is the issue, but I'll remove the extender SSID from the car and see if it helps the next time an update drops. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get another update notification until the next version goes out for release.

I would agree with the comments about the extender, but I have a security camera connected to the same extender that is farther away than the car and the video quality is perfect. It's hard for me to believe the extender is the issue, but I'll remove the extender SSID from the car and see if it helps the next time an update drops. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get another update notification until the next version goes out for release.

could be -- but all my little devices farther away from my TV (ring bell, Sonos, bird cam, Nest) are all fine...but TV needs a better stable connection. Then again I'm using mesh so it's all bridged to the same SSID. AT&T wants/requires for support that you use their router - otherwise I'd throw it all way and go with something new. If you login into your internet provided router you'll see how noisy your network is and all the surrounding neighbors stuff is invading you air space.

• Informative
Reactions: Croathlete
If the OP does decide to scan WiFi for interference from the neighbors, etc. then they need to do it from the location of their vehicle, or inside their vehicle, with the caveat that the strength of signals they see with their scanning device may not be the same as what their Tesla sees. Should be obvious, but just bringing it up in case that is overlooked.

I can be on my couch with my laptop, do a scan and all is nice and pretty, neighbors signals are very weak, mine is strong, all is well. Take my laptop outside in my driveway and scan again, totally different picture, my WiFI is significantly weaker and my neighbors' are much stronger, and they do overlap somewhat with frequencies used, so what effect does that have when my MY does an update... I usually park in my garage before starting an update via my phone, for maximum signal strength.

If the OP does decide to scan WiFi for interference from the neighbors, etc. then they need to do it from the location of their vehicle, or inside their vehicle, with the caveat that the strength of signals they see with their scanning device may not be the same as what their Tesla sees. Should be obvious, but just bringing it up in case that is overlooked.

I can be on my couch with my laptop, do a scan and all is nice and pretty, neighbors signals are very weak, mine is strong, all is well. Take my laptop outside in my driveway and scan again, totally different picture, my WiFI is significantly weaker and my neighbors' are much stronger, and they do overlap somewhat with frequencies used, so what effect does that have when my MY does an update... I usually park in my garage before starting an update via my phone, for maximum signal strength.

good idea -- u just using your phone as a hotspot? I wonder how all these kids are going to do school from home with broadband issues.

good idea -- u just using your phone as a hotspot? I wonder how all these kids are going to do school from home with broadband issues.
Me or the OP? I moved my WiFi to a different location so the signal strength in my garage is much stronger, without having to get any repeaters or boosters involved. No problems with updates once in the garage. I would never try updating in the driveway, too much competition from neighboring systems.

Reactions: same
Me or the OP? I moved my WiFi to a different location so the signal strength in my garage is much stronger, without having to get any repeaters or boosters involved. No problems with updates once in the garage. I would never try updating in the driveway, too much competition from neighboring systems.

well my OP is next to the garage but 55 ft.thru glass from my 75" 4K TV -- need to figure out a way to accommodate both without running wires all over the place. POE might be next.

Ethernet over power line adapters, if just for periodic WiFi for the Tesla, might work. Both adapters have to be on same side of your electrical panel in order to work, so check circuits to verify. Don't buy into the rated speeds however, those are practically impossible to get unless both are plugged into same wall socket, side by side. But the speed you do end up getting might be worth it for the Tesla connectivity.

The Best Powerline Networking Adapter