Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates for Model S with swapped steering wheel stalks but no Autopilot (~Sep 2014)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when 6.0 was released, a lot of us who had the steering wheel stalks swapped but didn't get Autopilot (built around September 2014) had to wait a long time for the update. One of the other owners was told by a SC that it was they had to thoroughly test the update on cars with this configuration (if I remember the thread correctly). I suspect we're a small group, so we're probably lower priority. I'm wondering a) if this was/is actually the case with 6.0/6.1, and b) if it's going to be like this with every update.

Does your Model S have this configuration and have you gotten 6.1 yet?

I don't have 6.1 yet. Do remind me how to check for the stalk configuration?

I have the cruise lower, beneath the blinker stalk.

Yep. That's the one. Older cars had the cruise control stalk higher.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW: What release of 6.0 do you have? I'm still at 6.0 (1.67.43). I never got the 2.0.77 release that brings the keyfob charge port open.

I'm also on 1.67.43

Thanks.

I wonder if everyone with new stalk order but pre-D is still stuck at 6.0 release 1.67.43. Anyone different?

Also, any speculation as to why this may be? What else is different in the car, but the order of the stalks?

My P85+ was built the last weekend of Sept. 2014. Delivery on 9/30. Stalks are the new configuration and I have the Autopilot hardware. Still on 6.0 release 1.67.43. No upgrade to 6.1. Not sure what their priorities are. Looks like it could be build dates.

Thank you for the pointer, Blu Zap. It is also possible the delay isn't related exactly to the stalks, but a certain period or VIN range of cars built. It could also be that there is some other component that is inherent to cars built in this period that makes then separate from the rest. It could be that the stalks are just a symptom, not the actual cause. (Assuming there even is any correlation between firmware release schedule and the stalk placement.)

Any more data points from people with the new stalk configuration? Still at 6.0 release 1.67.43? Or something newer?

Any speculation as to what, if anything, might cause this potential delay for cars built in this period? Or is it just a coincidence? If so, I wonder why the SC reportedly said "they had to thoroughly test the update on cars with this configuration"...

Just got the update message 30 minutes ago, strangely not there when I started driving an hour ago after a night parked, but then it appeared when driving back from my destination. My origin had Wi-Fi, my destination was only on 3G. I assume it is 6.1, we shall see what release once I get to updating. It asks for 45 minutes, but ironically - after all the wait - at the moment I don't have enough time to risk issues, so later. :) Anyway, happy the message is there and hopefully a good Tesla weekend.

I guess we're none the wiser whether or not there's anything to the story that our special betweener status in stalk configuration might be a reason for delay. TES-E's message suggests, perhaps not. Another explanation could be that the update batches start roughly from low VINs upwards and the reason it feels late for us is that, in addition, some batches of latest cars are prioritized to update new features (like "D" range) and improve new-owner experience as fast as possible.

Anyone still waiting?

p.s. I'm so happy I got the new stalks in any case, I actually didn't think of this when buying. As I don't like the cruise interface much as it is, I know I would hate it even more if it's location was up there.

6.1 (release 2.2.113) came available yesterday and installed today. Works well, no issues.

Although as I mentioned in the other thread the reverse guidelines are not accurate in terms of outer edges of the car as they are on competition. The best new feature is keyfob open of the charge port, as I was missing that 6.0 later mini-update. It definitely is very useful, as is the notification of pressing gas on P/N, if that is indeed new. I also think the settings have been re-organized very nicely. The parking sensor view changes are useful, although I wonder why they don't differentiate between the leftmost and rightmost two sensors, it would be useful if they did like on competition. Also, if the rear-view camera shows all the time, it is still awkward the camera+sensor display doesn't automatically show.

Even so, thank you Tesla for a nice update and keep on improving. :)

OK, so I took my Model S "permanently" off Wi-Fi today - this was the second time a major delay in getting the update was ended by switching to 3G.

It may be coincidental, or it might something in my private Wi-Fi setup (great bars though), but I'm going to give this a try, because for all appearances my 6.2 came quite late by TMC standards - as did 6.1.

Both had major delays and both came once I was in 3G territory for a sufficient time, not after being on Wi-Fi. I had waited for 6.2 for weeks and within 12 hours of turning off Wi-Fi the update was available.

I see no benefit in using Wi-Fi either in my use, so there seems to be no harm in trying if this helps at all.

Just my personal experience, and may be coincidental of course.