TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Updates from Palo Alto: Panoramic Roof, Homelink, Nose Cone, More

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by MikeK, Aug 11, 2012.

1. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Greetings! Well, my feet are sore, I'm a bit sunburned, and probably a bit dehydrated, but I spent a delightful 7.5 hours at the Palo Alto Get Amped event today, and I came back with some photos I thought would be broadly interesting.

I'm going to link to this thread from a number of others, but I thought it might be useful to people to collect them in one place. Here we go!

First: An updated version of the panoramic bar cover. You can see that it has gotten much more svelte and low profile, with the gaps evident for the roller shades. There were a couple of cars at the event that had this revised cross bar, and with the preparation around the headliner for the shades to roll in their tracks:

IMG_0266.JPG

An update for @ddruz on the cup holders. I brought a metal water bottle with me. I believe it would qualify as a "standard 3 inch" bottle, although it actually measures almost exactly 2.75 inches. Here it is in one of the cup holders:

IMG_0261.jpg

The cars on display had Homelink available on the touch screen. It seems like a very nice implementation. There's a small icon at the top of the screen, and tapping it drops a little menu with your programmed HomeLink buttons, plus an option to add more:

IMG_0282.JPG

If you choose the option to add more, you get to this dialog:

IMG_0279.JPG

VINs: Several recent-production cars were in attendance. (I heard somebody say "built last week"):

Pacific Blue: 5YJSA1DP6CFP01201
    Black: 5YJSA1DP9CFP01208
    Signature Red Performance: D'oh! Sorry, I missed this one.

I'm among those who have been concerned about panel gap & flush on the early cars. I'm happy to say that the panel fit has clearly improved on all of these more recent cars:

IMG_0334.JPG

This may or may not be news, but I didn't realize that you could put the temperature adjustment right onto one of the thumb wheels on the steering wheel and control it from there:

IMG_0263.JPG

I've probably forgotten something. But, hopefully this is interesting.

Attached Files:

2. MikeK

Please ignore the "attached thumbnail" of the Signature Red. I had originally intended to use that to show improved gap, but the other side of the car didn't look so good, and I'm honestly a bit unsure as to whether that car is among the new production, so I used the black car instead. For some reason, the forum software doesn't want to let me remove that attachment. :(

For sure, the black and blue cars had updated VINs and nicely improved gaps. We were also told that even newer cars looked even better.

3. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Other thing they said was a first for this event was a red car with the solid black roof. And that car also had the final nose cone design. I have pictures of it on my iPad, but for some reason the forum software doesn't show the upload button on iPad.

4. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Offtopic: to upload a file from an iPad you have to jailbreak it and get safari upload enabler.

5. 1young1

1young1 Model S #P5673

MikeK, thanks for the great info! Nice to know about the panel gaps being resolved and the pano roof bar looking a tad better.

6. MikeK

That was the Sunset Red (2013 red). It was actually at the Fremont event as well, so far as I know. The confusing thing is that that car definitely had a different nose, but even the "built last week" cars did not share that nose. It was the only car there that looked this way:

IMG_0273.JPG

7. hvb

hvb Member

You are the man, MikeK! Thanks for all the new info and photos (here and on the other threads).

8. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

MikeK, thanks for taking the time to share your photos and findings.

9. MikeK

Oh! I'm sorry, I forgot to mention. I was told that the Pano bar "may" ultimately be wrapped with the same material as the headliner. The person I spoke to wasn't sure.

Two more shots of the Pano bar as it was today:
    IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0291 - Version 2.JPG

10. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Mike, do you have any pictures of these? The bolded digits are a forum first, to my knowledge.

11. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Great post mike!

12. ddruz

ddruz Member

#12 ddruz, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
    Muchos mahalos MikeK!

13. MikeK

Are you looking for the cars, or the VINs themselves? (The answer is "yes" to both...)

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Pictures of the VINs with, ideally, a text or photo description of the vehicle color/perf/etc.

15. ddruz

ddruz Member

Mike K, What was your impression of the panel gaps on the white cars? I recall this was a concern of yours before.

16. MikeK

@ddruz: The white cars were the same ones we've seen before, unfortunately. My thinking is that a white car with panel gaps similar to the new blue and black cars would look pretty nice. Getting very close to that Santana Row video, but not quite as tight.

@brianman: Okay, here are the VINs. I'm sorry, I think at least one of the black cars was performance, but it was sort of "stealth" performance -- no dark wheels or spoiler. And I'm not sure if it was the one with this VIN or the other. I don't think the blue was Performance, but don't hold me to that.

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Thanks, MikeK, for the VIN pictures and the rest.

18. ddruz

ddruz Member

Again, thanks MikeK. Further excellent information. You deserve some kind of TMC medal.

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Or use tapatalk. Anywho, thanks for clearing up homelink, I think that's a good implementation (especially if it's easy to hit when driving into your neighborhood). Panel gaps look great now, and I do believe the temperature thing is new!

20. STxTesla

STxTesla Sig #1278

Thanks Mike....great pics and report!