Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates on black MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
black/black here, ordered a few weeks ago. Other than phone call from LV, nothing. if it makes you feel any better, they are making improvements to MY on daily basis. Id really like if mine came with the back seat issue addressed, as well as working hooks and the heat pump dampening cover. So every day you wait, your car will get better :)

Reactions: beezy and Raiders
I'm new to Tesla so I haven't followed closely when they launched the Model 3 a few years ago. Was it the same thing with black not being included in the early production? I would have figured that Black would be a very commonly ordered color....right up there with white or silver.

I'm new to Tesla so I haven't followed closely when they launched the Model 3 a few years ago. Was it the same thing with black not being included in the early production? I would have figured that Black would be a very commonly ordered color....right up there with white or silver.
No, there were many Black Model 3's when they first delivered. I believe Black was the default (no cost) exterior color for Model 3 at that time.

black was default free color for model 3 when it launched. Like the white color is now. But due to black showing scratches and imperfections more easily they got tired of declined deliveries So they switched to white which masks them better. Black is likely last as to avoid cars coming back for paint fixes. Also going last gives them time to perfect the process.

• Informative
black was default free color for model 3 when it launched. Like the white color is now. But due to black showing scratches and imperfections more easily g to hey got tired of declined deliveries So they switched to white which masks them better. Black is likely last as to avoid cars coming back for paint fixes. Also going last gives them time to perfect the process.

I'm fine waiting longer as I'm not in a huge rush for my car. In a sick way, I love the anticipation of this time right now where you can pre-order parts and accessories. I enjoy seeing others take delivery and watching both negative & positive reviews.

You are right though, going last will hopefully assure they fix some of the things we've been reading/hearing about the last couple of months. The biggest things I've read that I hope they rectify are the loud heat pump, rear seat buttons not working properly and rear seat alignment issues. Also I see they've made several software upgrades. I hope by the time we get ours that they have fixed the window glitch where the window doesn't retract upon closing the doors.

It’s pretty annoying. They called me late March for my black/black AWD 19 FSD Los Angeles saying my car was ready, haven’t heard a thing since. Most people I assume ordered black when it was the free color March 2019 which means those cars are the least revenue generating for them so no rush to produce them... annoying that the earliest reservers are waiting the longest.

I actually just got off the phone with the Tesla dealer in Charlotte. I have a black/black AWD 20 reservation and he told me that these wouldn't start getting produced for at least 7 more weeks. He told me if I switched to MSM/black, the delivery timeline would be 4-7 weeks, so I'm thinking about switching just to get it sooner since my current lease is about up. He also said that they have a few MYs there that I can test drive, so I may check it out this weekend.

Reactions: DavidAsheville
I actually just got off the phone with the Tesla dealer in Charlotte. I have a black/black AWD 20 reservation and he told me that these wouldn't start getting produced for at least 7 more weeks. He told me if I switched to MSM/black, the delivery timeline would be 4-7 weeks, so I'm thinking about switching just to get it sooner since my current lease is about up. He also said that they have a few MYs there that I can test drive, so I may check it out this weekend.
Did he mention if you'll have to pay the additional $1k for paint upgrade? I'm assuming you got the solid black colour when it was a free option?