Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates on SB 255, a new pro-Tesla bill introduced in 2018 New Mexico legislative session

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better yet. Look at the committee schedule and go in to show your support! Right now it is in the Senate committees committee. It Isn't on the schedule yet but I will keep an eye on it and post here when I see it. I have already emailed my senator and I plan to go to all committee hearings on this as at least one voice against the NMADA.

• Disagree
Reactions: rhumbliner
Call the governor's office at 505-476-2200 to ask her support for the bill. Apparently the governor has control as to whether this will even be considered this legislation session which is scheduled to end this week!

Apparently it is too late for this session. The governor refused to give an executive message on the bill. There is still a chance something can happen this year though so, yes, keep up the calls. Don't let NMADA have the last word on this legislation.

Yeah, unfortunately SB 255 did not get exec-message'd by the Governor which left everything else moot.

But Tesla and the lawmakers are still going to be engaged and talking in the coming weeks and months, and I suspect there will be a hearing this summer. So stay tuned. We are not done until there's local service and sales here in NM.

If you're not aware, the way to get involved in NM is to join the Tesla Owners Club of New Mexico: Tesla Owners Club of New Mexico (Santa Fe, NM)

We meet monthly alternating between the ABQ area and the Santa Fe area, and are active with the legislature and Tesla to change the law. Right now we're awaiting word next steps for us to take, once the latest form of the bill being filed with the legislature this week or next. In the meantime, never hurts to strike up a conversation with the elected house and senate officials in your district.

I think you mean SB 140 (you linked to the right bill but mis-typed the number). At least technically it's obviously a new bill, as it has a new number and is pre-filed for the 2019 legislative session. It's basically the coming session's "Let Tesla sell/service in NM" bill. However it seeks to achieve that end through more restrictive means. The biggest difference is that the previous bill allowed a manufacturer to be licensed as a dealer and sell direct so long as (1) it only sold their own make of car and (2) they didn't already have any independent franchise dealers in the state. That was it. No other unique restrictions. The new bill provides some more protections for already existing dealers and limitations on the qualifying make-up of the new entity. It's allowed only so long as the manufacturer:
  1. does not have a franchise agreement with a dealer in the state;
  2. manufactures only motor vehicles that are powered solely by electricity;
  3. sells at retail only all-electric motor vehicles manufactured by the manufacturer;
  4. does not sell or service new or used all-electric motor vehicles at more than three locations within the state;
  5. does not hold a controlling interest in another manufacturer or a subsidiary, affiliate or entity owned or controlled by another manufacturer; and
  6. is not owned or controlled by another manufacturer or a subsidiary, affiliate or entity owned or controlled by another manufacturer;
Biggest one that's relevant to Tesla being that it includes a limit of three locations within the state. It also includes language to prevent legacy automakers from bypassing their dealerships by exploiting the use of subsidiary companies or other types of entities that they either own, are affiliated with, or have controlling interests in. And it limits the new direct sales/service to manufacturers which solely make pure EVs.