Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates stopped on "Advanced" car -- continue on "Standard" car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2018 M3LR (HW2.5, update:standard) and a 2019 M3P (HW3, FSD entitlement, FSD opt-in, update:advanced). I've realized that over the last few of weeks, the M3LR has gotten several updates ahead of the M3P.

Usually, the M3P has gotten updates when they reach about 5% of the fleet (per TeslaFi firmware page), and the M3LR waits until quite a bit later (and skips many of the point releases). As of this morning, though, the M3P is still at 2021.32.22, and the M3LR is at 2021.36.5.1.

Both on good WiFi, parked right next to each other every night. Do I need to opt out of FSD opt-in to get an update? I'd like some of that tasty new AutoPark.

"What's up with that?"

I just opted out on my Model S, so we’ll see what happens. My wife’s Model 3 is still in the queue, but the safety score for her car (which I drive too) is even worse than mine, so I’ll probably opt out there if my S starts getting updates.

Not sure how long it takes for the mobile app to respond to opt in/out changes, but I still see the Safety Score for my car.

I just opted out on my Model S, so we’ll see what happens. My wife’s Model 3 is still in the queue, but the safety score for her car (which I drive too) is even worse than mine, so I’ll probably opt out there if my S starts getting updates.

Not sure how long it takes for the mobile app to respond to opt in/out changes, but I still see the Safety Score for my car.

My experience was a couple of hours -- safety score then disappeared from the app. (As related above, I then opted back in to reset my score, but now I'm thinking about opting out, having discovered how slowly I am required to take corners.)

Experiment log (2018 M3P+):
2 Nov, about 4PM: Opted out of FSD request. Software menu: no updates for you.
2 Nov, about 7PM: Confirmed Safety Score had disappeared from app.
3 Nov, about 8AM: Software menu: no updates for you

Looks like it takes more than a day or two to start getting updates again.
I opted out on a Sunday and opted back in four days later on Thursday evening. Made sure to keep score at 99-100 then got FSD that weekend which is currently an update to 2021.36.5.3. YMMV though.
Not sure its obvious, but once you're opted in and along the FSD beta path you're pretty much certain that you will not be in the normal software update path as the rest of the fleet.
I was the same as you and figured I'd never get the beta with my score hovering between 96-97, so I waiting until circumstances allowed me to consistently keep a high score then did the opt out/in. In my case I knew I was driving more than 100 miles on the Friday morning.

Looks like it takes more than a day or two to start getting updates again.
[...]
Not sure its obvious, but once you're opted in and along the FSD beta path you're pretty much certain that you will not be in the normal software update path as the rest of the fleet.

Not sure. That seems to be the general thought, but @mrvtjh indicated here that they got an update a couple of days after opting out. My circumstances won't allow me to create eligibility for this Friday, so I'll stick with opting out for several days and see what happens.

Appreciate the anecdote about your successfully creating eligibility -- that was my thought, but yours is the first clear example I've seen with timing.

4 Nov: various times: Software menu: no updates for you
5 Nov: about 8AM: Software menu: no updates for you
5 Nov: about 3PM: Software menu: Update for you: 2021.32.31

Last edited:
Reactions: NJEV-Don
To be clear that this doesn't put you on a non-FSD software track... does .32, .26, ... still have The Button?
2021.32.31 still has the button, and that was the only thing mentioned in the release notes. I don't know about the newer builds that introduced the Sentry Mode Live View, since I didn't get one of those yet.

My wife's Model 3, which is still in the Beta queue, hasn't received any update since 2021.32.20.