Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates Tesla has made to the M3 thus far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've learned from various posts and YouTube videos that Tesla has already stealth updated some of the hardware in the M3 since it's release. I figured it would be useful to try to crowd source a list of changes so they are all in one spot. So far I've learned about the following updates:

- Mid 2018: Seats were upgraded with cushier and higher seats.
- Late 2018: Suspension was upgraded to provide a less harsh ride
-???: Trunk garnish to cover sharp and rough spots
-???: Steering wheel Tesla logo is matte finish
-???: Different headliner fabric
-???: UV coating only on front section of glass roof

What else?

Great video that highlights all of the changes other than the suspension: See The Changes: Old Versus New Tesla Model 3: Video

- Change to headlight pattern for better spread - ~June
- PMSR Motor went from "C" to "D" - ~June
- Trunk seal was updated to increase the gap for rain water to flow when opening the trunk~ Summer
- Charging port redesign to stop freezing stuck ~ Feb '19
- Drive selector stalk was redesigned so the black plastic won't pop off (according to a Ranger)~ Summer
- Glove box actuator redesign ~Summer

That's all I can think of for now.

All of the glass on the car has UV rejection. The top and rear glass also have IR rejection films. The rear glass versions without the dielectric stack coating that creates the thin film coating effect (no orange color) has been confirmed to also have IR rejection, and actually appeares to have better IR rejection, but just doesn't have the orange color effect.

From what I've read it seems the actual UV protection is unchanged as the rear is still coated but was done by a different supplier that doesn't have the orange glow when wet.[/QUOTE

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
All of the glass on the car has UV rejection. The top and rear glass also have IR rejection films. The rear glass versions without the dielectric stack coating that creates the thin film coating effect (no orange color) has been confirmed to also have IR rejection, and actually appeares to have better IR rejection, but just doesn't have the orange color effect.

Ah, this is great. I was worried they just removed some of the coating. Do you remember the source that found this?

- Change to headlight pattern for better spread - ~June
- PMSR Motor went from "C" to "D" - ~June
- Trunk seal was updated to increase the gap for rain water to flow when opening the trunk~ Summer
- Charging port redesign to stop freezing stuck ~ Feb '19
- Drive selector stalk was redesigned so the black plastic won't pop off (according to a Ranger)~ Summer
- Glove box actuator redesign ~Summer

That's all I can think of for now.
yeah i pointed the trunk seal out to Tesla back last february and they updated it ~summer. I got mine replaced with the newer seal but water still runs straight through. oh wells..

To combine everyone's input:

- Late 2017: Different headliner fabric (alcantara only first couple hundred VIN vs cloth) + Some vanity mirror has cloth vs alcantara as well?
- Mid 2018: Seats were upgraded with cushier and higher seats.
- Mid 2018: Bulletin for Front Stabilizer Bar Links Due to Ball Joint Stud Cracking
- Mid 2018: Trunk Gas Strut (at least for mine)
- Mid 2018: Suspension was upgraded to provide a less harsh ride (twice for RWD, late 2017, June 2018)
Suspension was changed twice for RWD.

Once in late 2017, once in June of 2018.

There's a thread when the parts catalog first came out with the exact dates and specific PNs if anyone cares to search for it.
- Mid 2018: Trunk garnish to cover sharp and rough spots (got mine installed Jul 2018)
-???: Steering wheel Tesla logo is matte finish
-???: UV coating only on front section of glass roof.

- Mid 2018: Bulletin for HV battery breathers
- Mid 2018: Change to headlight pattern for better spread - ~June
- Mid 2018: PMSR Motor went from "C" to "D" - ~June
- Mid 2018: Trunk seal was updated to increase the gap for rain water to flow when opening the trunk~ Summer
- Mid 2018: Drive selector stalk was redesigned so the black plastic won't pop off (according to a Ranger)~ Summer
- Mid 2018: Glove box actuator redesign ~Summer
- Mid-Late 2018: Better overall insulation
- 2019: Charging port redesign to stop freezing stuck ~ Feb '19 (i got bulletin for Charge Port Insulator Pins ~Jan 2019)