TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Updates to Model 3 Owner's Manual, including speed limit sign recognition

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by willow_hiller, Jun 6, 2019.

1. willow_hiller

willow_hiller Active Member

• Informative x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. willow_hiller

Here's the link to a comparison between the two PDFs Draftable Free Online Compare for Word, PDF, PowerPoint

And here are the OP's spotted changes:

• Lists minimum firmware version to which it applies on the cover
    • Calls out that premium connectivity is needed for web browsing (pg 5)
    • Changes power-up authentication period from 2 min to 30 seconds (pg 8)
    • Numerous minor changes to key management section (pg 10)
    • Recommendation on how to unfreeze charge port (pg 11)
    • Window calibration technique added (pg 14)
    • Change to tow eye cover based on production date and confirmation that frunk cannot be opened externally if vehicle still has 12V power (pg 18)
    • Notes about accessories and 12v battery power (pg 21)
    • Warning about certain child seat anchors (pg 31)
    • Location-based mirror auto-folding behavior described (pg 44)
    • Note that vehicle auto-shifts to park when in neutral when you leave the driver's seat (pg 46)
    • Note about on-screen vehicle visualization when other vehicles are in blind spot (pg 53)
    • New (to me at least) recommendation to lubricate brake calipers every 12,500 miles in areas where roads are salted in winter (pg 56)
    • Note that track mode may have reduced endurance and performance on vehicles without the performance upgrade package (pg 62)
    • Note that dashcam now requires 1GB of free space for every 10 min of video (due to additional cameras) (pg 65)
    • Stop light warning and auto lane change confirmation (pgs 78-80)
    • Numerous changes to summon section, but no mention of enhanced summon yet. Appears to be new (to Model 3) to tell summon on screen to initiate after you exit the vehicle (pgs 85-86)
    • New lane departure features (pgs 87-88)
    • Mention of speed assist being able to read speed limit signs (pg 94)
    • Dog mode (pg 106)
    • Sentry mode behavior detailed (pg 120-121)
    • New mention of CHAdeMO adapter (pg 128)
    • High use supercharger limit mentioned. Specifically called at as being in place when not using trip planner, and indicates that you can override (pg 134)
    • New service interval recommendations (pg 136)
    • TPMS reset (pg 142)
    • Curb and GVWR weights for SR and SR+ added confirming that SR battery is software locked SR+ (pg 161)

• Informative x 17
    • Love x 3
    • Like x 1
  3. willow_hiller

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. willow_hiller

Also an important thing to point out for people who are upset about the 80% charge limitation. Tesla is stating here that the 80% limit does not apply when you're using the Trip Planner, and overriding it is intended behavior, not a glitch:

"Note: To reduce congestion at high-usage supercharger sites, you may be automatically limited to a maximum charge of 80% when not using Trip Planner (see Trip Information). You can manually increase the limit by tapping “Set Limit” on the touchscreen or mobile app."

• Like x 2
  5. willow_hiller

Also just spotted a minor addition that might hint at Tesla making the cloth seats for the Standard Range. They added "(if equipped)" to the seat control section.

non_premium.png

• Like x 3
  6. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I'm very impressed that you were able to do the side by side comparison.

• Like x 1
  7. willow_hiller

I take no credit. It all belongs to this guy on Reddit: Starman2018 (u/Starman2018) - Reddit I just thought this forum would appreciate a relay of his info :)

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  8. ConcordeSST

ConcordeSST Supporting Member

It's a cool tool from Draftable. The free online version requires PDFs under 10MB, so you sometimes have to first compress them (many free options available such as this one.

• Informative x 1
  9. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Active Member

#9 M3BlueGeorgia, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    This feature: "Mention of speed assist being able to read speed limit signs (pg 94)" is really needed, especially in Europe where they have legally enforceable variable speed limits. The UK, in particular, has this on pretty much all their high utilization motorways.

Unfortunately, when I read page 94 for the manual is doesn't fully claim to support this feature. The description implies it might try to read signs if the GPS-based speed limit is unavailable.

The language is very fuzzy, but seems to indicate the software might read speed limit signs in certain situations. I've never seen that behavior with 2019.15.11 (or earlier builds), so perhaps some future build might support this.

• Like x 1
  10. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Oh good, the manual has lies in it now. The car still does not support configuring a summon into a spot before you get out of a car as the manual claims.

• Disagree x 6
  11. willow_hiller

The front page of the new manual says it's for firmware 2019.16.1.1 (and up, presumably). I think it's much more likely that these are planned features soon to be implemented, rather than lies.

• Like x 1
  12. run-the-joules

I'm on 2019.16.2.

The manual says that my car does something. My car does not do that. Tesla knows this is the case. Ergo, it is a lie.

• Disagree x 3
  13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

This is definitely new for the 3. I miss the "press-P-twice to summon on vehicle exit" feature from the S.

14. run-the-joules

Yup, me too. Seems like we'll keep missing it for now, at least until the car actually does what the manual claims :p

15. willow_hiller

I know the Tesla chat is mostly as well informed as we are, but maybe now that it's in the manual, it's worth asking them about it? I don't have summon, otherwise I would chat them and ask.

16. lolder

lolder Member

I noticed several weeks ( updates ) ago the speed limit changed at a different point in the road. It used to do it right at the location of the new limit sign. It now seems to do it a hundred yards before when the sign is in view. Obviously it is a coming feature if not already here. It appears that there may be separate coding groups working on different features like stop lights/signs, parking lot signs, etc. I think they are all going to come together soon.

• Like x 2
  17. Another Bill

Another Bill Member

For what it's worth, ran a very red light and the Model 3 did beep at me, albeit after I entered the intersection. I imagine it's beginning to track red lights and speed limit signs in preparation for city AP.

• Informative x 2
  18. tljdesign

tljdesign Member

My Model 3 does this. Used it yesterday. 2019.16.3.

19. run-the-joules

Well I'm happy it's not complete horsecrap, but of course now I'm extra annoyed that my so called "priority" for updates is proving to be a lie instead.

20. willow_hiller

You can double-tap the parking button, and your car will summon itself into the garage?