Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates to Model 3 Owner's Manual, including speed limit sign recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed several weeks ( updates ) ago the speed limit changed at a different point in the road. It used to do it right at the location of the new limit sign. It now seems to do it a hundred yards before when the sign is in view. Obviously it is a coming feature if not already here. It appears that there may be separate coding groups working on different features like stop lights/signs, parking lot signs, etc. I think they are all going to come together soon.
I have noticed this too, however while the operation is consistent on a per sign basis, it is not consist in operation overall as with some signs the indicated speed changes right at the sign as before. Also with the same update I have noted many roads where there was no speed limit displayed before where the correct limit is now displayed. So it appears there has been a large scale update of the GPS based maps. However I have also noticed some very specific new errors - e.g. in a long stretch of road near me where the speed limit is 50, there is a short section where the Model 3 now thinks it is 30 (there is no sign, and it never was 30 - just an error) and suddenly applies the brakes - a bit scary if there is someone driving behind you and for any passengers! Hopefully these issues will all get cleaned up.

I noticed something new when I took my car to the body shop. May not be new to all of you.

When he disengaged my cell phone app, he went in and put my car in 'Service Mode'. This makes it to where the technicians can't drive my car faster than 7 mph. This keeps them from having some fun with my car when I am not around- I was told by my rep.

When I dropped it off the first time in February it didn't have that option.

Just an FYI to all of you who may be dropped your car off at any shop other than Tesla Service.

• Change to tow eye cover based on production date and confirmation that frunk cannot be opened externally if vehicle still has 12V power (pg 18)
The manual initially said the same thing: that you can't use an external battery to open the frunk if the 12V battery in the car is functional. However, people were able to pop the frunk via the tow eye wires even when the 12V battery was functional and later iterations of the manual removed the statement about this technique working only if the 12V battery was dead. Now that this statement is again in the manual, has anyone confirmed this is indeed true? Or is this simply a regression error by the documentation team?

Personally I think Tesla should issue a revision to the owner’s manual with every software release, even if the only change in the manual is the sw release.

In a perfect world, the Owner's Manual would be updated with every new software release. And the bottom layer of every pizza crust would have a little crunch to it, no matter how long it had been sitting.

However, all my other cars only came with one Owner's Manual which was never updated and Tesla has much bigger things on their menu than just making sure every detail is technically correct for every single software upgrade. In other words, they upgrade the manual when they think the significance of the software upgrade requires a corresponding upgrade to the manual.

Read it and weep all the way back to your next logical replacement car, a Toyota, which only gets worse from the moment you drive it off the lot. But the manual will always be technically correct even though the car keeps getting worse.:(

In a perfect world, the Owner's Manual would be updated with every new software release. And the bottom layer of every pizza crust would have a little crunch to it, no matter how long it had been sitting.

However, all my other cars only came with one Owner's Manual which was never updated and Tesla has much bigger things on their menu than just making sure every detail is technically correct for every single software upgrade. In other words, they upgrade the manual when they think the significance of the software upgrade requires a corresponding upgrade to the manual.

Read it and weep all the way back to your next logical replacement car, a Toyota, which only gets worse from the moment you drive it off the lot. But the manual will always be technically correct even though the car keeps getting worse.:(

The car keeps getting better. Shame the company and the leg-humping contingent of the community keeps getting worse.

Certainly agree re. priorities. In the meantime, I'd like to know when OM updates happen. Just noticed a new rev of the OM which is awesome and better than any ICE hardcopy that is quietly aging in the glovebox. :) Now that I know that they actually do rev the OM, I will check on my own. +1

Reactions: StealthP3D