Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates, updates & updates...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to lock a Tesla so it WILL NOT update? Is it possible to lock a Demo FSD Tesla from updates?

Thank you

M
It's all software so I guess it is possible but it might involve some skills.

The easiest way is not to accept the updates from your car's screen. However, when I did not accept it and that worked for a while but it still stealthy did update after that. So, this might not be foolproof.

Next is to remove all the communications from your car to Tesla. I guess taking away the sim card and all wifi capability would do it.

Another way is just to go to the source code and disable the update function.

There are many safety and maintenance updates included with the car updates. If you miss one of these, you may have some issues getting the warranty to cover something fixed in an update. Safety issues and recalls are generally done via an update as well.

Reactions: robert774
My car bogs down my POS WIFI so I do not connect my car unless there is an update notification on the app. I've not had it download any update when driving around town.

So when I get an Update available notification I connect on WIFI and after the download forget my network. No more updates until I reconnect.

I think after they crippled some earlier cars and some refused updates, Tesla required a security update in 2020 that stated they would disable features if you didn't update. Earlier years probably had no reference to "mandatory" updates, but my 2020 Owner's Manual states:

"Note: The software update window persists
until you install the update. You must install a
software update as soon it becomes available.
Any harm resulting from failure to install a
software update is not covered by the
vehicle's warranty. Failure or refusal to install
updates can cause some vehicle features to
become inaccessible, digital media devices to
become incompatible, and can limit Tesla's
ability to diagnose and service your vehicle."

This is the only "urging" to install an update I am aware of.

Well I guess I need to clarify. As a precaution, I would like to refuse updates until I totally understand that the update does not have any "bugs" or "issues" that affect our MSP. If all looks well then I would update. Kind of like my iPhone. I get a prompt that I have an update. I check what the folks are posting, and if I think all is well, then I update. I have selected standard and advanced as update settings and still it surprises me by updating. Last update I had was automatically installed. When I went to vehicle it was all black on both screens. I did a reboot and still nothing. After 3 or 4 times I finally got info screens working. It would not be so bad except I was taking my wife to pickup her car from shop and almost did not make it in time. She finds any little thing to HATE the MSP. Lord she actually slugged my arm one day when the car phantom braked.

M