Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating a 2020 Tesla vs 2020 Updating a Land Rover - A lesson in WTF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, on Thursday my wife's 2020 Landrover Discovery popped up on her screen that there was a map update available. That was the first update since I bought it back on January 6th. So I thought that this is a great time to compare the software updating process of Tesla vs LandRover.

First Tesla (assuming App and Wi-Fi connected already)
1 - Notification of an update pushed to app on driver's phone
2 - Utilize choice of finger to press large bottom displayed on the phone screen to start the update
3 - Tesla downloads the update via wi-fi and then installs the update
4 - Notification that the update has been completed pushed to your phone
5 - Come to Tesla forum and proclaim that you have an update.

Now Land Rover.
1 - Notification of an available update only on the main navigation screen. No notification on application
2 - Click the button on the navigation screen to go to the update notification page to be told that you have to go to landrover.here.com on your cmputer for more information.
3 - Turn off car
4 - Go back into the house
5 - boot up the computer
6 - go to landrover.here.com
7 - go to maps and downloads link referenced on the notification in the car, to be told that I must first register my landrover (Why am I just hearing about this after buying it for my wife Jan 6th?)
8 - Register landrover and prompted to put in VIN
9 - Go back to download link, but am told I have no registered vehicles - pin in VIN again
10 - Type in VIN 10 more times, but doesn't save.
11 - Attempt to log in from my Macbook, my wife's MacBook, and children's Windows laptops to see if it's an issue with my browser - it is not - VIN is not saved no matter what I do.
12 - Go to forums to find that it is a common issue.
13 - Give up and go mow the lawn
14 - Two days later the update randomly pops into my head and I go to landrover.here.com and log in. VIN mysteriously populated finally
15 - Told that I must install an update application on my PC to download the update for the car
16 - Download and run the update application and can finally download 12 gig update
17 - Now copy 12 gig update from my hard drive onto USB Drive
18 - Disconnect USB drive from PC and take it to the garage
19 - Turn on Landrover and insert USB drive into USB slot
20 - Landrover no longer connected to Wi-fi - scratch my head as to why because it's sitting right next to my Tesla which is connected to Wi-Fi and both are sitting under a Cisco Meraki access point I put into the garage just for the cars.
21 - Spend 5 minutes troubleshooting Wi-Fi - find out the Land Rover no longer remembers the SSID and password
22 - Retype in Wi-Fi username and password - connect to Wi-Fi
23 - The navigation system is no longer logged into Landrover account. It needs to be connected to LandRover to verify that I'm allowed access to the update that it told me to download
24 - Sign in to Landrover Navigation system on clumsy and slow nav screen keyboard
25 - Access to update verify
26 - Car must be running to update - start car
27 - Start update
28 - 15 minutes later return to vehicle to verify that update is completed
29 - Update is completed - acknowledge system reboot
30 - Verify everything comes back online
31 - Turn off car
32 - Look lovingly back into garage at my Tesla and realize that I will never own another car brand as long as I live, and I don't care what car brand my wife thinks she's getting when her Land Rover lease is up, but her next car will be a Tesla too.

It drove me insane trying to update the navigation maps in my BMW. So complicated even though it’s “included” for the first 3 years but refuses to do it over the air.

Tesla has disrupted the industry by regularly pushing updates to both the functionality of the car and navigation. The traditional model of hoping the dealership will bother to do it next time it goes in for scheduled maintenance (what’s that?!) is so broken.

JLR - Take your FAT32 dongle and plug it in your desktop. You can use the dongle from your Tesla since it also requires FAT32.
Download the North American map onto your stick.
Stick it one of the two USB 3.0 SS ports, not the 4 other USB 2.0 ports.
Start driving. It will install while you drive.

The powertrain is now OTA, but the maps are not because they are subscription based.

Sidebar - JLR saves EVERY trip you've made since the car was first sold in an online database, and fully reads Iphones and Androids and even has HUD and all-terrain logic. Siri works with the "Speak" button on the steering wheel, but so does the JLR system in a sexy British female voice.

But in reality, I don't need map updates more than once every few years.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So, on Thursday my wife's 2020 Landrover Discovery popped up on her screen that there was a map update available. That was the first update since I bought it back on January 6th. So I thought that this is a great time to compare the software updating process of Tesla vs LandRover.

2 - Utilize choice of finger to press large bottom displayed on the phone screen to start the update

Now Land Rover.
1 - Notification of an available update only on the main navigation screen. No notification on application
2 - Click the button on the navigation screen to go to the update notification page to be told that you have to go to landrover.here.com on your cmputer for more information.
3 - Turn off car
5 - boot up the computer
7 - go to maps and downloads link referenced on the notification in the car, to be told that I must first register my landrover (Why am I just hearing about this after buying it for my wife Jan 6th?)
9 - Go back to download link, but am told I have no registered vehicles - pin in VIN again
11 - Attempt to log in from my Macbook, my wife's MacBook, and children's Windows laptops to see if it's an issue with my browser - it is not - VIN is not saved no matter what I do.
14 - Two days later the update randomly pops into my head and I go to landrover.here.com and log in. VIN mysteriously populated finally
15 - Told that I must install an update application on my PC to download the update for the car
16 - Download and run the update application and can finally download 12 gig update
20 - Landrover no longer connected to Wi-fi - scratch my head as to why because it's sitting right next to my Tesla which is connected to Wi-Fi and both are sitting under a Cisco Meraki access point I put into the garage just for the cars.
21 - Spend 5 minutes troubleshooting Wi-Fi - find out the Land Rover no longer remembers the SSID and password
23 - The navigation system is no longer logged into Landrover account. It needs to be connected to LandRover to verify that I'm allowed access to the update that it told me to download
24 - Sign in to Landrover Navigation system on clumsy and slow nav screen keyboard
27 - Start update
31 - Turn off car
32 - Look lovingly back into garage at my Tesla and realize that I will never own another car brand as long as I live, and I don't care what car brand my wife thinks she's getting when her Land Rover lease is up, but her next car will be a Tesla too.
That's right! Go tell your wife to get in line!

• Funny
Reactions: trnunes

Oh man, I feel ya. In my old Volvo S60, it took me freaking 3 dealer visits to get infotainment system successfully updated... so that it would display traffic info.....in the past year of owning my first bmw m (traded for my current Model 3), I never figured out how to update the map even though it says it is included and should be able to update automatically...spent so much time on forums and made zero progress. Now! With Tesla, car updates faster than my iPhone does :) night and day difference!

Well close. For firmware updates the download part of step 3 has already happened before step 1. Possibly Wi-Fi. Possibly cellular car service. Call that step 0.

And for maps it all happens invisibly. No interface at all.

Now Land Rover.
3 - Turn off car
5 - boot up the computer
27 - Start update
31 - Turn off car
You forget to mention:

0 - For the past week, every day and every hour, checked my Tesla Phone App to see if the last update finally shows up.

In 2018 the maps were eight years old in our three-year-old Alfa Romeo Giulietta with uConnect, so I decided that I’d get the franchised dealer to update them while the car was still in warranty. Even though there was no capability for live traffic data, it seemed like being able to navigate on new roads would be useful.

Me: “Can you get an update for the maps like the current models have? I’m happy to pay $200 or so for it if I have to”

Them: “Yes, we have access to all updates through our new online portal”

Me: “Can I download it and put it on a USB drive?”

Them: “No, only we can do that”

Me: “OK, so if I bring the car in, you can update it?”

Them: “Yes, bring it in and we’ll have a go”

(dropping off the car)
Receptionist: “what’s the problem with the car?”
Me: “I’m here to have the maps updated, please. I spoke to Paul.”
Receptionist: “Ok, the guys will get onto it soon, leave it with us for the day”

(Eight hours later)
Receptionist: “hello Sir, your car is ready to be picked up”
Me: “thanks! Did the update go Ok?”
Receptionist: “The guys didn’t find anything wrong, they checked the engine for fault codes but nothing was found. That’ll be $180”
Me: “Like hell it will”

Seems I was the first, last, and only customer ever to try and have maps updated - silly me. At least I got out of having to pay for their incompetence.

I drove home across the fields - yes, that new road to the dealership had been there for three years... the irony.

Replacing our Giulietta is my Model 3. Need I say more? It even has live traffic data; it knows when there’s a hold-up or when a road is temporarily closed! And you can search by the name of a business! Car is four years newer, but feels like we’ve moved forward 20 years... ;)

-Alex

Last edited: