Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating a 2020 Tesla vs 2020 Updating a Land Rover - A lesson in WTF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reminds me back when Nissan wanted me to pay $300 for a map update DVD. Delivery time was 6-8 weeks. Hahahaha

Toyota Prius, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Chevrolet Corvette Z06 factory navigation systems EACH wanted HUNDRED$ for map updates. Sold Jeep Grand Cherokee AND Corvette and bought our 2015 MS P85D which replaced BOTH of these cars... and turned our Prius into a hardly driven "backup vehicle".

No ICE cars in our future. Hoping the Tesla Semi to be available as an RV so we can replace our diesel powered Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter chassis) RV.

Update: I guess I had trouble doing some simple math. It's been closer to 28 years since I've had my AOL account (circa 1992). I was on their system about a year before Eternal September. I blame the 2 glasses of wine I had during dinner for the confusion about the date.

Ugh. I'd been messing with Usenet since the mid-1980s, and remember when all the AOL newbies hit the Usenet news groups. (I used to hang out in rec.autos.misc, alt.folklore.urban, and numerous others.) Usenet was never the same afterwards.

Also my Tesla won't even connect to my wifi, so land rover isn't the only one that has issues. Again, funny that people think Tesla is the be all end all in everything.

It sounds like an issue with your router. I have connected my M3 to plenty of SSID's with no issue.

No one is saying that Tesla is the end all but connecting it to a wifi network isn't hard. There is nothing special about how it connects.

Also my Tesla won't even connect to my wifi, so land rover isn't the only one that has issues. Again, funny that people think Tesla is the be all end all in everything.

If you can't get your Tesla to connect to your router then the issue is with your router - if you need help why not ask - there are many of us with networking expertise that are happy to help.

And take it down a notch there, cowboy, no one is saying that Tesla is the "be all and end all of everything" - you do understand what an anecdote is right?

Negative on the flyby there Maverick. There are VERY few things that I'm willing to tell my wife what to do - and telling her to get in line definitely ain't one of them. Becoming a Tesla only family just happens to be ONE of those few things.
I hear you, dude. I also save asserting my dominance to only the things that matter.

Ugh. I'd been messing with Usenet since the mid-1980s, and remember when all the AOL newbies hit the Usenet news groups. (I used to hang out in rec.autos.misc, alt.folklore.urban, and numerous others.) Usenet was never the same afterwards.
Yeah, if we could only have kept people away from technology, preventing mass adoption and the innovation explosions that would later be the core fundamentals for stuff like, I dunno, autonomous vehicles?

Eternal September? Want me to hold your Captain Crunch whistle while you cry? Elon Musk is a newbie in the car industry who doesn't respect the existing etiquette. Just saying.

Reactions: trnunes
Yeah, if we could only have kept people away from technology, preventing mass adoption and the innovation explosions that would later be the core fundamentals for stuff like, I dunno, autonomous vehicles?

Eternal September? Want me to hold your Captain Crunch whistle while you cry? Elon Musk is a newbie in the car industry who doesn't respect the existing etiquette. Just saying.

Then came the WWW, and forums like this one, and things _really_ went downhill. :D :D

AOL marketing was a good source of extra floppy disks too.

It was a rebuttal to "eternal September". It's an expression usually thrown out by someone who is either trying to seem more savvy than they are or someone who felt they "owned the internet" until regular people started joining.
If your comment was directed to me, since I was the one that first threw out the topic, I'd like to respond at the risk of taking this thread even more OT. I made note to Eternal September only to place a timestamp on the ownership of my AOL account. I assumed that some people here would get the reference as they are internet-savvy (or are as old as I am), while others would have to Goggle it and then may or may not understand the significance of that event.

As for my savviness, my previous work history included a stint at NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, CA back in 1973-75 as a math aide, Remote Job Entry station operator and finally a FORTRAN programmer assisting an aeronautical engineer on the first attempts at simulating aircraft performance using computers. Search the internet for references to AEROX and John Axelson. He's the engineer I worked for. I used ARPANET to play chess with other RJE operators using a simple messaging program; a precursor to computer "chat" or IM.

[soapbox]
I don't ever feel like I'm owed the internet. Yes I've used nn on a UNIX shell account during the Eternal September period to read Usenet, mostly rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5 and ba.broadcast, Also used Gopher, Archie, Veronica, Mosaic, Lynx and others I've forgotten about. However, if I DID own the internet, one of the first things I'd do is banish Facebook and Twitter as the damage they are doing to the degrade the public's overall intelligence is infinitely worse than what happened during Eternal September.
[/soapbox]

The best thing about AOL were the free 'coasters' that came in the mail.

And thankfully so.
C'mon man AOL was actually amazing in 90s. You've Got Mail. Instant Messaging. Chat rooms (especially those warez rooms). The one thing I did hate was the annoying dial up sound that is permanently embedded in my brain. Also when my mom picked up the phone and I got disconnected lol.