TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Updating a classic Model S TPMS

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Merrill, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Wondering if it is possible to upgrade my TPMS to the new system that shows each tire individually. If so has anyone had it done and what is the cost.

2. lesmoe

lesmoe New Member

Yes you can... I did mine a few months back. 1000 bucks.. works great

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I think there's a cut off .. cuz my classic S cannot be done or so the SC told me.

4. swegman

swegman Member

I have a March 2013 P85 and had the upgrade done several months ago. I had issues with repeated error messages with the original TPMS system (repeated loss of sensor signal). Updated system works great and displays tire pressure on the instrument cluster, and requires nothing to be done when tires are rotated. Cost was just under $500.

5. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I have a May 2013 so it should work as well, thanks for the info.

6. DonD

DonD Member

The upgrade is indeed possible on early production cars (mine was delivered February, 2013). My TPMS system was replaced with the new version because of repeated loss of sensor signal (similar to that reported by swegman).

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I had the upgrade done about 6 months ago on my May 2013 P85, But I've been told that The Temple of Doom (Tesla corporate) now forbids SC's from doing this. Could be wrong about that as I don't remember the source. But it can be done -- requires new TPMS hardware and a firmware upgrade by an SC.

8. JPP

JPP Active Member

Alternative...get a FOBO Plus system. Yes, aftermarket with clunky 'valve cap' sensors. But works great with lots of good notification and customization features.

9. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Can you tell me where the tire pressure read out shows, is it behind the steering wheel or center screen.

10. swegman

swegman Member

It shows on the instrument cluster in the same place where the navigation displays. You select what you want displayed on the left portion of the instrument cluster using the left rotary wheel on the steering wheel. I have my setting set to normally display the tire pressure. When you use the navigation system to guide you, the navigation "pictures" take priority over the tire pressure display.

11. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Thanks, the sc says the parts are on back order and they will let me know when they have them in stock, so I assume they can do the upgrade.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Just another data point...

A sensor went out recently and I was given the option to upgrade my Sig P85 to the new system, scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I was told out of warranty it would be ~$500.

The bad news... I'll have to upgrade my 6.2 firmware to current.

• Like x 1
  13. JPP

JPP Active Member

Or just buy the one old sensor (...maybe even from a place like Tire Rack) and get the 'good old' functionality like I have on my 2013 build. Again, I really like my FOBO Plus system--programmable, good data, connectivity...too bad the sensors are a bit clunky.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I'm confused. Why would I "buy the old sensor" (~$50) and keep the old functionality ("Hey at least one tire looks low, guess which one.") rather than pay nothing (warranty), get the new functionality ("FL: 45psi, FR 45psi, ..."), and be "current" on the tech?

15. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    #15 abasile, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    On the 2012 S 85 that we recently bought from Tesla, we almost invariably get a TPMS error ("contact Tesla service center" or something like that) after 20-40 minutes of driving, give or take. As I don't believe we have the CPO warranty, we live more than an hour away from the closest service center, and I don't feel like spending $500 on this, I'm inclined to do nothing and just ignore the error messages. They tend to go away after additional driving. In this scenario, where the TPMS errors are intermittent, will the system generally still report a low tire pressure situation? Obviously if for some period of time it isn't picking up a signal from one of the sensors, the corresponding tire won't be monitored. But hopefully the system would still report a low pressure reading from one of the other sensors.

Another point is that the car thankfully came with new tires (before selling a preowned car, Tesla will replace the tires if they have less than 6/32" of tread left, a generous policy). How likely is it that they might have partly screwed up the TPMS when changing the tires? This seems unlikely to me, but I don't know much about TPMS... In any event, we are very pleased with the car and the overall condition it was in at delivery!

16. JPP

JPP Active Member

I'm surprised that Tesla will upgrade you under warranty...

17. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I noticed TPMS errors on my 2013 S85 the other morning after driving up to Denver to get service on my broken heater. I reported it to the service center and they replaced all four sensors -- they told me they upgraded but the invoice says I just got four replaced "TPMS SENSOR BAOLONG - SILVER 4 (1010938-00-B" parts. Once again, what one is told at Denver is not necessarily what is reality at Denver.

I did ask about will I be able to see the individual tire pressures with this "upgrade" they gave me and I was told "no".

18. Btr_ftw

Btr_ftw Court Jester

I'll happily do this upgrade myself , just need the part numbers