Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating a classic Model S TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a March 2013 P85 and had the upgrade done several months ago. I had issues with repeated error messages with the original TPMS system (repeated loss of sensor signal). Updated system works great and displays tire pressure on the instrument cluster, and requires nothing to be done when tires are rotated. Cost was just under $500.

I have a March 2013 P85 and had the upgrade done several months ago. I had issues with repeated error messages with the original TPMS system (repeated loss of sensor signal). Updated system works great and displays tire pressure on the instrument cluster, and requires nothing to be done when tires are rotated. Cost was just under $500.
I have a May 2013 so it should work as well, thanks for the info.

I had the upgrade done about 6 months ago on my May 2013 P85, But I've been told that The Temple of Doom (Tesla corporate) now forbids SC's from doing this. Could be wrong about that as I don't remember the source. But it can be done -- requires new TPMS hardware and a firmware upgrade by an SC.

Can you tell me where the tire pressure read out shows, is it behind the steering wheel or center screen.

It shows on the instrument cluster in the same place where the navigation displays. You select what you want displayed on the left portion of the instrument cluster using the left rotary wheel on the steering wheel. I have my setting set to normally display the tire pressure. When you use the navigation system to guide you, the navigation "pictures" take priority over the tire pressure display.

It shows on the instrument cluster in the same place where the navigation displays. You select what you want displayed on the left portion of the instrument cluster using the left rotary wheel on the steering wheel. I have my setting set to normally display the tire pressure. When you use the navigation system to guide you, the navigation "pictures" take priority over the tire pressure display.
Thanks, the sc says the parts are on back order and they will let me know when they have them in stock, so I assume they can do the upgrade.

Just another data point...

A sensor went out recently and I was given the option to upgrade my Sig P85 to the new system, scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I was told out of warranty it would be ~$500.

The bad news... I'll have to upgrade my 6.2 firmware to current.

Reactions: Cyclone
Just another data point...

A sensor went out recently and I was given the option to upgrade my Sig P85 to the new system, scheduled for a couple weeks from now. I was told out of warranty it would be ~$500.

The bad news... I'll have to upgrade my 6.2 firmware to current.

Or just buy the one old sensor (...maybe even from a place like Tire Rack) and get the 'good old' functionality like I have on my 2013 build. Again, I really like my FOBO Plus system--programmable, good data, connectivity...too bad the sensors are a bit clunky.

Or just buy the one old sensor (...maybe even from a place like Tire Rack) and get the 'good old' functionality like I have on my 2013 build. Again, I really like my FOBO Plus system--programmable, good data, connectivity...too bad the sensors are a bit clunky.
I'm confused. Why would I "buy the old sensor" (~$50) and keep the old functionality ("Hey at least one tire looks low, guess which one.") rather than pay nothing (warranty), get the new functionality ("FL: 45psi, FR 45psi, ..."), and be "current" on the tech?

On the 2012 S 85 that we recently bought from Tesla, we almost invariably get a TPMS error ("contact Tesla service center" or something like that) after 20-40 minutes of driving, give or take. As I don't believe we have the CPO warranty, we live more than an hour away from the closest service center, and I don't feel like spending $500 on this, I'm inclined to do nothing and just ignore the error messages. They tend to go away after additional driving. In this scenario, where the TPMS errors are intermittent, will the system generally still report a low tire pressure situation? Obviously if for some period of time it isn't picking up a signal from one of the sensors, the corresponding tire won't be monitored. But hopefully the system would still report a low pressure reading from one of the other sensors.

Another point is that the car thankfully came with new tires (before selling a preowned car, Tesla will replace the tires if they have less than 6/32" of tread left, a generous policy). How likely is it that they might have partly screwed up the TPMS when changing the tires? This seems unlikely to me, but I don't know much about TPMS... In any event, we are very pleased with the car and the overall condition it was in at delivery!

Last edited:
I noticed TPMS errors on my 2013 S85 the other morning after driving up to Denver to get service on my broken heater. I reported it to the service center and they replaced all four sensors -- they told me they upgraded but the invoice says I just got four replaced "TPMS SENSOR BAOLONG - SILVER 4 (1010938-00-B" parts. Once again, what one is told at Denver is not necessarily what is reality at Denver.

I did ask about will I be able to see the individual tire pressures with this "upgrade" they gave me and I was told "no".

On the 2012 S 85 that we recently bought from Tesla, we almost invariably get a TPMS error ("contact Tesla service center" or something like that) after 20-40 minutes of driving, give or take. As I don't believe we have the CPO warranty, we live more than an hour away from the closest service center, and I don't feel like spending $500 on this, I'm inclined to do nothing and just ignore the error messages. They tend to go away after additional driving. In this scenario, where the TPMS errors are intermittent, will the system generally still report a low tire pressure situation? Obviously if for some period of time it isn't picking up a signal from one of the sensors, the corresponding tire won't be monitored. But hopefully the system would still report a low pressure reading from one of the other sensors.
Since this thread was resurrected, I'll just follow up by adding that our pre-owned Model S, which we purchased from Tesla in early Autumn 2016, did indeed come with a warranty. Tesla graciously replaced our car's TPMS with the latest version at no cost to us.

We weren't completely sure about the car's warranty status because it was a higher-mileage car sold to us "as is", though our delivery paperwork did indicate that it came with a "pre-owned" warranty. This was well before Tesla instituted their current policy of offering a two year, up to 100K odometer miles warranty on higher-mileage cars. That said, the warranty isn't going to last us too long because we've been putting a lot of miles on the Model S!