Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating early model middle row seats to Fold-Flats (both 7-seat configs)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still haven't found a solution... If I just leave the seats unplugged, the system freaks out about a restraint error and puts that stupid banner across the bottom of the screen that can't be cleared. Damn what an annoying system.

A SOLUTION WAS FOUND! I was able to convince a service center to try changing the car's configuration (at a cost of a half hour labor charge) and once *I* had to suggest to them that they needed to change the configuration on the server rather than just in the car.... It worked! The seat menu in the computer is gone, but SO ARE THE ERRORS. The seats are plugged in and happy, and I can use them in full mechanical (which is smarter anyway). I don't know if the computer is still trying to set the locking / unlocking if I push the buttons (and I won't!) because I have the seat motors unplugged anyway. The errors are gone though, that's all I care about.

If I put a watermelon on the seat it still gets snotty about an unbelted person, so that works. Presumably the airbags will work if needed too. I don't think I'll test that though.

Reactions: Bestla
A SOLUTION WAS FOUND! I was able to convince a service center to try changing the car's configuration (at a cost of a half hour labor charge) and once *I* had to suggest to them that they needed to change the configuration on the server rather than just in the car.... It worked! The seat menu in the computer is gone, but SO ARE THE ERRORS. The seats are plugged in and happy, and I can use them in full mechanical (which is smarter anyway). I don't know if the computer is still trying to set the locking / unlocking if I push the buttons (and I won't!) because I have the seat motors unplugged anyway. The errors are gone though, that's all I care about.

If I put a watermelon on the seat it still gets snotty about an unbelted person, so that works. Presumably the airbags will work if needed too. I don't think I'll test that though.

This is great news! Do you think any service center could do this?

This is great news! Do you think any service center could do this?
I do think any service center could make the change - what I had requested was that they update the configuration from the original 7 seat (pedestal) version to the folding 7 - which DOES exist as an option for a 2016. They claimed that they had done it several times and it wouldn't "stick" - which clued me in that when the car rebooted, it was pulling the configuration from the servers as I had seen similar happen in another instance. If there is ANY difference in configurations, it will always use the server version to overwrite. At first they claimed they couldn't change the server version, but then magically about 5 minutes later the answer was "oh look, it is working now" and I let them have their victory about figuring it out themselves (yeah right)...

Whether you will be able to get any other service center to make this adjustment, is TBD. I think it should be no big deal, but then we are dealing with meat flavored robots who don't always have the ability to think beyond their programming. ;)

Well the thing is - I had already bought the folding bench from a 7 seater and done the physical work to bolt it to the floor (there were some holes that needed drilling and tapping) and I had gotten the full unit with the sliding rails - but not the cover pieces. So when they opened the door it was obvious that they were not the 7 seat pedestal versions. (they are also a different color but I don't care about that either, the black looks nice in the back)

For yours - you would be removing the flooring and the two pedestals, and replacing with whatever you got. Then you just need them to program it for that.

Testing my third row - They DO work and possibly are independent of the control from the second row. I usually keep my second row in place and folded as the base for my own mattress / camping setup so YMMV but it is possible that the third row will also behave if the second is not present at all.