Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

upgarde to hw3.0 with old mcu?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if tesla offers free upgarde to hw3.0 from hw 2.0 and hw2.5 for those who bought fsd (or eap as it is called at the very beginning when hw2.0 was introduced), how will they deal about old mcu ? in my understanding fuctions such as moives, sentry mode and in-car cameras are all depend on new mcu.

So, is there any one with such experience can give some information about this?

Thanks!

I think we are all waiting to hear. What I suspect is happening is that HW2.5 is getting the initial upgrades because it's less work to do so, and eventually they will migrate AP2/MCU1 FSD buyers to MCU2 + HW3 . It's total speculation on my part though.

Reactions: Obsoletion
The only difference between hw2.5 and 3.0 is the drive computer that they swap.
Yes, which is why it's easier and less time consuming to migrate them, so they are probably trying to figure out how to scale that efficiently before tackling AP2/MCU1 cars.

Inaccurate in the sense that they are also not installing AP2.5 MCU1 cars yet, so the question is not just the APE computer swap, but also a question of whether the MCU requires something (maybe just software, maybe some new hardware).

In another thread, someone with AP2/MCU1 posted that they attempted to get HW3 installed recently and per the technician said that MCU 1 will be upgraded to MCU2, and for those with AP2 will also some cameras swapped out as well. The guy who posted said timeframe around DEC to JAN.

While it all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, somewhat promising if this is the info techs are getting from the mothership

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
In another thread, someone with AP2/MCU1 posted that they attempted to get HW3 installed recently and per the technician said that MCU 1 will be upgraded to MCU2, and for those with AP2 will also some cameras swapped out as well. The guy who posted said timeframe around DEC to JAN.

While it all needs to be taken with a grain of salt, somewhat promising if this is the info techs are getting from the mothership

While reading your post, all I could think about was NETFLIX and more video games!!!!:D

December to January 2020? lol

I have AP2.5 and MCU1 and am eagerly waiting too.

I have AP 2.0 and purchased FSD in March when it was on sale. Just asked a knowledgeable Tesla person about the timing of my upgrade to 3.0 FSD chip. We have all been assigned to 'groups', probably based on how long ago we paid for FSD. When you take your car in for service, their computer automatically populates your work order with the chip update if you are in the current group. The service centre has no say in this. Of course the MCU and the FSD chip are two different things. The FSD 3.0 chip update does not include any of the media functions, such as karaoke or Netfix. You need to upgrade your MCU for that and while Elon suggests it might be possible in the future, it's not available today. Also, I'm betting it won't be inexpensive. As a consolation however, the FSD 3.0 upgrade WILL enable Sentry Mode to record video to a thumb drive. AP 2.0 owners have what appears to be a working Sentry Mode but it is unable to record video (and so it's just a decoy for us). The FSD chip controls all of the incoming video signals and the AP 2.0 doesn't have enough horsepower to drive the car AND write to a drive. The new chip will. At least that is what I have been told.