Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 2021 SR+ to 2021 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is ‘real world’ motorway mileage? For long trips I’m finding the SR+ has a ceiling around 190-200 at 73mph cruise control (with some 50mph variable speed sections). Would a LR get me closer to 300 (so those 200 mile round trips would be no brainers without a stop)?

We all fall into the trap of having "best case" numbers in our minds. You have just quoted 190-200 miles a 73mph ... yet you then require to add the proviso comment "with some 50mph variable speed sections" ... so what if there are no slower 50 mph sections on a route, and/or it rains, or it's low winter temperatures. And this all depends on where the necessary Superchargers are located ... if there isn't one at 190-200 miles you have to stop much sooner. If you set a long route in AbetterRouteplanner for the SR+ I often find that the required legs between charges are frequently around the 100 mile mark or even less (if you stipulate 10% minimum battery at arrival). If you can leave with 100% and guarantee arriving at a Supercharger in 200 miles that's about the only scenario where we can talk about those kind of ranges.

what is ‘real world’ motorway mileage? For long trips I’m finding the SR+ has a ceiling around 190-200 at 73mph cruise control (with some 50mph variable speed sections). Would a LR get me closer to 300 (so those 200 mile round trips would be no brainers without a stop)?

I have £31700 to settle to tesla on my SR+ so that would give me £10k if motorway pay me what they say which would make a LR tesla loan doable.
We recently did a trip to South Wales with a fully loaded LR (2 adults, 2 kids, boot full of crap). The way down there it was 145 miles which used 43%. On the way back 143 miles was 54%, both ways had a couple of short stops but most of the mileage was motorway. So I reckon I would be comfortably aiming for 250 miles between charges for planning purposes, but with small children I have to stop sooner than that anyway.

The weather was pretty decent both ways, about 20 degrees and dry. Had it been rainy and windy, the consumption would have been worse.

We all fall into the trap of having "best case" numbers in our minds. You have just quoted 190-200 miles a 73mph ... yet you then require to add the proviso comment "with some 50mph variable speed sections" ... so what if there are no slower 50 mph sections on a route, and/or it rains, or it's low winter temperatures. And this all depends on where the necessary Superchargers are located ... if there isn't one at 190-200 miles you have to stop much sooner. If you set a long route in AbetterRouteplanner for the SR+ I often find that the required legs between charges are frequently around the 100 mile mark or even less (if you stipulate 10% minimum battery at arrival). If you can leave with 100% and guarantee arriving at a Supercharger in 200 miles that's about the only scenario where we can talk about those kind of ranges.
Agree. - plus is a 200 mile range full to empty or a working range? Who plans to end up somewhere with nothing in the battery? Damn risky over 200 miles as a mild head wind can drop your range by a few miles

Reactions: Adopado
My 2021 LR from December 2020, with an LG battery, according to Teslafi has an estimated range of 539 km at an ODOmeter of 10k km. (~335 Miles range)

Of course that is with current weather. See below the temperature efficiency based on the past year.

Attachments

• Temperature Efficiency.png
    Temperature Efficiency.png
    40 KB · Views: 64
My 2021 LR from December 2020, with an LG battery, according to Teslafi has an estimated range of 539 km at an ODOmeter of 10k km. (~335 Miles range)

Of course that is with current weather. See below the temperature efficiency based on the past year.

That's great but have you ever driven 335 miles 539 km in one long leg of a motorway journey? (Hint: I think I know the answer to this question!) We end up being our own worst enemies. I know it's not intentional and I am "guilty" too when I refer to some fabulously efficient examples of drives with my SR+ ... but new EV owners come on this forum thinking they have been sold a dud when their real life experience turns out to be so different (e.g. they say my parents live 300 miles away so that's great I'll just drive there without stopping in my new LR ... maybe not.). Then we tell them that they should try to keep their battery between 20-80% for best battery life ... and that the winter will reduce range significantly ... I'm voting for as much reality as possible in responding to range queries.

That's great but have you ever driven 335 miles 539 km in one long leg of a motorway journey? (Hint: I think I know the answer to this question!) We end up being our own worst enemies. I know it's not intentional and I am "guilty" too when I refer to some fabulously efficient examples of drives with my SR+ ... but new EV owners come on this forum thinking they have been sold a dud when their real life experience turns out to be so different (e.g. they say my parents live 300 miles away so that's great I'll just drive there without stopping in my new LR ... maybe not.). Then we tell them that they should try to keep their battery between 20-80% for best battery life ... and that the winter will reduce range significantly ... I'm voting for as much reality as possible in responding to range queries.
Absolutely this...

I saw one website say they worked on the real "working" range being 80% of 80% of the rated - IIRC the first 80% was to cater for using between 10% to 90% of the battery except in exceptional circumstance as the useable portion, and the other 80% to allow for winter drop off. 330 miles becomes 0.8 * 0.8 * 330 = 210 miles. It sounds a horrific difference, but I kind of agree with it and that you'd need to contemplate charging in winter if your journey was over 200 miles so not unreasonable although no doubt some will talk about not running out on a longer run but they probably brimmed it, ended up with a few % left and drove gently. It's still more than enough for 99.999% of journeys but it sets a more realist expectation.

Reactions: Adopado
If you are close to 200 miles in your SR+ then I'd expect you to see around 260 miles in an LR in similar conditions. Certainly enough range to not be concerned about a 200 mile round trip.

Reactions: Mrklaw