TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Upgrade 60 to 75 via folks on ebay?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gaswalla, Sep 18, 2017.

1. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

2. RayW

RayW Member

Definitely a scam. Tesla will do the upgrade for $500 less than those guys are asking on eBay.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

And no doubt they require all your credentials, so they can access.

Annnnnnd .... nope.

• Like x 1
  4. tedsk

tedsk Member

I imagine situation when such pricing could be reasonable - salvage car that is not officially supported by Tesla and when Tesla refuses to transfer ownership on rebuilt car. IMHO it is not necessarily a scam.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. tedsk

tedsk Member

I doubt it. They'll root the car.

6. Tummy

Tummy Member

Probably a scam, but I think the X upgrade price is still over $4,000.

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, how would a random 'upgrade' work on someone else's random car?

And what does Tesla say later when they have no record of you 'purchasing' it?

Maybe if I was *Tesla* trying to catch people I'd go for it... and LOL at the Assurant Warranty!

8. MarkDFW

MarkDFW Member

The range upgrade price on Model X is still $4500 in the US. I think the price difference between Model S @ $2000 and Model X @ $4500 is ridiculous. I think it is baked in some historical pricing differences of the models - but those have changed many times now and it no longer makes any sense.

I have done the following and would like to ask ALL of you to help me --> Login to MyTesla and use the "escalate a concern to executive management" option and ask them to explain the difference in the pricing of this upgrade. I believe the more of us point out the inconsistency the more pressure Tesla will feel to respond to this issue and do the right thing. Especially now that scammers are trying to take advantage of this price difference.

Thanks for making our voice heard on this issue community.

9. Sawyer8888

Sawyer8888 Member

There may be legitimate 3rd-party sales of Tesla batteries on eBay, however this one does not look like one of them.

Most 60 kWh batteries can be upgraded to a 75 wirelessly, which is a process completed by Tesla.

This eBay offer in question is nothing more than a screenshot of Tesla's own offer to upgrade a battery, albeit a very dated screenshot given the price shown. There's even free shipping!

8-month-old related news article

10. Zetopan

Zetopan Member

Also note that this eBay "upgrade" may only change what is displayed to the user, without actually increasing the actual range.

11. tedsk

tedsk Member

That would be fraud

12. croman

croman Active Member

Dude, you got the sweetest deal on an X ever. I wish I could've been so lucky. That's why your upgrade price costs more. There is a difference in that your X was more heavily subsidized so Tesla wants its $$ back.

13. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Scam. Do not let anyone outside of Tesla mess with the source code for your driving computer for your own safety and protection. Also its likely anything to tamper with the car will prevent you from getting any future software updates and say goodbye to any potential autopilot improvements.

14. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Oh WOW - free shipping on an over-the-air upgrade? Who would be the shipper in the first place? I want to see THAT unboxing demo.

15. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Remotely send me $2500 and I’ll remotely unlock your car. What a scam.