Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 70kWh to 75kWh: $3250???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S70 on order for late October delivery. I asked my DS what it would cost to upgrade it to the S75 (which wasn't available when I ordered the car). He quoted me $3250 to unlock the software so I would have 75kWh. Seems a tad outrageous to me, but I'm interested in the opinion of the group. Many thanks.

Bought my 70D from the showroom after a test drive. When I drove it, it was a 75D, but they were selling me the 70D. So they sent it to the servicer to downgrade it for when I picked up a few days later. I also have the option to upgrade for $3,250, but don't think I need the additional 19 miles yet. I may do it in the future.

I have a Model S70 on order for late October delivery. I asked my DS what it would cost to upgrade it to the S75 (which wasn't available when I ordered the car). He quoted me $3250 to unlock the software so I would have 75kWh. Seems a tad outrageous to me, but I'm interested in the opinion of the group. Many thanks.
It's just a little steep. The 85D to 90D last year was $3,000.

Like you when I ordered the 75 didn't exist. They offered me the upgrade to 75 for $3k provided I did it before delivery. I concluded it wasn't worth it.
It seems to me they should offer you the 3k price too since you didn't have the chance to choose it at order time

Reactions: msnow
Don't count on it. The original 40kw software limited packs can upgrade to 60kw for $10K, never seen it discounted or reduced in the 3+ years we've had ours.

Yeah, but the Gigafactory still isn't built. I'm sure that they have reduced the cost of the battery packs a little bit after 4 years of development, but it is nowhere near the 30% reduction they are predicting after the factory is done.

Seems a tad outrageous to me, but I'm interested in the opinion of the group

Normally from one (factory-installed) battery size to the next you get a few miles of range, at what seems to be a very expensive price per-mile, plus you can persuade yourself that "another 10 miles isn't going to be useful THAT often", but the bigger battery also brings with it faster supercharging (more cells, so more of them charging in parallel = more range added per minute) and that can be well worth having, if you supercharge often enough..

But with a software-limited battery you are already able to charge a) regularly to 100% (of the software-limited capacity) and b) have the faster charging rate of the larger/whole battery. Thus I reckon that the upgrades won't often be purchased.

Reactions: turbospecc
WannabeOwner:

Exactly. That is why I did not software upgrade my 70D to 75 kwh. In real life, it is the sweet spot of battery sizes. Plus, I can charge it to 100% all the time with the knowledge I won't be hurting it long term (confirmed by Tesla).