Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade 90D to 100D and lose free supercharging and ventilated seats?

Upgrade and lose seats and supercharging?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are in a similar situation to other posters, with the further complication that any change will result in us losing ventilated seats (which are no longer offered, I was told due to durability issues).

So our choices are:

(1) keep 90D order, with ventilated seats and free supercharging. We can hope that we actually get a 100 battery and its later software upgradable to a 100 (what do you think are the odds, for early April delivery?)

(2) upgrade to 100D, lose free supercharging and ventilated seats, but they will do this at no cost (other than price difference of 3k)

(3) upgrade to P100D, we keep free supercharging, but still lose ventilated seats

I am currently inclined to stick with (1) and hope we get the 100 battery and can software upgrade. I know if I choose (2) and then I heard about people who went with (1) and were able to upgrade to 100D for a fee later, I would much more upset than if I choose (1) and its not upgradable. I dont think I can quite talk myself into getting the P100D (if we could keep the seats I might do it), even though it would be fun.

In 2015 we did a 5100 mile road trip in our model S 85D. Last year the longest trip we did was 1200 miles. We contemplated towing a camper for a family trip, but I somewhat doubt we will do that in the next 4 years (and after than we will probably upgrade our car).

I am typically hot in the car when my wife is cold, so I was hoping the ventilated seats might help me feel comfortable without having to have the air blowing (does anyone know if it works this way, and if they can be on the driver side but off on the passenger side?)

We charge at home, the free supercharging would only be used on trips. Part of the consideration is what will be worth more when we sell the car in 3-4 years, free supercharging or more range (I personally think its a toss up). Being able to drive from San Jose to Monterey and back without charging (as we can in our 85D) is a big plus, but I think we could probably do that with a 90D, we would just have less margin.

Another consideration is that if a 90D built in late march is really 100 battery, even if its never upgradable, we could always charge to 100%, instead of 90% like we do today, because there is that unused margin, which would make a big difference.

..I am typically hot in the car...

If you are short in cash, X90D makes sense.

If you want more range then X100D makes sense.

I imagine that you can always plug in a portable fan if there's no ventilated seat.

I wouldn't worry about resell because it's for your happiness now and for many days and days from now, not for somebody else later.

On the Vented Seats ( which we have in a Lexus ES -- my wife's business daily driver & has held up well in 8 years )

The free SC was hard to give up... but I toiled w/ the vented seats for even longer. Eventually I came 'round.

Here's my rationale on the ventilated seat change. I was hesitant to loose them... then realized that I scuba dive & vented seats (primarily in the back where no ventilation would be offered anyway -- just holes in the seats to "look" similar) if I put any wet scuba gear on those seats --- it would wick down and go straight in. == Bad.
So from that rationale, Tesla sort of did me a favor. Of course, only applies to me... however made me realize my near error.

I then wrote up a cost/feature change summary email to my DS -- explained my understanding of the charges & changes. He replied back with a short note saying I was correct -- and he paraphrased the changes too. Which then made it easier to pull the trigger on the X100D upgrade. Bye bye seats & free SC, $3.5k, and Feb delivery. Hello range.
Plan to have this one for a long long time.

So, do I understand the OP correctly, they are offering you 2 upgrade options?
Either upgrade to a 100D w/o FUSC, or upgrade to the P100D with FUSC?
I thought FUSC was dead period and not build specific. Interesting.
If you otherwise qualify for the FUSC, you can switch to the P100D because it was already offered (in the same price book) when you placed your order. The 100D was not available when FUSC was still available.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
I was in the same boat as bws. I ordered in late December with order confirmation on the 23rd of December. I have a VIN assigned with a delivery date of February - Early March. I discussed the possible change with my son (he's 35) and wife. I was on the fence for a few days. At the end, I decided to keep my 90D order since the unlimited supercharger use (included in the X price) was worth more to me than an extra 40 miles on the battery (probably only about 30 miles under real use).

If Tesla Canada made the choice simpler, I would be upgrading to the 100D for my Model X order but because they made it about $10k more for the 100D plus I lose free charging, ventilated seats (which I like better), and my production would likely go back a month or so... I'm sticking with the 90D. I think that the increased number of superchargers will help offset the additional range.

Yinn...I'm not planning on making too many road trips and I mostly going to use this for city drive and commute.
And I have good access to super charge station.
Still I should go for 100D and give up FUSC?

Depends on your situation.

If you don't take road trips, I'm not sure why FUSC would be important to you. Unless you have an absurdly long commute with a SC on the way. Even then, would you really want to add 20-30 min to your commute while you SC?

Words of wisdom from a wife smarter than I:
- I can see where 90% of the time we would probably not need the extra range. The 10% of the time we need the range, I see how it can be annoying and irritating. (In general about going from a 75D to a 100D)

To add on to that:
Worst case having given up FUSC, you may pay some money when you charge. An amount that varies based on your driving, but no other surprises.

Worst case having given up an extra 38 mi of range?

Each situation is different for different people. I prefer the predictable, and easily addressable situations.

I jumped the 90D ship and hopped on the 100D ship today
Ordered 90D 12/18 and confirmed 12/25
Per my DS, today was my last day to make a choice for the $500 fee
Seems a bit early but I wasn't going to chance it and figured he knows a lot more then I do
Compelling decision for me was I travel a bunch and one popular segment between SC's is ~190 miles so thought the 100D would help reduce anxiety and make it with little issues
I will miss the FUSC and especially the ventilated seats but feel good with decision of 100D