Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade brake rotor/pad without changing calipers for P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can find carbon ceramic rotors with the same specs/size as stock, you should be able to use the stock calipers. That would provide the best bang for the buck. Reducing unsprung rotational mass is > than reducing just plain unsprung mass (caliper/pads).

The only issues you might have are finding compatible rotors or even a complete brake kit. I don't think the market will support much involvement from the aftermarket. I think that maybe a company or two might be willing to see if one of their off the shelf kits they make for another application will work with a modified mounting bracket or such.

I know you didn't ask but the best way to reduce unsprung weight is to get lighter and/or smaller diameter wheels. But if $ is not a consideration, getting carbon ceramic rotors/BBK is a good way to improve performance.

I don't believe any carbon ceramic rotors are compatible with the factory calipers.

First of all, there are not many 14" carbon ceramic rotors available.

Of the ones that are available, most are much thicker than 1".

The factory Performance Upgrade brake calipers can only fit 26-27mm thick rotors at the most.

To get carbon ceramic brakes will require a full upgrade of calipers, pads, and rotors (and lines and fluid while you're at it).

The Unpugged Performance carbon ceramic upgrade looks like it is pieced together from Corvette ZR1 OEM parts which are made by Brembo. These parts can be had for much cheaper by looking around online and getting a custom aluminum had made for the rotors.

I don't believe any carbon ceramic rotors are compatible with the factory calipers.

First of all, there are not many 14" carbon ceramic rotors available.

Of the ones that are available, most are much thicker than 1".

The factory Performance Upgrade brake calipers can only fit 26-27mm thick rotors at the most.

To get carbon ceramic brakes will require a full upgrade of calipers, pads, and rotors (and lines and fluid while you're at it).

The Unpugged Performance carbon ceramic upgrade looks like it is pieced together from Corvette ZR1 OEM parts which are made by Brembo. These parts can be had for much cheaper by looking around online and getting a custom aluminum had made for the rotors.
I'm also feeling the UP products are way overpriced. Do you have any idea how much a full replacement of all the brakes to carbon ceramic would cost?
Maybe I can replace the smooth rotors with drilled ones first.

Given how much our cars use regenerative braking to slow down, are carbon ceramics going to be up to any sort of operating temperature outside of track use? I only really use my brakes now to stop the last bit bringing the car to a complete stop. Coming from an M3 with carbon brakes, it was a nice add for track use, but not so much for daily driving especially in the rain.