Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade Button is Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If waiting for Model X is anything like the lead up to the first delivery of Model S, this forum is going to get pretty testy in the coming months. And once deliveries start with a predictable cadence, everything will calm down very quickly.
That why a great moderator is needed. Appreciate your calm facts throughout the board, Bonnie. I've been lurking for awhile and see your hand in many threads.

I've benefited greatly from other speciality car forums and even managed to contribute a few things over the years. I've learned a lot here on Tesla, but the best is yet to come.

If waiting for Model X is anything like the lead up to the first delivery of Model S, this forum is going to get pretty testy in the coming months. And once deliveries start with a predictable cadence, everything will calm down very quickly.

The tensest period waiting for Model S deliveries I think was caused by the unpredictability of the cadence in the early days. Everyone expected some batching, but plenty of people (including me) started freaking out when people with identical configurations and reservation numbers hundreds of slots later got earlier deliveries. I think it reached a fever pitch when the production models started getting delivered earlier than some of the signature reservations - and feelings of frustration were amplified back then because getting anyone at Tesla (which was understaffed at the time) to respond to one's e-mail was challenging.

I hope and expect things will be less dramatic for Model X buyers. For one, Tesla's customer support infrastructure is miles better. I also think production batching will be more logical and predictable since the factory is much more productive now. Plus, maybe the model x reservationists learned from those of us who regret getting so petulant over what ended up being a few weeks here or there. After a few thousand petrol-free miles all that anger just goes away...

Plus, maybe the model x reservationists learned from those of us who regret getting so petulant over what ended up being a few weeks here or there. After a few thousand petrol-free miles all that anger just goes away...

Doubtful. :) If you'll recall, Roadster owners tried calming things down, but didn't matter. New crowd of buyers and they won't want to hear from people who have been through it already. They bring their own beliefs about how car companies operate based on previous experiences. Just the way it is. (Certainly we just saw that with new folks coming on the forum after the D announcement.)

If you'll recall, Roadster owners tried calming things down, but didn't matter. New crowd of buyers and they won't want to hear from people who have been through it already. They bring their own beliefs about how car companies operate based on previous experiences. Just the way it is.

I think there is some of that going on on both sides. An outsider can bring in both ignorance and inspiration. Abhor any organization or community that gets so set in their ways that outside input is automatically considered lesser, because insiders know they know better. Eventually insiders will think they know better even when they don't. Just because some of have gone through some experiences with a company or a product (and we all have in some area), and thus are more understanding of the process, doesn't necessarily mean that's the way things should operate. Outsiders bringing in fresh perspectives from other realms of experience can actually sometimes have a better point. It happens. This is reminiscent of Tesla itself. They are the newcomer of the automotive industry. I'm sure a lot of people said they have been in the industry for years and know better than Tesla how it all works, tried to educate Tesla even.

Obviously, same with newcomers (like myself on TMC). There are lessons to be learned and minds to be opened. Equally fear the new guy who waltzes in and immediately thinks they know how to make everything better without taking the time to learn a thing. In all likelihood, they don't know jack, but they can cause a lot of damage in their ignorance if they think too much of themselves.

As for the Model X roll-out, this is what I've been pondering: A lot of the grievance people are going through now, and are expected to go through over the actual roll-out period, could perhaps be improved through better company communications? It is one thing that communities like this can educate, but actually the best source for education would be Tesla itself. Just an idea.

Doubtful. :) If you'll recall, Roadster owners tried calming things down, but didn't matter. New crowd of buyers and they won't want to hear from people who have been through it already. They bring their own beliefs about how car companies operate based on previous experiences. Just the way it is. (Certainly we just saw that with new folks coming on the forum after the D announcement.)

To be fair, Roadster owner or not, telling me not to be annoyed at getting a Signature car AFTER Production cars AND after GeorgeB specifically said that wouldn't happen just wasn't going to work.

I don't think that anybody would disagree that Tesla could and should do better with communication. But given what we've seen with the S roll out, we have learned to hope for better but expect the same. You learn patience dealing with this company ... :)

I don't think that anybody would disagree that Tesla could and should do better with communication. But given what we've seen with the S roll out, we have learned to hope for better but expect the same. You learn patience dealing with this company ... :)

After hitting the upgrade button on the 19th and seeing a signature number that same day my dashboard has said Downgrade Initiated since the phone call. I requested a check and maybe it has to be cut or clear first before the website can update, but who knows? I'm not worried—although I would like to have had that cash yesterday to buy in on the dip—but I have learned not to trust the dashboard. I do trust that I'm going to have a fantastic car in my garage sometime after about 10,000 other people have there's.

My funds were just deposited into my account very early this morning. I'm guessing your cheque is enroute.

As long as they didn't return my funds, I held out hope, but, nope, now I'm just one of the hoi polloi again with a thirteen thousand reservation. :)

My funds were just deposited into my account very early this morning. I'm guessing your cheque is enroute.

As long as they didn't return my funds, I held out hope, but, nope, now I'm just one of the hoi polloi again with a thirteen thousand reservation. :)

That's why I had them send me a check, instead of wire the money into my account...I can live the dream a few more days. Then wait a day or two to deposit the check.

I just looked...my Downgrade label is gone...and so is my original Reservation #, I have #14,304 showing. Looks like I need to call or email them (will wait till the check is in my hands.)

Oh, I hadn't noticed. I'm now 14308. I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Now, to see what fun stuff they send us for this little roller coaster ride! I hate to be greedy, but I like those TM blanket throws. I just don't have enough need for one to justify the cost. So if they toss in a throw and a set of wheel locks for my X (I already bought a set for my S), I'd be perfectly happy wrapped snug as a bug in my blanket waiting for my X. :D

I am not getting my hopes up for anything really good. Earlier this year when Tesla royally screwed up a online order my friends made, Tesla sent a nice metal water bottle with a small dent in the bottle (a unsalable item).

If Tesla is watching this and WANTS to do right, they can send me one of those nice messenger bags. :biggrin:

MyTesla page is now updated with original sequence number. I was hoping to see a reality adjustment to reflect the reservations that of been canceled for the D but there has been no precedent for adjusting the the sequence numbers because of cancellations so I wasn't expecting too much. New reservations after buttongate would be off at least by as many people who tried to upgrade but that is probably only a few.

Has anybody who had the upgrade cancelled received their goody bag/package yet from Tesla?

Also, did anyone request a refund check to be sent (for the cancelled Signature X Upgrade), and received a check in the mail YET?

I haven't received either so far.

No swag bag yet but the interesting story is the refund. I asked for a check because otherwise it would've had to give my checking account information over the phone (that's what they said) which I did not want to do but later I made a comment in an email about how I would've liked to have had the money back when TSLA was trading at an unreasonably low price and then suddenly the money was back in my account about two days later—unfortunately that was one day after the D tweet.

As for swag, the only test items I have are ones given to me by friends who I encouraged to go on a test drive as gratitude for a most thrilling experience.

Well, the apology swag from the signature downgrade showed up from Tesla today:
-Tesla Lambswool Blanket;
-travel coffee tumbler
-water bottle
-cap

Now all I need is a Tesla!

It turns out that with the latest Model X delay the signature value to me is limited after all, since it no longer looks like I could have received the X prior to WA state sales tax on EVs being re-instated July 1, 2015 in any case. Now it's up to WA state legislature to save me $10K.