Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, looking for some feedback or other buyers experience with the following issue...

Ordered a SR+ mid July. Got an email with invoice and VIN early September asking for payment of balance which i duly did. Delivery date on invoice was early October.

With a week to go to delivery, i started calling Tesla and after the usual 30-40 min wait, got to speak to someone and given that i had paid, asked if the delivery could be brought forward. Was told the delivery point would get back to me. Nothing.
Similar experience 4 days before scheduled delivery date.
The day before scheduled delivery with not a peep from Tesla, i called them again. Was told that someone would get back after lunch. Nothing. 4pm day before scheduled delivery date I called again. Was told that no booking was in the system for next day but that someone from the delivery point would get back to me within the hour. Nothing.

As i had booked the day off work anyway, i drove to the delivery point and was finally told that there was a VIN error and someone else had that car!!!!

I was told that there were some LR cars that could be assigned to me if i wanted to upgrade. Nothing would be done on the price however. I was then informed that a P- was available at the full current price. Given that i have paid the full balance on the SR+ i suggested that the fair upgrade cost would be the current price differential between the SR+ and the P-.ie £8000 or thereby. Not according to Tesla. They wanted the current price of the P- minus my pre price increase amount for my SR+ so £10700 - even though they will sell my cancelled SR+ at the new price!

Fair?

You’ve paid Tesla £x so are in credit for that amount with them . They are offering you a P- for the current price of £y. Therefore the amount you should be paying them is £y-x. You could argue that you’ve been messed about and seek a discount but, logically, they are correct and the current price difference between a SR+ and a P- has nothing to do with it.

In the States Tesla Pressures you to Pay up front. But you don't have to. I only pay after inspection.
Now some states you cannot purchase legally in that state and you must pay up front.
I'm not sure the rules in UK but I would not have paid or checked into it.
You'd be in a better bargaining position had you not already forked over the money.

I think they should give you some sort of break because they screwed you and broke the contract you had with them.
Tell them you want you money back.

I can't believe just how badly screwed up their systems and processes are. The whole way they handled your order and collection just smacks of chaos and incompetence. If they had any sense of how to treat customers they'd have done the deal you suggested. Unfathomable.

You’ve paid Tesla £x so are in credit for that amount with them . They are offering you a P- for the current price of £y. Therefore the amount you should be paying them is £y-x. You could argue that you’ve been messed about and seek a discount but, logically, they are correct and the current price difference between a SR+ and a P- has nothing to do with it.
Hi JCremonini, I agree with your logic but my argument was that with my offer, Tesla were breaking even on the transaction. They were getting the same combined amount for both cars. Surely given the s*****y service, that is the least they could have done.
Was point blankly told that Tesla don't give discounts but, given other posts on here, that isn't strictly true.

Hi JCremonini, I agree with your logic but my argument was that with my offer, Tesla were breaking even on the transaction. They were getting the same combined amount for both cars. Surely given the s*****y service, that is the least they could have done.
Was point blankly told that Tesla don't give discounts but, given other posts on here, that isn't strictly true.

Out of interest what was the colour and proposed price for the P- ?

if it’s under £48-49k I would consider taking it as that would be the cheaper price they have sold these at and not an inflated price since the price changes.

Little point asking these people for deals until the end of quarter and even then you have to speak to the right people, even if the service has been crap they just aren’t accountable enough.