Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade Existing System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am upgrading my existing 7.5kw/2 PW system to add an additional 4kw/1PW.

After placing my order and credit card charged I cannot see the new system on my Tesla account. Had to email my electric bill to Tesla Energy support since there is no other way to track or update my install process.

Multiple calls to Tesla Energy support have not yielded any resolution.

Anyone else have this issue? If so what was the fix?

Trying to avoid freezing in Texas or relying on the unreliable Texas Electric Grid.

After placing my order and credit card charged I cannot see the new system on my Tesla account. Had to email my electric bill to Tesla Energy support since there is no other way to track or update my install process.

Trying to avoid freezing in Texas or relying on the unreliable Texas Electric Grid.
I can take a few weeks (or perhaps longer in Texas after the freeze event) for them to work on your account. Until then silence. They have a much smaller staff relative to the number of customers than other companies. That is one way Tesla operates and is able to give customers such low prices.

Curious for my own info was your original PV / powerwall installed by tesla ?

How does one expand their panels/PW system? Do you mean adding a completely new system? I was told that was the only way to do so, adding a completely new/additional everything (which seems to me to be overkill), new inverter, cabling, disconnects, etc.

This is one regime where having microinverters makes it quick & easy! I just had 8 panels added to my original 27. Put on the mounts, mount the panels, connect the wires. Done.
But I assume you cannot connect like over 16 ideally on a string. So depending on setup, it maybe a little more complicated if new strings have to be added and routed to the inverter?

There is no inverter to route to - each panel has its own inverter! They are all routed to a "combiner", which is a set of circuit breakers and monitoring software. Mine has 3 x 20A CBs, so 4.8 kW x 3 = 14.4 kW max; it can hold 90A CBs....

This is one regime where having microinverters makes it quick & easy! I just had 8 panels added to my original 27. Put on the mounts, mount the panels, connect the wires. Done.

Depends. We added 4 panels to a string inverter a couple years ago. Took < 2 hours total, we simply made a string of 7 into a string of 9 and a string of 8 into a string of 10. SUPER EASY and much cheaper. Materials cost was ~$750. With micros it would have been ~$1300. If your micro string is tapped out you need to run another AC line and another breaker. Then what happens if you're at the amp limit of your panel? Now you also need a panel upgrade... hugely complicates things.

Last edited:
Depends. We added 4 panels to a string inverter a couple years ago. Took < 2 hours total, we simply made a string of 7 into a string of 9 and a string of 8 into a string of 10. SUPER EASY and much cheaper. Materials cost was ~$750. With micros it would have been ~$1300. If your micro string is tapped out you need to run another AC line and another breaker. Then what happens if you're at the amp limit of your panel? Now you also need a panel upgrade... hugely complicates things.

@nwdiver - was that an addon to a Tesla panel system with PW - the PW probably doesn't matter. I am looking to up to 4k and my existing 8.8k system on 1 string. The SE inverter is rated for 10.9k but I am not worried about the clipping more about getting energy in the afternoon as my panels are E/SE facing. I wonder if I should get a new string since it will be West facing.

Did you do it yourself or get a contractor to do it?

@nwdiver - was that an addon to a Tesla panel system with PW - the PW probably doesn't matter. I am looking to up to 4k and my existing 8.8k system on 1 string. The SE inverter is rated for 10.9k but I am not worried about the clipping more about getting energy in the afternoon as my panels are E/SE facing. I wonder if I should get a new string since it will be West facing.

Did you do it yourself or get a contractor to do it?

I am the contractor :)

With solar edge that should be super easy. Depending on the model it can accommodate up to 6kW per string and up to 155% of the inverter nameplate. No the PW shouldn't care about the DC capacity of your inverter. What size inverter do you have?

I am the contractor :)

With solar edge that should be super easy. Depending on the model it can accommodate up to 6kW per string and up to 155% of the inverter nameplate. No the PW shouldn't care about the DC capacity of your inverter. What size inverter do you have?

Ah - I was I could be my own contractor. But I am going to see if there any contractors are interested in my local area.

Here is SE model I have: SE10000H. Looks like the size is 10k watts (A/C) and 15.5 watts (D/C). I think based on this: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/def...e-phase-inverter-with-setapp-datasheet-na.pdf

It has been almost a month since I placed the order to add 4k/1PW to my 7.5k/2PW existing system. The new order still does not show in my Tesla Portal and they seem to be unable to figure this out. Been dealing with Robbie. Anyone have this type of experiencer. Told my wife she should sell all her Tesla stock as customer service has really deteriorated over the past year.

I wish that were always the case. Enphase has switched from a 4-wire cabling system to a 2-wire system, which is wholly incompatible with my 7-yr old system.. Only option is to run a completely new system, as well as buy a new monitoring gateway (which at least can monitor the older micro's if I throw away my current Enphase monitor. Sad since they were one of the key vendors who pioneered the widespread adoption of micro-inverters.

• Informative
Reactions: nwdiver
It has been almost a month since I placed the order to add 4k/1PW to my 7.5k/2PW existing system. The new order still does not show in my Tesla Portal and they seem to be unable to figure this out. Been dealing with Robbie. Anyone have this type of experiencer. Told my wife she should sell all her Tesla stock as customer service has really deteriorated over the past year.

It (customer service) hasnt changed much in the past year, or even two years. Tesla has had glitches /issues etc where if anything "out of the norm" happens they have a hard time tracking it down.

Is this person you are dealing with able to give you an order number that they can lookup and see the order in their system? if so, then whether its in your portal or not may not be that big of a deal, as long as they have an internal order number they can see on their end.

It (customer service) hasnt changed much in the past year, or even two years. Tesla has had glitches /issues etc where if anything "out of the norm" happens they have a hard time tracking it down.

Is this person you are dealing with able to give you an order number that they can lookup and see the order in their system? if so, then whether its in your portal or not may not be that big of a deal, as long as they have an internal order number they can see on their end.
I do have an order number and internal Tesla personnel have been emailing me status in response to Tesla automated email requests to provide information needed to move the project forward. I am now at the point of signing off on the contract but support says I have to complete this in my portal which they are aware I have no access to.