Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade falcon door switches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to set up an appointment to replace my 2016 buttons with the 2017 switch. Best part, the switches are only $11.00 each and they are only charging me $35.00 to replace them via mobile service.

Now hopefully everyone will now know who to open/close their doors without me having to show them or just do it myself.

I was able to set up an appointment to replace my 2016 buttons with the 2017 switch. Best part, the switches are only $11.00 each and they are only charging me $35.00 to replace them via mobile service.
Now hopefully everyone will now know who to open/close their doors without me having to show them or just do it myself.
Did you make an appointment in the app?I need to do this.

Yes. Selected "Something Else" and "Replace old rear passengers door open/close buttons with new touch buttons. Just need the parts and will swap out myself. Will pay for the switches."

They quoted me both labor and parts instead of just the parts but that is fine by me. With the MCU2 Upgrade and FSD 3.0, my used 2016 with 15,550 miles feels like a brand new on except for the range. Of course I save over $50,000 compared to a new one and this came with a 4 year/50,000 warranty when I bought in April 2020.

Yes. Selected "Something Else" and "Replace old rear passengers door open/close buttons with new touch buttons. Just need the parts and will swap out myself. Will pay for the switches."

They quoted me both labor and parts instead of just the parts but that is fine by me. With the MCU2 Upgrade and FSD 3.0, my used 2016 with 15,550 miles feels like a brand new on except for the range. Of course I save over $50,000 compared to a new one and this came with a 4 year/50,000 warranty when I bought in April 2020.
My wife has been hit twice (last time by the sharp corner of one of the doors) when a rear passenger hit the “close” button by mistake. Thanks to the resurrection of this post, I just placed a service order for new switches. Mobile service appointment on Monday. Hopefully free, but I will keep you posted.

I made my appointment yesterday,

upload_2020-10-7_14-17-4.png

So has anybody personally did it themselves?
Yes I have, when I changed every interior trim part on my X for the graphite version. You have to remove the door sill trims (both front and rear) and pull out the rubber seal to be able to pull away the B pillar trim - I didn’t remove it completely but pulled it out enough to get to the 2 torx screws holding the FWD switches in place. There is also a single locking wire connector into the bottom of the switch, but that’s easy to remove. It isn’t simple, but with a trim tool set and working carefully, most people will be able to do it.

Will see whether I can find the relevant service manual page if anybody wants it (and I’m allowed to post?).

I have the 2016 Model X and I’m interested in the FSD 3.0 upgrade you mentioned.