TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Upgrade for 90 limited "A Packs" : Official answer from Jerome Guillen, VP WWSS TM

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by joefee, Apr 1, 2014.

1. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

I've had several back and forths with Tesla re: "A Pack" Upgrades/Battery Swap. Here is the latest FYI
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Thank you for your message and your interest in upgrading your battery pack.

Please note that we remain constrained in our capacity to produce batteries. We will not be able to offer replacement packs for several months. Until then, we also need to sort out the business case.

Thank you for your understanding, your patience, and your continued support. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen VP, WW sales and service
    www.teslamotors.com"

2. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Where is the news?

3. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Sounds like an official no answer to me...

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

Well, it is somewhat news that Jerome is holding himself to "several months." This means that if we get to 2015 and there is no offer of upgrades, Tesla will be in bad faith on this point. Respectfully...

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I say don't hold your breath on this one....

6. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

the official answer is that there is no official answer
    thanks for getting this from the source

7. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

What makes you think that "several months" means fewer than, say, 60? How long have you tried to parse "Tesla time"?

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I have an A pack and I'm fine with it. Literally a few minutes more worst case, no change in time if the supercharger is busy? Not worth worrying about.

9. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Not to mention that it can be up to 15-20 minutes slower per charge and there are concerns regarding faster degradation and reliability.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

"Business case" - so this is about a paid-for update, then? Doesn't sound cheap!

11. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Concerns, but no hard data. Proof?

12. essaunders

essaunders Member

I'll bet they would tie this in with the battery swap option to keep the new battery. I believe that model was to charge for the delta value in the pack capacity (degradation). The business case is how much (if any) discount to offer "A" pack holders when they get a newer pack.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

business case could also mean: "would the cost of doing the swap be worth it if it built good will? Could we do it, and only charge labor fees?" etc.

14. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Tell me again why any A pack owner feels entitled to an upgrade? Yes, I have an A pack. No, I don't feel we're entitled to an upgrade. Tesla owes us nothing.

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Agree. If they provide the option to upgrade at a fair price and people really want to do it then that's a win/win but the A packs still work.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Let me simplify that theory for you...

This has not been the case for anything regarding Model S. I'm not clear where people see the precedent, evidence, or supporting material for such assertions these days.

- - - Updated - - -

It's been discussed many times and you can read the relevant threads as well as I have.

In short: Tesla indicated as early as 2011 (read: before anyone took delivery of Model S) that the vehicle would support 120 kW supercharging -- without any hardware changes to the vehicle. When that later proved to be incorrect, they were at best shady about not coming clean with the failure to follow-through. There were several points along this timeline that Tesla could have corrected course rather than letting owners discovered that they were sold something different than they actually got.

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Tesla also told me I could store music on the on-board hard drive. Can't do that either. How is this different?

18. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

It is not. But what does that have to do with @brianman's point?

19. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

This issue has been covered extensively here http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/24799-Older-Teslas-limited-to-90kW-Supercharging

Let's not do a rehash on this new thread. What is new: The timeline, upgrade business case in progress, and IMO the lack of mention of "Battery Swap" as a solution.

20. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

This sounds like the response I got from him when I asked him if Tesla would honor George Bs commitment to retrofit our cars with lighted vanity mirrors. His response was that 'unfortunately this is not on the current product calendar'. Has anyone seen lighted mirrors yet? I would much rather see just a yes or no to such questions.