Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from 85 to 100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when Musk was asked if existing 85 owners could upgrade to the larger pack, this was his response:

"Existing owners can also purchase the pack upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless usage is on the edge of current range. On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference."

So how much larger do the batteries have to get before we can stop waiting to upgrade our 85s to larger packs?????

Things change. They're clearly choosing not to offer it right now. I do expect that, at some point, outside vendors will offer 3rd party pack upgrades. I'm not sure how that will work with the Tesla software update process. It's going to be interesting.

So when Musk was asked if existing 85 owners could upgrade to the larger pack, this was his response:

"Existing owners can also purchase the pack upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless usage is on the edge of current range. On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference."

So how much larger do the batteries have to get before we can stop waiting to upgrade our 85s to larger packs?????

bottom line is, it WILL happen at some point.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcfinvader
It's likely physically possible, but Tesla won't be offering it any time soon - if ever. I'm in the same boat, and I've resigned myself to the reality that I'll likely need to upgrade the whole car.
If Tesla makes it for a number of years and battery tech keeps getting better I foresee many options from them for folks that want to replace a 10 year old battery with something lighter, cheaper, safer with more range. Not everyone's going to through away their Tesla after 5 years.

Today your better off hunting down a used one with the battery size you want.

After the Model S started production, Tesla briefly mentioned a "battery replacement" plan, allowing customers to pre-pay for a future battery replacement. This was quickly dropped (same was true with a "tire replacement" plan).

We're approaching 5 years on the first production, Signature, Model S cars. So far, those cars haven't seen significant battery degradation. So there hasn't yet been a need to offer a battery replacement program. Though that will likely have to change in the next few years. And when they start offering battery replacements, that will likely also include an option to upgrade to a newer/higher capacity battery.

Though, with the 8 year unlimited mile warranty on batteries, it could be another 3 or 4 years before Tesla has to address this.