Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from Model 3 - questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about trading in my 2019 Model 3 Long Range AWD with 27k for a model 3. Really want Cybertruck but don’t want to wait.

Any chance of promotions or sales toward the end of the year for Model Y?

what’s the biggest difference between the Y and 3 (other then size)?

loved my 3, just want to a bigger car.

It won't handle as well. It won't have the same performance level. Cargo area isn't much larger, but it is taller and the trunk allows for easier access.

The seats are the same, but they are raised from the floor. The interior isn't necessarily larger. For example, there is less hip room in the rear seats compared to the 3.

You'd have to break down individual metrics to see what changes.

Thanks. I appreciate your response. As far driving, pretty much the same? Or drives a little more rough?

Also, any features that Y has you wish 3 had?

The suspension on my Model 3 was quite a bit better than my Model Y. The Model Y gallups down some roads (rocks front to back over concrete joints) that my Model 3 never did. It also subtly bounces around on newly paved roads bring out ever minute imperfection. For the most part I love my Model Y, but the suspension is poorer than any other vehicle I've had, including minivans.

It won't handle as well. It won't have the same performance level. Cargo area isn't much larger, but it is taller and the trunk allows for easier access.

The seats are the same, but they are raised from the floor. The interior isn't necessarily larger. For example, there is less hip room in the rear seats compared to the 3.

You'd have to break down individual metrics to see what changes.

That hip room thing has to be incompatible spec sheets. The bench seat is the same width between the 3 and the Y, and the Y is a few inches wider overall.

Having driven cross country and back in our 3 this summer with 2 months worth of stuff for two adults and a preschooler, we made the switch because of space. We would spend a day just loading up the 3. The Y has meaningfully more cargo space in terms of usability and the 2nd row has much better leg room. The Y is an amazing vehicle, and we have the stealth which is a blast, but I do miss the 3. I enjoyed the lower seating position, the auto dimming mirrors, the multi-colored roof when it rained, the better range, and the go cart feel of the car. I had the RWD and it was the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. I still laugh thinking about how fun it was.
But fun didn’t equal practical for our family. If it wasn’t for COVID, probably would not have made the switch to the Y, but that isn’t the world we live in. The reality is we are driving places we were flying.
All that said, I am happy with the Y. As much as I loved the 3, moving to the Y was the right call. Look at your needs and see if it is a fit. If you don’t have any specific needs, stay with the 3.
To answer your question about ride, we have the 19” wheels. The ride is a bit rougher than the 3, but most of that seems to be because of the ride height. I find the ride less jarring but it has a more sway when you hit bumps.

Reactions: WattsHappening
anyone go from a PUP model 3 to a model y with the base 19s? Considering picking up a more bare bones Y as our secondary/road trip car and keeping the perormance PUP model 3 for my enjoyment. (wifes car is failing and needs to be replaced, and Tesla seems to be the only common sense choice)

Currently debating between a standard range+ 3 and a LR MY. I realize there's a substantial price difference, but that's not currently one of my deciding factors.

We sold our 2018 LRAWD Model 3 after two great years and upgraded to Model Y Non-P.

Overall, this vehicle fits our needs way better as we are a family of three, the ride is noticeably more comfortable and feels more capable on more challenging terrains. The space, cargo and legroom is a great plus compared to our 3.

The only thing you will miss about the 3 is how sportier it is, just because of it's size and lower position to the ground.

Reactions: Picasso
anyone go from a PUP model 3 to a model y with the base 19s? Considering picking up a more bare bones Y as our secondary/road trip car and keeping the perormance PUP model 3 for my enjoyment. (wifes car is failing and needs to be replaced, and Tesla seems to be the only common sense choice)

Currently debating between a standard range+ 3 and a LR MY. I realize there's a substantial price difference, but that's not currently one of my deciding factors.

As a SR+ owner I suggest the Y if $ is not the deciding factor. 1. Space, 2. Range, 3. Space

Reactions: Ol'Blue
My exact reasons for considering upgrading. How much did it cost you to make the change?

I was lucky enough to be able to sell my SR+ for over $2K more than I bought it for on Carvana, after having it for 15 months. Since I didn't have to take a financial hit, and I also wanted AWD for Winter with the longer range, I took the plunge for the AWD Model Y and couldn't be happier (except for the unusually bouncy suspension, which can probably be fixed with better tires than the Gemini/Continental's).

Reactions: USCCowboys
For what its worth, I'll add my thoughts as someone who owned LR RWD 3, LR AWD 3, and then debated getting another tesla as well as performance 3 vs non performance Y. Initial thing was that getting ANOTHER model 3 seemed like it'd just be another car and wouldn't feel different. I also have another ICE suv and realized I really like sitting up a bit higher, having space, etc. Now all that said, I don't NEED the space - don't have kids dont haul things often and the 3 always had good space for me.

Now that I"ve had my Y, man I don't know. The Y is everything I thought it would be, but it simply will never "feel" like the sporty nature of the 3. This could be a serious case of always thinking the grass is greener, but if you ask me - my inner car guy longs for that sporty, almost tossable feel of the 3. If you want the more versatile vehicle, get the Y. If you really ENJOY a sporty driving car, IMO you need to get the 3. Not that the Y drives poor, it just isn't low slung feeling like the 3.

I honestly don't regret my decision to get the Y. It was the right choice with all factors considered and I trusted my gut. That said, theres a decent chance I trade my Y for a performance 3... For the vast majority of people, Y is the answer. I'm weird though.

For what its worth, I'll add my thoughts as someone who owned LR RWD 3, LR AWD 3, and then debated getting another tesla as well as performance 3 vs non performance Y. Initial thing was that getting ANOTHER model 3 seemed like it'd just be another car and wouldn't feel different. I also have another ICE suv and realized I really like sitting up a bit higher, having space, etc. Now all that said, I don't NEED the space - don't have kids dont haul things often and the 3 always had good space for me.

Now that I"ve had my Y, man I don't know. The Y is everything I thought it would be, but it simply will never "feel" like the sporty nature of the 3. This could be a serious case of always thinking the grass is greener, but if you ask me - my inner car guy longs for that sporty, almost tossable feel of the 3. If you want the more versatile vehicle, get the Y. If you really ENJOY a sporty driving car, IMO you need to get the 3. Not that the Y drives poor, it just isn't low slung feeling like the 3.

I honestly don't regret my decision to get the Y. It was the right choice with all factors considered and I trusted my gut. That said, theres a decent chance I trade my Y for a performance 3... For the vast majority of people, Y is the answer. I'm weird though.
This was my concern which is why I had ordered a MP3 after driving both that and the MY LR. Weeks later though I drove the MYP and switched to that. Such a difference coming from a BMW M-Sport between performance and LR.

Reactions: LionelHutz
An update from my recent experiences

I have a 18 performance 3 and think it’s a great car. My experiences have been mostly positive. My wife and I were debating a Standard range + to go with it. I didn’t really like the idea of having 2 of the “same” car, but thinking with sense, it would have been a good option.

Before pulling the trigger on one, we decided to do our due diligence and drive the long range Y with the 19” rims.

What a great car! (Or SUV). It rides better then our PUP M3, it’s quieter, it’s strangely easier to park even though it’s larger. It’s easier to see out the rear window, lots of space in the back seat (my tall wife sat in the back with the drivers seat all the way back with room to spare)

I had pre heated my car/batteries before departing for the drive to Tesla. The model Y had cold batteries for our test drive. The Y was still more efficient and with the heat set higher. And of course because of the cold batteries, almost no regen to help (Maybe the winter tires had a bit to do with my cars range to, but the difference was noticeable)
the end result of our test drive is we ordered a grey long range model Y

We now have a long range model Y on order to park along side out performance 3.

TL;DR people
We were going to grab a second model 3 and ended up getting a Y because we were so impressed. A lot has improved in 2 years of updates between our 18 and the current cars.

Comparing a 2021Y vs a 2018 3 sort of isn’t fair. Should compare 2012 Y vs 2021 3 and see what fits your needs best

What isn’t fair about comparing the same drivetrain and it’s modernized efficiencies?

If we didn’t compare things to history, we would never move forward!

I might have agreed with you if you had argued “why are comparing a 3 to a Y?” As they are apples and oranges.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla