Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from Model Y to Model S Worth IT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May be a solution to the lack of stalks from the threads I've been following. Originally RHuber was working on it but someone else is now. The makers of the S3XY buttons seem to be as well.

FYI- it looks likely that the new 3 (aka Highland) will be without stalks which means the new Y will follow too.

This is the Tesla hubris that's annoying. I love a clean minimalist design as much as the next guy, but 2 stalks never got in the way and do the job better than a touch screen. And dollar savings are peanuts.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Fairly easy to get used to the no stalks. I now prefer the steering wheel turn signals over a stalk. Drive/Reverse/Park is easier with a stalk, but for me, not a big deal using the screen, especially as it auto-selects. Still auto-select is wrong about 5% of the time when I think it should know what to do, but I expect it will get better. It may be harder for those to deal with no stalks when switching to cars that have stalks.

Reactions: Yelobird
Fairly easy to get used to the no stalks. I now prefer the steering wheel turn signals over a stalk. Drive/Reverse/Park is easier with a stalk, but for me, not a big deal using the screen, especially as it auto-selects. Still auto-select is wrong about 5% of the time when I think it should know what to do, but I expect it will get better. It may be harder for those to deal with no stalks when switching to cars that have stalks.
I am sure I would get used to it. Still think it's a solution in search of a problem

As others pointed out, on the 2023 S you can now select the old-style round steering wheel that some prefer or the safer yoke-style steering wheel. I prefer the yoke as it's easier to grip IMHO, but it's not a huge thing. Round is ok too.

Great thread. Thanks all.

Just curious, why this person says yoke is "safer"? Not sure if vcor is around, but if anyone has insight into what aspect of the yoke would make it safer than round, I'm curious to hear.

I'm comparing used refresh S to new MYP and honestly one of the turn offs for me is the yoke steering wheel and lack of stalks, which to me seems less safe. And yes, I have driven a Model S with yoke, although just for a few hours. Genuinely interested in trying to understand.

Last edited:
Great thread. Thanks all.

Just curious, why this person says yoke is "safer"? Not sure if vcor is around, but if anyone has insight into what aspect of the yoke would make it safer than round, I'm curious to hear.

I'm comparing used refresh S to new MYP and honestly one of the turn offs for me is the yoke steering wheel and lack of stalks, which to me seems less safe. And yes, I have driven a Model S with yoke, although just for a few hours. Genuinely interested in trying to understand.
The yoke isn’t safer. It’s demonstrably less safe.

There's pretty much no way the above is true on modern cars, surely? That's why airbags are there to prevent this from happening!
The article is from Dec 2022 so I guess it can still happen with modern cars. I doubt they are just referring to cars prior to airbags.. Seating position looks to play a role too.

You’ll find several sites if you google “steering wheel injuries”. Mostly lawyer sites and a few others. I’m sure it’s rare but it appears that it “can” happen.
Absolutely. Perhaps older cars with no airbags. I feel like this is highly unlikely on any modern car. As a yoke owner, it's obviously nowhere near as safe to use as a steering wheel. Unfortunately, being rather tall, a steering wheel replacement will block much of my driver's display area, so it's not practical for me to switch. There's little doubt this will be my last car with a yoke (without variable steering ratios, at least). It's just silly.

Reactions: jhumbo
Thanks all! Sorry that I ended up turning this thread into a yoke thread.

Absolutely. Perhaps older cars with no airbags. I feel like this is highly unlikely on any modern car. As a yoke owner, it's obviously nowhere near as safe to use as a steering wheel. Unfortunately, being rather tall, a steering wheel replacement will block much of my driver's display area, so it's not practical for me to switch. There's little doubt this will be my last car with a yoke (without variable steering ratios, at least). It's just silly.
William, I was considering swapping yoke for round wheel (Tesla Service can do this). If I did this, wouldn't the round wheel be adjustable up and down like in other Model S? If so, wouldn't an adjustable round wheel allow you to adjust it so that you can get a view of the display? Not sure if you explored this.

William, I was considering swapping yoke for round wheel (Tesla Service can do this). If I did this, wouldn't the round wheel be adjustable up and down like in other Model S? If so, wouldn't an adjustable round wheel allow you to adjust it so that you can get a view of the display? Not sure if you explored this.
the steering wheel will not have any effect on steering column adjustments.

I've sat in a Model S with the OEM steering wheel. It does not afford me a view of the top, including top left and right - of the driver's display. Your mileage may of course vary, but this is the first car I've ever driven where this has been an issue, and it's obvious it's because the car was designed around a yoke, so it's not quite right with a steering wheel that curves in at the top, where normally this would be open.

Reactions: jhumbo