Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from Model Y to Model S Worth IT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also thinking of switching from a Y to an S. I drive around 25-30,000miles a year and replace cars around 50-60,000miles (or two years, whatever comes first), so I spend a lot of time in the car.

While the Y is fine (I’m on my second Y) I came from Volvos SUV’s that had air suspension (XC90 & XC60), and they did ride way better than the Y. That’s what’s got me thinking about an S. That, and the range, and they’re just nicer vehicles.

I do haul stuff around for work from time to time, not like refrigerators or anything, so the convenience of the flat loading cargo area in the Y is nice. I also have an 80lb chocolate lab that we haul around every now and again. Also MTB bikes. I have a Thule upright hitch mount bike rack that I love, very convenient. The S doesn’t have a receiver/hitch, and I’m not putting an aftermarket one on. So, what’s the options for bike racks? I’m ok with a roof rack.

I’ve had a few S’s as loaners, and thought the space was adequate, and you can fit a 29” bike in the trunk with the wheel off, but it’s not something I want to do every other day when I ride, plus won’t work if your taking two bike with you.

In addition, I hear the S/X eat up rear tires at an alarming rate. I see there are some fixes for this, but nothing like spending 90-100,000k on a car, only to have a “fix” installed so I’m not replacing rear tires every 10,000miles. Is this only limited to the Plaids, or do the LR’s have the same issue?

I simply don’t have time to be replacing tires every 10,000miles. That’s like an oil change interval on a gasser/diesel vehicle, and I don’t miss having to do that. The fact the S/X have staggered wheels sucks too, so much for rotating tires.

So, what’s the solve? Maybe buy another square set of wheels for winter and run the factory 19’s in summer, and install a camber kit?

Thoughts? Honestly, if the Y had air suspension and ventilated seats, I’d buy probably just another one.

Reactions: CDrury and GSP
There is a whole thread on adding factory hitch to Model S refresh. It’s the same hitch as on X and even has Model S ratings on the hitch. Wiring is an issue though. Rated 3500 lbs.

Rear tires are a problem with the 22” or is it 21”. I think 19” are fine. Especially if you want range.

I went from Jeep GC (many) to 3 to X to S.

I load and tow with S all the time. Has floor space of the X.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
On brakes, Tesla has changed the design this month with what they call "Higher Thermal Brake Calipers" for the LR and Plaid. Not sure if it offers better braking or not, but something to check out. I've been satisfied with the existing brakes, but I don't go to the track with my car and often use one-pedal driving which uses regen instead of brakes to slow.

On tires, a lot depends on how you drive. There is so much power, it's fun to jet off the line every time you drive. Of course, you pay for that with shorter tire life. If you drive like you are in a pathetic ICE car, you'll likely get similar tire life as that ICE car. You can also activate Chill mode to reduce fun and tire wear.

Low-profile tires do tend to wear quickly in any car. I got about 8K miles on each set of tires on my NSX, and that's without any track driving or spinouts. High-end sports cars will take their toll on tires, especially tires with soft rubber for the best handling. On some cars, you can get rock-hard normal profile tires that last far longer but are not much fun or comfortable. The 19" Tires on the Tesla are a good compromise between handling, comfort, and tire life, but you'll get many different answers as to what others value in their tires!

On the way back to the Central Valley after I picked up my Lucid from Orange County, CA we encountered very thick fog on the way down from the mountain at the Tejon Pass at around 6:30 PM 12/17/2022, the Lucid Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keeping function continued to work flawlessly while my relative in the 2017 FSD Model X had to drive manually because the system complained poor visibility and quit working suddenly.

It's true that Lucid doesn't have many features just yet (no auto lane change, no Autosteer in city streets...) but it’s safer in the fog.
I'm surprised that this actually worked for you. I test-drove the Lucid and the lane-keeping functionality barely worked in clear daylight. Even the sales rep that was in the car with me told me not to rely on it and that while it would provide some assistance, it wouldn't fully keep the car in its lane on its own yet, although it is planned in the future.

I understand the the $hit and get performance of Tesla and could care less. It’s nice to flex every now and again, but at the end of the day, this vehicle is a tool for work. So, reliability and not waiting for tires to be installed every 8-10,000miles is important. So far, my last two Y’s have been essentially maintenance free for the extent of ownership. Couple sets of tires, that’s about it. I can live with that. I’m looking for same out of an S, if that’s not the case, I’ll get another Y when the time comes.

I understand the the $hit and get performance of Tesla and could care less. It’s nice to flex every now and again, but at the end of the day, this vehicle is a tool for work. So, reliability and not waiting for tires to be installed every 8-10,000miles is important. So far, my last two Y’s have been essentially maintenance free for the extent of ownership. Couple sets of tires, that’s about it. I can live with that. I’m looking for same out of an S, if that’s not the case, I’ll get another Y when the time comes.

Get another Y.

The S is absolutely more luxury. But look around this S forum. The S is equivalent of a temperamental supercar in terms of reliability compared to the Y. And that means you'll need the SC a lot more, but they will still treat you like garbage.

Plus, you'll be in a whole other league of depreciation with the S compared to the Y. My god these cars depreciate as fast as they go 0-60!

Plus if you need the back seat, the S backseat is not any better than the Model 3 back seat, and nothing like as usable as the Y's back seat.

Get another Y.

The S is absolutely more luxury. But look around this S forum. The S is equivalent of a temperamental supercar in terms of reliability compared to the Y. And that means you'll need the SC a lot more, but they will still treat you like garbage.

Plus, you'll be in a whole other league of depreciation with the S compared to the Y. My god these cars depreciate as fast as they go 0-60!

Plus if you need the back seat, the S backseat is not any better than the Model 3 back seat, and nothing like as usable as the Y's back seat.
It’s tough. Having had two SPA Volvo’s with nappa leather and Bowers & Wilkins sound systems, I miss the luxury of those days switching to Tesla with the past two Y’s. They are fine, but just not as cushy. Hence the reason I’m looking at an S. I understand the depreciation, the Volvos dropped in value like a lead sinker, but, they are Volvo’s, which are nothing to write home about from jump street. Do the S/X drop as bad as say, a BMW 7 series or S-class? All luxo cars tend to be plagued with heavy depreciation, but Teslas used S’s on their site don’t seem to be that depreciated?

The reliability issues you mention concerns me. The S has been around since, what, 2012? They haven’t figured it out by now? Really? It’s that bad? Examples? I’d be buying new as I always do, and hanging onto a car for 50-60,000miles puts most of the issues under warranty I’d assume.

I do appreciate the feedback!

We're ready to add another Tesla and had the opportunity to put a good amount of miles driving both the 3 and the Y (hundreds). So we ask ourselves.. The Y is a nice car but why does our Model S with 200,000 miles ride so much better and is still so much quieter than that brand new Y??? I will argue that yes Tesla certainly does know how to build the S. And no we do not need tires every 10,000 miles. In fact they've easily been driven right through Michlien's 45,000 mile warranty with tread to spare.

Now we've also had the good fortune to spend as much time as we wanted with the current refresh Model S. That car takes all the attributes of our current S to another level. There will two Model S in our garage by the end of summer. Yes we are keeping the original, why wouldn't we??

If you want a comfortable, solid mile eating mountain melting machine buy the Model S.

I have 95k miles on my 2017 S. Been quite good so far. Even driven in winters.

Can almost get rated range out of tires. Got 44k miles from my previous tires. Cross climate 2 tires are on now. 19”.

...The reliability issues you mention concerns me. The S has been around since, what, 2012? They haven’t figured it out by now? Really? It’s that bad? Examples? I’d be buying new as I always do, and hanging onto a car for 50-60,000miles puts most of the issues under warranty I’d assume.
While a few people have problems with any brand of car, I don't think Tesla is different than other brands. Since Tesla always comes out on top of satisfaction surveys, they may be better than others. You hear more from complainers as they tend to vent more. If you visit any non-company-owned forums, you'll see what seems to be a high percentage of complainers. Owners that are happy with their car and service rarely visit forums.

I'm on my third Model S and have been exceptionally happy with each one. I keep trading up to get the latest features and more range, not because of any fault of the vehicle. Service has always been great for me. That doesn't mean those that complain are wrong for their specific case, but I wouldn't read that as true for a significant percentage of owners.

Reactions: Yelobird and Nickos
My 2020 MYP was totaled a couple weeks ago and I just picked up a 2022 MS LR this weekend. Initial impressions:
  • Holy hell the MS suspension is smooth. One of my biggest complaints in the MYP was ride quality (even after switching to 19” wheels in the MYP with lots of extra, non-stretched tire sidewall) and the MS LR rides like a dream - but can tighten up in seconds if you are in the mood. I simply cannot get over how composed and well damped the ride is.
  • The MS LR is astoundingly quiet. I just spent 12 hours driving from AZ to CA and the lack of wind noise & tire noise VS the MYP is incredible. Bonus points for zero rattles and zero squeaks in the MS, despite the car having 10k on it.
  • Jury is still out on the yoke but I do think it has better ergonomics for lengthy highway cruising. Also, logged nearly 11 solid hours of autopilot and didn’t experience a single instance of phantom braking
  • I like the storage console arrangement in the MS LR better than the Y
  • All the little “premium” details in the MS LR cabin really do add up, it just feels more solid and luxury-ish
  • The extra ~100 miles of range have destroyed the last shreds of any range anxiety i may have had with the MYP

Last edited:
My 2020 MYP was totaled a couple weeks ago and I just picked up a 2022 MS LR this weekend. Initial impressions:
  • Holy hell the MS suspension is smooth. One of my biggest complaints in the MYP was ride quality (even after switching to 19” wheels in the MYP with lots of extra, non-stretched tire sidewall) and the MS LR rides like a dream - but can tighten up in seconds if you are in the mood. I simply cannot get over how composed and well damped the ride is.
  • The MS LR is astoundingly quiet. I just spent 12 hours driving from AZ to CA and the lack of wind noise & tire noise VS the MYP is incredible. Bonus points for zero rattles and zero squeaks in the MS, despite the car having 10k on it.
  • Jury is still out on the yoke but I do think it has better ergonomics for lengthy highway cruising. Also, logged nearly 11 solid hours of autopilot and didn’t experience a single instance of phantom braking
  • All the little “premium” details in the MS LR cabin really do add up, it just feels more solid and luxury-ish
  • The extra ~100 miles of range have destroyed the last shreds of any range anxiety i may have had with the MYP
Moving from 2020 MYP to 2023 MSP this week so I'll have more to add later, but your bullet points are some of the reasons we're making the switch. You pay for it, but it's a big difference between the two vehicles.

The improved ride quality is music to my eyes. Can't wait to pick up the Plaid this week

I'd get the S over the Y. I have and S and 3. I sold my Y. I never miss it at all. The S can carry a lot of stuff with the back seat down. The lack of ventilated and cooled seats on the 3/Y is idiotic. My S is about 10-15% more efficient than my Y ever was. My S is a lot more quiet on most road surfaces than my Y was.

RIde comfort is no contest with the S a clear winner and with adjustable suspension and ride height. I have more legroom in my 3 and S than the Y. The seats are comfier to me in the S than the 3/Y and again cooled and ventilated is a big plus in a hot climate. The S feels a lot more upscale compared to the cheap feeling 3/Y. The acceleration is in a different galaxy even with just the LR. My range advantage was much greater with the S than what you would expect comparing them with the EPA ratings and both were on 19's.

I do hate the yoke but now there is an option for that on the S. The gearshift controller is one of the stupidest designs in my lifetime and is far worse than the 3/Y or most any car I've driven recently. I can't think of any recently that are worse and I typically drive about 50 different rental cars a year for work.

Depreciation is a consideration so pick up a used S with low miles and make sure it has 19's. Fortunately, I sold my Y at peak oil so to speak or I would have taken a big bath on it at current pricing. TBH I am happier with my 3 than I ever was with my Y.

Lastly, S's are not like @$$holes where everyone seems to have one. IF that matters to you, doesn't to me, but my kids keep pointing them out everywhere, the S will feel a bit more exclusive. At the end of the day your $$$ and your choice. When I drive the 3, it never feels like a special car to me. The S to me at least has a bit more mystery and will always be the OG of taking electric cars more mainstream.

20+ Reasons why I love my 2023 Model S LR more than my 2022 Model Y Performance

1 - Ride Quality - I came from a 22 Model Y Performance into a 2023 Model S. The main reason for the switch was the ride quality. Love the MYP but it rode like a donkey cart. The ride in the S is way better. Smoother and more comfortable and the air suspension is adjustable.

2 - Quieter - The S is also quieter using double pane glass in front and back.

3 - Steering Wheel - The yoke was too fat and clunky. Got a regular wheel. Got used to no stalks in one drive though hate that there is no center horn.

4, 5, 6 - Screens - The 17" Screen is amazing especially all the gesture control but more importantly the center Dashboard screen is perfect. I didn't realize how much missed one til I had it back. It has everything I need in one beautiful place. Rear Screen - May not use it much but nice to know its there but provide entertainment to rear passengers

7 - Room - The Y has more room and was worried about the room in S but because it is a hatchback it has a huge amount of space with the rear seats down and you even get room behind the front seats when they are down which is fantastic for quick grab supplies while driving

8 - Sirius - I love Sirius and the S has it and the Y does not.

9 - Luxury - It is more luxurious on the inside and the center console layout is great. Loved the rear seat console with phone chargers built in

10 - Ventilated cool seats. Yes they work great

11 - Range - Best feature? The range. I just drove from Vermont to NYC today with no stops and still had 30 per cent when I got here. And the computer range estimating seems more accurate than in my Y. I left showing 30 per cent when I arrived and it was right on. Never got that on the Y. Always predicted short

12 - Tilted screen - It just makes sense

13 - Homelink is built in and not an option

14 - a Clearer glass roof

15 - 22 speaker premium sound system

16 - swipe to drive is fun

1. Larger rear screen display
  2. GEO location for suspension remembers to raise and lower suspension at specific locations
  3. Ambient Lighting
  4. Active Noise cancellation - meh
  5. Lumbar support on driver AND passenger seat
Good luck

• Informative
Reactions: Yelobird and SO16
May be a solution to the lack of stalks from the threads I've been following. Originally RHuber was working on it but someone else is now. The makers of the S3XY buttons seem to be as well.

FYI- it looks likely that the new 3 (aka Highland) will be without stalks which means the new Y will follow too.