Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from SR to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone upgraded from SR to SR+?
What was the process?
How much did it cost?

I am tempted to get AP now that it is discounted to $2k, but thinking of just upgrading it to an SR+.
At the time I bought my SR at the end of 2019, I believe the upgrade cost ~$5k.
But now with the $1k discount on AP and the recent $2k price drop on SR+ (and other Model 3s), it seems like the upgrade from SR to SR+ should be less.

Last edited:
Reactions: SlimJim
According to what I read on this forum, the AP sale will end tomorrow.
It will go back to $3000 on 7/1.

Yes, I am aware that it is just a temporary discount on AP. That is why I am trying to figure out how to upgrade to an SR+ before the AP cost goes up.
Upgrading to an SR+ would give me AP, a bit more range and acceleration, and enable 2 more speakers.

I contacted my sales and service department last week and did an online chat with Tesla today, but no one seems to know how or how much it will cost to upgrade to an SR+.

Yes, I am aware that it is just a temporary discount on AP. That is why I am trying to figure out how to upgrade to an SR+ before the AP cost goes up.
Upgrading to an SR+ would give me AP, a bit more range and acceleration, and enable 2 more speakers.

I contacted my sales and service department last week and did an online chat with Tesla today, but no one seems to know how or how much it will cost to upgrade to an SR+.
The price gap between SR and SR+ are different for different people depending on when they bought their car.
Tesla cannot make everyone happy.
Figuring out the most fair price or way for all SR -> SR+ upgraders before July 1st must not be a high priority task for Tesla.
But increasing revenue from selling AP for $2000 is the primary goal.
If you buy AP for $2000 now then I would think you can negotiate the full upgrade in the future.
That's what I would do.

The price gap between SR and SR+ are different for different people depending on when they bought their car.
Tesla cannot make everyone happy.
Figuring out the most fair price or way for all SR -> SR+ upgraders before July 1st must not be a high priority task for Tesla.
But increasing revenue from selling AP for $2000 is the primary goal.
If you buy AP for $2000 now then I would think you can negotiate the full upgrade in the future.
That's what I would do.

Understood. Good suggestion.
My only concern is that I read that one guy add AP (for $3k at the time), then wanted to upgrade to the SR+ and they still wanted to charge him the full upgrade cost.

Understood. Good suggestion.
My only concern is that I read that one guy add AP (for $3k at the time), then wanted to upgrade to the SR+ and they still wanted to charge him the full upgrade cost.

If you want AP, $2000 is a good deal. If acceleration is what you are after, SR vs SR+ is no big difference. 200 mile range is what you had planned to live with. Unless your commute got farther you don't really need extra 20 mile range.

If you want AP, $2000 is a good deal. If acceleration is what you are after, SR vs SR+ is no big difference. 200 mile range is what you had planned to live with. Unless your commute got farther you don't really need extra 20 mile range.

good points...
Do you know the zero-60 for the SR vs SR+? It probably isn't much.
I came from a 2015 BMW i3 and understand that real world range is much lower than advertised range, but I am a bit disappointed at what I am getting in my SR ... so I wouldn't mind any extra that I can get. I know that I would only ever charge to 100% for a trip when leaving my house and after that I will only charge to 80-90%, but there are many local trips that are just barely doable with my real world SR range. An extra 20 miles would be much more comfortable.
The stereo is also a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong ... I absolutely love my SR. But the stereo and the range fell a little short of what I was hoping for / expecting.

Between the $1k discount on AP and the recent $2k price drop on an SR+, I am hoping that the SR -> SR+ upgrade dropped to ~$3,500. If it did, I might just upgrade to an SR+ instead of just adding AP. But if the SR+ upgrade is still near $5k, then clearly the $2k AP is the way to go.

good points...
Do you know the zero-60 for the SR vs SR+? It probably isn't much.
I came from a 2015 BMW i3 and understand that real world range is much lower than advertised range, but I am a bit disappointed at what I am getting in my SR ... so I wouldn't mind any extra that I can get. I know that I would only ever charge to 100% for a trip when leaving my house and after that I will only charge to 80-90%, but there are many local trips that are just barely doable with my real world SR range. An extra 20 miles would be much more comfortable.
The stereo is also a little disappointing. Don't get me wrong ... I absolutely love my SR. But the stereo and the range fell a little short of what I was hoping for / expecting.

Between the $1k discount on AP and the recent $2k price drop on an SR+, I am hoping that the SR -> SR+ upgrade dropped to ~$3,500. If it did, I might just upgrade to an SR+ instead of just adding AP. But if the SR+ upgrade is still near $5k, then clearly the $2k AP is the way to go.

0-60 for SR vs SR+ is 5.6 vs 5.3 seconds officially, so it's not a whole lot.

Basic AP for $2000 is definitely a good value, you will be glad you will be much less stressful during highway drives, especially if there's traffic. But if you can get the SR+ upgrade for a little bit more, I would definitely go with that too.

Tesla has never had consistent pricing for the SR to SR+ upgrade. They have quoted prices ranging from around $4,000 to $5,000 but there is no rhyme or reason to the number they quote. I doubt anything has changed here. The opportunity to get AP for $2K is a great deal. Don’t waste your time trying to upgrade to an SR+. Tesla is not going to give you any great price break on it. Even if it were $3,000 it makes no sense to spend an extra $1,000 to get 20 more miles and “immersive sound”. Just take the AP upgrade for $2K before it goes away.

0-60 for SR vs SR+ is 5.6 vs 5.3 seconds officially, so it's not a whole lot.

Basic AP for $2000 is definitely a good value, you will be glad you will be much less stressful during highway drives, especially if there's traffic. But if you can get the SR+ upgrade for a little bit more, I would definitely go with that too.

Keep in mind SR+ has had 2 acceleration boosts since it's release so the 0-60 is probably more like 5 seconds flat now. Tesla never changed it on the website. Haven't done an official test but SR+ is a bit quicker now than it was when I first got it so at least .3 seconds quicker I'd say

This thing is capable of much more power too

Edit:

This guy got 4.98 and flat 5's

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: badiban
Keep in mind SR+ has had 2 acceleration boosts since it's release so the 0-60 is probably more like 5.1 now. Tesla never changed it on the website. Haven't done an official test but SR+ is a bit quicker now than it was when I first got it so at least .3 seconds quicker I'd say

Might even be able to do 4.9. This thing is capable of much more power too

That's true. I think I have seen reports that the SR+ can do a flat 5 second 0-60 now. But I am not sure if the regular SR gets the power boost as well, that's something that haven't got confirmed yet.

That's true. I think I have seen reports that the SR+ can do a flat 5 second 0-60 now. But I am not sure if the regular SR gets the power boost as well, that's something that haven't got confirmed yet.

I just say 4.8 when non Tesla owners ask me lol I barely weigh anything so I'm sure my car is like .1 quicker if it can do 4.9's

But ya not sure if SR got the speed boosts.

Immersive sound, I can hear the slight difference when switching back and forth and it does sound slightly clearer, but I wouldn't say it's worth it. If it was turned off without me knowing I probably wouldn't notice any difference. I'd rather just have more active speakers.

Autopilot is definitely worth it for $2k. Really good deal

And my SR+ gets SR range normally so if you have the SR I would just get Autopilot only honestly. You aren't missing much. Unless the upgrade to SR+ now costs less, but that I don't know

Thanks for all the comments!! Very helpful.

I was just talking to 1 service manager .. he said the price in the system is set to $5k currently. But he was saying that since the base price of the SR is still $35k and the base price of the SR+ is now $37,990 ... the upgrade should be $2,990 and he gave me contact info for the sales manager insinuating that the sales manager may be able to off the upgrade at the discounted rate.

I hear you that the 20 miles, 0.3sec 0-60, and immersive sound isn't worth the extra $1k.

But I have a few places that I frequently travel to that are really tight on SR real world range. I know 20 miles isn't much, but it would make those trips much easier. Also lots of people spend all sorts of money to shave a little time off their 0-60.

And then I wouldn't have an elusive SR unicorn ... not that I mind having a unicorn, but it is also nice to know that you are getting all the latest updates like the 0-60 times mentioned earlier.

I guess I'll go down the Sales Manager rabbit hole until the last moment and then buy the $2k AP and at least try it out for 48 hours.

I was just talking to 1 service manager .. he said the price in the system is set to $5k currently. But he was saying that since the base price of the SR is still $35k and the base price of the SR+ is now $37,990 ... the upgrade should be $2,990 and he gave me contact info for the sales manager insinuating that the sales manager may be able to off the upgrade at the discounted rate.

I hear you that the 20 miles, 0.3sec 0-60, and immersive sound isn't worth the extra $1k.

But I have a few places that I frequently travel to that are really tight on SR real world range. I know 20 miles isn't much, but it would make those trips much easier. Also lots of people spend all sorts of money to shave a little time off their 0-60.

And then I wouldn't have an elusive SR unicorn ... not that I mind having a unicorn, but it is also nice to know that you are getting all the latest updates like the 0-60 times mentioned earlier.

I guess I'll go down the Sales Manager rabbit hole until the last moment and then buy the $2k AP and at least try it out for 48 hours.

If you can get it for $2,990, that makes it $1,000 from SR to SR+ without Autopilot, I would definitely get it. If not, just get AP. Keep us updated OP.

If it's $2,990 for the upgrade, might as well. Only $990 for all SR+ features.

Multiple service managers recognize that the $5k SR+ upgrade pricing doesn't make sense and suggested talking to sales.
I talked to my sales person and they said all post sale upgrades are handled by service or the app.
Seems like the only option left is to tweet Elon asking for a $3k SR+ upgrade price following the current base pricing of each of those models, but I will obviously miss the $2k AP boat. I'll probably just jump on the $2k, but not until it gets down to the wire.

Thanks again everyone.

Multiple service managers recognize that the $5k SR+ upgrade pricing doesn't make sense and suggested talking to sales.
I talked to my sales person and they said all post sale upgrades are handled by service or the app.
Seems like the only option left is to tweet Elon asking for a $3k SR+ upgrade price following the current base pricing of each of those models, but I will obviously miss the $2k AP boat. I'll probably just jump on the $2k, but not until it gets down to the wire.

Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, if they can't get it fixed by tomorrow, might as well get the $2k AP upgrade, then deal with the SR > SR+ upgrade later if you want to.

Reactions: peakshaving