Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from SR to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought an SR and took delivery on April 14 - long before the price shift. I would have gone the SR+ route had that price been there. At the time I want to say it was like $5k more and decided I did not want it at that price. When the $2k price came just for AP, I bought it. And that where the funny part of the story is. Given I am 10 week old Tesla owner, I had the idea that all changes like this would be a software download. So after buying it, I check my phone every couple hours expecting to see some update coming through. no go. day 3 I chat with tesla support online and she tells me 3 to 5 business days (!) Really, I think? I should just search the forums. eventually someone points out to check your software installed and of course... there it is! probably showed up minutes after I bought it. Rushed out on to the freeways and started trying to get used to it.

One week later ands the verdict is in - its pretty cool and its combat tested. Ecnountered a driver who suddenly decided to hard break to 30 on the freeway even though we were not close to an exit ramp. AP beeps early and I feel I can deal with it if it does not - Tesla slows to a near stop and the driver then gets over to the far right lane. Tesla immediately see her gone and the car runs back up to the correct speed. Nice. And yeah a few miles later she then passes me at 80 miles an hour so she can beat other cars onto the exit ramp. :)

Reactions: fritzner
Note to the OP, not all speakers are wired, the speakers might be there but no wires to them.

I got my SR+ March 2019 and did not get Auto Pilot, it was an option before April 2019. As soon as AP dropped in price, I snatched it up.. probably within the 1st hour.

Just drove to Las Vegas and back to San Diego and 90% was driven on Auto Pilot. Saves you lots of wear and tear on your legs and body in stop and go traffic or just driving it in general.

Fred

Reactions: Mr X
Service said that it is $5k to upgrade.
But that was based on the base price of the SR being $35k and the base price of the SR+ being $39,990.
The service guy said that now that the SR is still $35k but the SR+ has dropped to $37,990 he thinks that the upgrade should be $3k.
That hasn't happened yet, but might be worth tweeting Elon for.

I added AP for $2k yesterday and if would be worth twice that if I still live in Los Angeles with a 1 hour each way bumper to bumper commute. But now I have a 15 min commute with minimal traffic and don't do many roadtrips in it.

I have an alarm set for tomorrow morning before the 48 refund window expires ... I'm still on the fence.

Its super cool, but just not sure I need it / want to spend even $2k on it.

Reactions: peakshaving
Service said that it is $5k to upgrade.
But that was based on the base price of the SR being $35k and the base price of the SR+ being $39,990.
The service guy said that now that the SR is still $35k but the SR+ has dropped to $37,990 he thinks that the upgrade should be $3k.
That hasn't happened yet, but might be worth tweeting Elon for.

I added AP for $2k yesterday and if would be worth twice that if I still live in Los Angeles with a 1 hour each way bumper to bumper commute. But now I have a 15 min commute with minimal traffic and don't do many roadtrips in it.

I have an alarm set for tomorrow morning before the 48 refund window expires ... I'm still on the fence.

Its super cool, but just not sure I need it / want to spend even $2k on it.
I'm on the same boat as you but I think I'm keeping mine for the boring drive on the 5 up and down CA. I think it'll help my sanity driving 380 miles of mostly straight lanes.

My other rationale is that when I'm reselling the car- having autopilot is probably something the next owner would expect. If Elon is to be believed the price of autopilot's going up so getting it now is a better value.

Keep the updates coming though! happy to pay $990 for the remaining features.

I'm on the same boat as you but I think I'm keeping mine for the boring drive on the 5 up and down CA. I think it'll help my sanity driving 380 miles of mostly straight lanes.

My other rationale is that when I'm reselling the car- having autopilot is probably something the next owner would expect. If Elon is to be believed the price of autopilot's going up so getting it now is a better value.

Keep the updates coming though! happy to pay $990 for the remaining features.

Even though I don't plan to sell it for many years, I have thought about resale. AP is generally perceived to cost $3k in recent times. The fact that we got it for $2k gives us a $1k advantage at resale. If it goes up from here we will see. I could see FSD going up, but not AP unless they add more features (migrating back toward EAP).

Same here in PA .. still $5k.
Which no longer makes sense under the current pricing structure.
I am sure that it is low priority, but I am hoping this is something that will change sometime in the future. Perhaps someone should tweet Elon.
l can see the logic of Tesla at least with those that took delivery before the SR+ price decrease.
In my view they should compare the cost of SR when it was bought to the price of SR+ at the same time.
If not, a person that bought the SR+ at the same time would be wondering why he/she is not getting the discount.
I'm talking as owner of an SR (actually downgraded from SR+ to SR).
When I downgraded they gave me price difference between the cost of SR Vs SR+ at the time of my purchase.
If a person bought the SR after the price was decreased, I don't know. In a way I would say to keep the upgrade cost higher, like they did with the Autopilot in the past "You want it before taking the car is X amount if after is X+Y amount". I know it looks like not nice and it's "just software", but if I were Tesla, I (as Tesla) would try to get as much money as possible and decide later on what to do, if I need I can still do a special sale like Tesla did with the AutoPilot.
Of course if Tesla allow to upgrade everybody for only 3000 USD from SR to SR+ I'll buy it.

Upgrading to a SR+ won’t enable any extra speakers. It does enable the “immersive sound” option but this is a software effect.

Thank you for the correction... I knew the SR+ had a slight stereo improvement in addition to Range, Acceleration, and AP.

I hear you that the 20 miles, 0.3sec 0-60, and immersive sound isn't worth the extra $1k.

Don't spend a dime on Immersive Sound - it's horrible

I asked my SC this weekend just for fun and see if anything has changed. Still 5k to upgrade. He said if people wanted discounted they should have purchased with the plus upgrade factory.

When I bought my SR (for $35k), the SR+ was $40k ... the price to upgrade is clearly based on the price difference when the SR and SR+ were originally introduced.
Now that the SR+ is $38k and the SR is still $35k, I feel the upgrade price will drop to $3k at some point.

We should start tweeting Elon before quarter end ... or maybe better yet, year end ... to entice us SR owners out there to upgrade to the SR+!

Even though I don't plan to sell it for many years, I have thought about resale. AP is generally perceived to cost $3k in recent times. The fact that we got it for $2k gives us a $1k advantage at resale. If it goes up from here we will see. I could see FSD going up, but not AP unless they add more features (migrating back toward EAP).

Seeing carvana buying quotes and kbb looks like difference from a sr and sr+ is only 1k. On the fence of getting sr+ for the resale but don't really see it. Driving in Arizona no traffic 10 min commute, I can't really justify 3k for autopilot and 20 range and a tiny increase in speed

Upgrading to a SR+ won’t enable any extra speakers. It does enable the “immersive sound” option but this is a software effect.

immersive sound does enable the two pillar speakers. i think without them the sound sounds too far forward anywya so thats some much needed remediation. unfortunately immmersive sound does add some sound processing which adds a bit of reverb and leads to bass smearing...

• Disagree
Reactions: todd2fst4u
When I bought my SR (for $35k), the SR+ was $40k ... the price to upgrade is clearly based on the price difference when the SR and SR+ were originally introduced.
Now that the SR+ is $38k and the SR is still $35k, I feel the upgrade price will drop to $3k at some point.

We should start tweeting Elon before quarter end ... or maybe better yet, year end ... to entice us SR owners out there to upgrade to the SR+!
I agree. I would definitely upgrade my SR for $3,000 more. Tweet this guy already lol