Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade MX 90D to P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The rear drive unit would have to be replaced completely. The P cars have a larger motor in the back. I'm not sure if would even be possible. I remember someone with a Model S asked Tesla to upgrade his normal 85 to a P85 and the upgrade was around 20k or something around that number.

The rear drive unit would have to be replaced completely. The P cars have a larger motor in the back. I'm not sure if would even be possible. I remember someone with a Model S asked Tesla to upgrade his normal 85 to a P85 and the upgrade was around 20k or something around that number.
So battery & connections same, just (famous last words) rear motor?

I only inquire because I'm so loving this car, yet wish I woulda done "P" initially. But mine is a bullet already ;))

Battery is definitely the same. Connections are definitely not the same. The smaller rear drive unit has different mounting and connections, but I would think the rest of the car is the same. An upgrade would most likely be possible, but I don't think Tesla in interested in these upgrades. All the stories I heard about upgrading a Tesla vehicle, the quote they got was very expensive.

Yeah it's a hassle and all, but it would still be easier and you would probably spend less money after the dust settled if you were to sell your 90D and order a new P90D. You can save a bit if you can find an inventory car you're happy with. There is the business of the tax rebates though... That may keep it from being a good solution.

Didn't wk inform us that the drive units were actually the same? It's a rumor out there - not sure I believe it, but some say this is all software.

The drive unit that was in all cars up to the moment the dual motor cars came out was the large one. Up to that point there was only the normal and the P (performance) version. Both had the same drive unit but one was capable of more power. Physically they were the same.
The dual motor cars have two newer, smaller drive units. They are capable of less power but since there are two the cars are still very fast. The P version of the dual motor cars have the larger and more powerful old drive unit in the back and the small one in the front. So to upgrade from a normal dual motor car to a Performance dual motor you would have to swap the smaller drive unit in the back with the larger one. The PxxD have a small one in the front and a large one in the back.

• Informative
Reactions: Roentgen