TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Upgrade my 75kWh Battery?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by LMichel, May 26, 2018.

1. LMichel

LMichel Member

I have a 2017 Model S 75D
    I think I would be interested in upgrading the battery to something with more capacity if possible.
    A quick check on the tesla.com website didn't reveal any options, but I've read here on the forums that owners have done something similar.

Before I get busy with the phone, can anyone give me some idea of the basics?

How long does it take from decision to 'come in and have it done' (lead time)?
    How long does it take to actually do the work?
    What are my options for increase in capacity?
    How much $?

Assuming I like what I read here, what is my next step?

2. Lanber

Lanber Member

Unless you are one of the very very few who got the 85 battery you`re *sugar* out of luck. And that battery only has a few kwh more available than the 75. Like 5kwh or thereabouts.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

There’s no next step, Tesla won’t do this. They’ll tell you to trade in the car for a new one.

• Informative x 1
  4. scole04

scole04 Member

5. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

a battery pack costs roughly between $20k-$30k. nobody knows the exact number. Factor in installation costs, its honestly easier to trade in your car and buy a new one with a larger pack.

6. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Yeah, Tesla will not do this. There are people that can very unofficially do it way off the books, but you would be knowingly voiding your warranty, and I sure wouldn't do that on a 2017 car just for a small increase in range.

7. Krash

Krash Data Technician

There was no 85kW battery shipped in the 75D in the US. The BTX8 (P85D) battery only got included in foreign deliveries.