Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade old NEMA 6-20 outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounded like a really cool and simple solution to this whole thread, but then I went and checked, and it's 500 freaking dollars! The adapter ideas are sounding better.
Yeah. For some reason, I thought they were more like $350. The Clipper Creek one is a lot better value. I don't see a Clipper Creek one with a built in cord but from other threads, it sounds like I could add a plug myself.

Find a 14-30 adapter, replace the breaker with a 30A, and install a 14-30 outlet.

I would advise against this idea. If you have a 6-20 outlet, then it was wired with 12AWG wire. 14-30 requires bigger, 10AWG wire in order to handle 30 amps. The 14-30 adapter will tell the car's charger that it is connected to a 30A circuit, so it will try to pull 24A (80% of 30A rating) and that would overheat those 12 AWG wires, possibly causing a fire. To use such a setup safely, you would have to remember every time to set the charge rate at 16A (80% of 20A) when connected to that outlet.

I bought this one and trying to charge using it with the Tesla 5-20 adapter and UMC. Unfortunately everytime the charge cycle starts it seems to dial up the Amperage to 48A and it trips the 20amp breaker.

I tried to manually dial down the amps drawn in the charge settings on the main screen to 5A before plugging it in, but it still seems to be happening.

Any ideas from anyone? I'm relegated to slow 5-15 110v charging until this can be solved :(

EVSEadapters.com has taken our suggestion and is now offering a 6-20P to 5-20R adapter. It's on this page:
NEMA 14-50R to 6-20P Adapter
which says 14-50R but in the options you can choose 5-20R instead of the 14-50.

Around page 15 of this document, you will find Amazon links to a cord and plug that you can wire together to get a very good 6-20 to 5-20 adapter that you can then use with Tesla 5-20 adapter. No manual amperage setting required.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

This is what I did with my 6-20 outlet. Got the EVSEadapters Tesla cable and the adapter from Tesla. Automatically sets the max charge rate. Although I limit it to 16A. I get 10 miles an hour, which is fine for the amount of driving I do.

What charge rate does it set automatically for you? Before you dial it down to 16amp? And did you get the Tesla 5-20 adapter or was the EVSEADAPTERS.COM one with a 14-50R on the end?

This is what I did with my 6-20 outlet. Got the EVSEadapters Tesla cable and the adapter from Tesla. Automatically sets the max charge rate. Although I limit it to 16A. I get 10 miles an hour, which is fine for the amount of driving I do.

What charge rate does it set automatically for you? Before you dial it down to 16amp? And did you get the Tesla 5-20 adapter or was the EVSEADAPTERS.COM one with a 14-50R on the end?

I don't recall what it automatically set. I was overly cautious and set the charge rate initially to 10A and then 14A and finally 16A. I had never used these outlets before (old garage). But yes, I did get the 5-20 adapter from the Tesla store and the NEMA Tesla Adapter Cable with the 5-20 end from EVSEadapters.

That's what I was hoping to achieve also with my setup.

I don't recall what it automatically set. I was overly cautious and set the charge rate initially to 10A and then 14A and finally 16A. I had never used these outlets before (old garage). But yes, I did get the 5-20 adapter from the Tesla store and the NEMA Tesla Adapter Cable with the 5-20 end from EVSEadapters.