Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade options from 120V (14-50 uncorded vs 14-50 corded vs wall connector)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps not useful since prices will vary depending on your situation, but here are the best estimates I received for each option.

MethodMaximum OutputCost (including all parts/installation before tax)
14-50 with Mobile Connector (14-50 Adapter)32A$1145
14-50 with Mobile Connector (Corded)40A$1300
Wall Connector48A$1480

As some of you guessed, the quoted installation cost ended up being more or less the same between the 14-50 and Wall Connector. The price difference mostly comes down to the cost of the Wall Connector vs Mobile Connector.
Did they give you a material breakdown?
Are you going with the wall connector or mobile?

Potential other option, albeit $550:

That seems to cost nearly as much as a regular wall connector + Tesla->J1772 adapter, so it may not be especially attractive for home situations where it is mostly used for Tesla vehicles.

But if it is mostly used for non-Tesla vehicles, or for destination charging at restaurants, hotels, etc., then it can be attractive, since Tesla vehicles have the needed adapter and everything else needs no adapter.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I feel like for the quotes the OP has gotten for putting in an outlet on the other side of a wall from a panel, it would be worth it to DIY this and learn something. Might be one thing if he had to run wires across a house, but right behind a panel is pretty trivial...

Can you even still buy the corded 14-50 connector? They haven't been in stock for awhile (like years) I thought?
No, not years. They have still been regularly available, except for going in and out of stock every other week, like everything else in their web store.

Potential other option, albeit $550:

WOW! I thought that was gone for good and would never come back. I am really glad to see that! Tesla has always had great pricing per value on their EVSEs, and I had really hoped they would bring back the J1772 wall connectors for households that have mixed EV brands of Tesla and non-Tesla. It would be nicely convenient to be able to put two or three on a sharing network that have the different plug types.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
WOW! I thought that was gone for good and would never come back. I am really glad to see that! Tesla has always had great pricing per value on their EVSEs, and I had really hoped they would bring back the J1772 wall connectors for households that have mixed EV brands of Tesla and non-Tesla. It would be nicely convenient to be able to put two or three on a sharing network that have the different plug types.
I believe $550 is still much cheaper than most if not all Level 2 EVSE's on the market today.

I believe $550 is still much cheaper than most if not all Level 2 EVSE's on the market today.
...and nicely configurable, which I think is a pretty big benefit. The vast majority I have seen out on the market are fixed for just one circuit level. It's impressive to have one that can be set for 15 to 60A circuits. So if you end up changing or moving something later, you don't have the annoyance of having to sell the one you had and buy another if it's going to go on a different sized circuit.

No, not years. They have still been regularly available, except for going in and out of stock every other week, like everything else in their web store.

These look like they are based on Gen 3 wall connectors, vs the last ones they had that were based on Gen 2. When I took a quick look at the tesla website when these were posted here either yesterday or day before, it appears that they support power sharing with other Gen 3s, which is different from the gen 2 J1772 they had previously, at least thats what I remember.

Definitely a nice option for someone who might have tesla and non tesla EVs.

It's a fair price, but there are a lot of J1772 L2 wall mount EVSE's on the market at or below that price.

Ones that can do 48amps? I havent seen many at all that will support up to 48 amps, and definitely not at a price of $550 or less. Perhaps you could share some that are same specs with us?

Ones that can do 48amps? I havent seen many at all that will support up to 48 amps, and definitely not at a price of $550 or less. Perhaps you could share some that are same specs with us?
The only ones I see per a quick Google search that are cheaper than $550 are Lectron branded and can only do 32 amps on a 14-50 receptacle. Also I'd be concerned with the quality of some of these cheaper EVSE's. We know the Tesla Wall Connectors are top of the line.

32 amps for $400:

48 amps at ~$1,000:

• Informative
Ones that can do 48amps?
Yes, but that wasn't the original statement. It was just L2 chargers in general.

The only ones I see per a quick Google search that are cheaper than $550 are Lectron branded and can only do 32 amps on a 14-50 receptacle. Also I'd be concerned with the quality of some of these cheaper EVSE's. We know the Tesla Wall Connectors are top of the line.
A bit disingenuous to say "nobody sells one for less because I'm ignoring all the less expensive ones because they're cheaper"
Lectron does sell a 48A J1772 for $470 (V-box 48A).
Anyway, only point here is there are a lot of J1772 options, but it's great Tesla is in that market too.

A bit disingenuous to say "nobody sells one for less because I'm ignoring all the less expensive ones because they're cheaper"
Anyway, only point here is there are a lot of J1772 options, but it's great Tesla is in that market too.
I didn't see that Lectron 48 amps one for $470 when I did my quick search. So yes, seems comparable pricing at least for some 48 amps EVSE's.

Yes, but that wasn't the original statement. It was just L2 chargers in general.

No, that wasn't what we were talking about. We were talking about things that are comparable. It's not disingenuous to dismiss dollar store flip-flops when discussing hiking boots. That's understood in the topic. That's why I said Tesla has good "pricing per value". For something this capable, the price is good. We all know there are pathetic charging cords that can only do 120V 12A out on the market for cheap. That was never what we were talking about here.

OK, THAT is actually relevant. It's a rare find for that level of capability and pricing. Thanks.

I really like the mobile connectors we have. I moved from a 14-50 to a 6-50. It was nice to just change adapters and get it working for $50. I set charging at 25amp.

Side note: electric charging in my
Garage is freeeeeeeeeeeee and I drive a *sugar* ton. Take that ICE! When was the last time you got free gas. Ummm never. I get free electricity every night.

Here's a little math: 208v*32a/115v*12 = 4.8. In other words, you are using 4.8 times the power. My car told me I was getting 6mrph at 115v, and now that I've installed a wall charger it tells me I get 30mrph, exactly 5 times. There is some rounding error since the car only reports whole numbers. My point though is it is no more or less efficient, you get what you pay for.

As for cost, I just paid $550 for an install that was maybe 5' from the panel. It took about an hour and a half. Combine that with the wall charger cost I'm only $1050 out for the whole thing. My panel could only support a 40amp breaker, but the car can only do 32amps anyway. Also there is a tax credit that I can take. Not sure if it is Federal and NY State or just state.

Also I have solar with a big surplus being produced so charging has a marginal cost of zero since the solar was all paid for.

I'm surprised I got a better deal here in Brooklyn than you're getting in Cali.