Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade path from P90D to DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.... I was at a Tesla showroom in Boston where the employee indicated that the upgrade from the P90D to the DL is no longer available. And sure enough, it is no longer available in the Tesla Online Store. Does anyone have any information about possible upgrade paths? (always good to know my options...)

Call your local service center. The upgrade from a P90D to a P90DL on a Model S and X is nothing more than a software unlock code (and a $1 plastic stick-on underline).

This may not be true. The battery pack itself is different, I believe. Also, if you do find a way to go through with it, know that not every P90DL is the same. You may not actually get the power level you are expecting.

I called my local service center and received some information...
I can upgrade to the P100DL for $20,000 . This includes a battery exchange and the L activation.... and the "100D" in the back.
This is the same price as if I purchased the car this way.... plus I've used the battery a couple of months.
I cannot say this isn't tempting!

I called my local service center and received some information...
I can upgrade to the P100DL for $20,000 . This includes a battery exchange and the L activation.... and the "100D" in the back.
This is the same price as if I purchased the car this way.... plus I've used the battery a couple of months.
I cannot say this isn't tempting!

Are you sure this is true? They may misunderstand you. Previously someone wrote that, they had to pay for the Ludicrous + $20.000 for 100 battery.
If they offer P90D to P100DL for $10.000 this is a great deal, but it may make current P90D Ludicrous owners(like me) sad, since the money they paid for Ludicrous upgrade was waste.

Are you sure this is true? They may misunderstand you. Previously someone wrote that, they had to pay for the Ludicrous + $20.000 for 100 battery.
If they offer P90D to P100DL for $10.000 this is a great deal, but it may make current P90D Ludicrous owners(like me) sad, since the money they paid for Ludicrous upgrade was waste.

As a P90DL owner, I'd be cool with it. It's not always gonna be fair. To assume otherwise is folly.

Reactions: soooma
This is what they released to the press at launch of the p100d:

"Tesla buyers who have ordered a P90D with Ludicrous Mode but not taken delivery will be able to upgrade to the P100D for $10,000, while owners of current P90D vehicles with Ludicrous Mode will be able to replace their existing battery pack for $20,000. In that case, the old pack will be recycled."

It doesn't say any p90d owner. You have to already have ludicrous for these prices.

Last edited:
Well, I am sure what my conversation with the service department was. I did not try to "fact check" the information.
The numbers sound right to me though.... $10,000 for the L upgrade, $10,000 for the battery exchange.
That is what they charge if you haven't taken delivery yet. They can give you full credit for the 90Kwh battery you've already paid for. Once you've taken delivery, you have a used 90kwh battery that they have to recycle hence the extra $10,000 dollar charge.

Now that the P90D is no longer an option, I thought I would revisit this option.

It turns out that the information I originally received, P90D to P100DL cost of $20K, was wrong. As pointed out above, it is $30k.
As fun and bragging-icous that may be, it be not an option for me.
my P90D might be one of the more rare Teslas out there! And despite my always wanting the best and latest, I am still quite happy with my choice!

Reactions: St Charles
I'm in the same boat as you Sandman1962 - albeit in the UK. My refresh P90D (VIN 138XXX) doesn't have Ludicrous and is now discontinued! When I took (CPO) delivery, 6 weeks ago, I enquired about the Ludicrous update and was told it would cost £10,000 and would require the battery to be dropped for hardware updates (I guess this is the new smart fuse going in) - that definitely wasn't worth it for me so I'm sticking with the P90D without the underline.

My eyes lit up when I saw your post about a P90D => P100D upgrade for £20k as that would make more sense for me but as I later read, it wasn't to be.

I guess our cars are reasonably rare now, although unfortunately I doubt that fact will have much impact on residuals.

Reactions: soooma