Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade SR to SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call or stop by another Tesla store and ask them, then go back to your local one with the info and you can say it came from Tesla. But I know from reading some threads on here people with SRs have been able to upgrade to SR+. Nice to have the extra range during winters and if your daily driving is better with it, something you may not find out personally until you’ve had the car for a bit.

Is there anything special about your case and curious if you’re asking prior to buying or after purchase? Wonder if that makes a difference ie bought SR+ and asked for downgrade and refund and now changed mind and want to go back to SR+. If new to ordering I’d weigh the after cost and range and features involved. Might be advantageous to go the SR+ route to begin with. Also on new orders there might be things no longer installed in the SR to fully be a SR+.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some day in the near future with production up at a certain level if Tesla hasn’t had the time to produce the SR as intended — with fabric seats and more limited features. To make the SR available when they did they didn’t see it possible production wise so downgraded an SR+ to what they thought would to be more fair to SR+ owners. However to keep margins what they want and to make the SR more affordable it might be possible now. They will be facing more lower end vehicles in the 220 range from other manufacturers and always wanted to get the SR price down. Just a thought.

Last edited:
As with everything Tesla, what they offered in the past does not mean they are currently offering it.
This particular upgrade seems like a no brainer for them, and a way that they can get more money, but...

They used to offer the Model S a 60-70 upgrade
Then a Model S 60-75 upgrade(with the potential to get it "uncorked" and even faster)

Last edited:
I had mine upgraded about a month ago. $4500+tax. So nearly $5000 upgrade for........Fog lights and about 15 miles of additional range, plus AP of course. Pretty simple process, they just collect payment over the phone and a PDF to sign over email. I had a FSD trial stuck on my screen until I restarted the Car. Few hours later I have AP and the features listed above. I just requested the upgrade on the “service” section of the app.

I had mine upgraded about a month ago. $4500+tax. So nearly $5000 upgrade for........Fog lights and about 15 miles of additional range, plus AP of course. Pretty simple process, they just collect payment over the phone and a PDF to sign over email. I had a FSD trial stuck on my screen until I restarted the Car. Few hours later I have AP and the features listed above. I just requested the upgrade on the “service” section of the app.

Don't be surprised if the fog lights are deactivated in a future software update. SR+ does not include active fog lights, even though some cars had them physically installed. Some people report the fog lights worked for awhile but at some point a software upgrade ended up deactivating them.

Basically range, performance, and AP are the only features that the SR+ had that an SR didn't. You're mainly paying the price for AP and gaining a bit of extra range and a fraction of a second faster for 60mph.

Audio, lights, heated seats all should be the same between the two models

Don't be surprised if the fog lights are deactivated in a future software update. SR+ does not include active fog lights, even though some cars had them physically installed. Some people report the fog lights worked for awhile but at some point a software upgrade ended up deactivating them.

Basically range, performance, and AP are the only features that the SR+ had that an SR didn't. You're mainly paying the price for AP and gaining a bit of extra range and a fraction of a second faster for 60mph.

Also the bit of extra range is really for trips only, since you can charge the SR to 100% routinely since it's software lock. AP can be bought for $3K

So really it's $1500 for a fraction of a second faster for 60mph

Call or stop by another Tesla store and ask them, then go back to your local one with the info and you can say it came from Tesla. But I know from reading some threads on here people with SRs have been able to upgrade to SR+. Nice to have the extra range during winters and if your daily driving is better with it, something you may not find out personally until you’ve had the car for a bit.

Is there anything special about your case and curious if you’re asking prior to buying or after purchase? Wonder if that makes a difference ie bought SR+ and asked for downgrade and refund and now changed mind and want to go back to SR+. If new to ordering I’d weigh the after cost and range and features involved. Might be advantageous to go the SR+ route to begin with. Also on new orders there might be things no longer installed in the SR to fully be a SR+.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some day in the near future with production up at a certain level if Tesla hasn’t had the time to produce the SR as intended — with fabric seats and more limited features. To make the SR available when they did they didn’t see it possible production wise so downgraded an SR+ to what they thought would to be more fair to SR+ owners. However to keep margins what they want and to make the SR more affordable it might be possible now. They will be facing more lower end vehicles in the 220 range from other manufacturers and always wanted to get the SR price down. Just a thought.

To be honest, it’s because of an on going argument with my wife.

She hates autopilot. She tried in our test drive and was not comfortable using it and given autopilot is the biggest piece of an SR+, she does not see the value. As stated, since the SR is a software lock range, you can charge to 100% as you aren’t truly charging the batteries fully.

That said... I think once she gets the car, she will get more comfortable and maybe decide to go for the autopilot so the ability to upgrade is big for me as I would have purchased it from the get go.

$4500 to upgrade?

Let's see... I downgraded my SR+ to SR and got $2500 back ($2700 because of tax). I didn't have AP.
If I buy AP now, according to Tesla.com, it will cost $3000.

So if I can upgrade my SR to SR+ to include AP for $4500, my out of pocket cost will be $2000 before tax.
This would be a way to save $1000 if I wanted AP. LOL.

Wait, I thought heated seats were part of the SR+ and not the SR. Is that not the case? I got my car in April and they said it would be downgraded and I never even noticed a change. I kept waiting for the heated seats to go away and that never happened. How do I even know if it was ever downgraded?

Wait, I thought heated seats were part of the SR+ and not the SR. Is that not the case? I got my car in April and they said it would be downgraded and I never even noticed a change. I kept waiting for the heated seats to go away and that never happened. How do I even know if it was ever downgraded?
You’ll see on the screen when you click on the “T” it shows your car model.
SR has front heated seats like SR+.Difference as said is 20miles. Little more acceleration and (for those cars bought after mid April) AP.
Fog light in the SR+ it depends on when the model was bought

Fog Lights were part of the SR+ Package when I purchased the SR. The only people that had them deactivated were SR owners.

$4500 to upgrade?

Let's see... I downgraded my SR+ to SR and got $2500 back ($2700 because of tax). I didn't have AP.

So if I can upgrade my SR to SR+ to include AP for $4500, my out of pocket cost will be $2000 before tax.
It's not a fixed amount to upgrade, it's whatever was the price difference when you bought. In your case I'd expect they would want the $2700 + $3000.

$4500 to upgrade?

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here.

The original SR was $35K while the original SR+ was $37,500. Neither car had autopilot so the $2,500 gave you the extra 20 miles. At first it appeared you were getting a “partial premium interior” on the SR+ while the SR would get you the manual cloth seats. But then Tesla backtracked and never built cloth seat cars so they gave away the SR with the partial premium interiors for $35K.

Now the spread in price is $4,500 but that is because the SR+ includes autopilot while the SR still does not. Since autopilot cost $3K to add on that leaves $1,500 to cover the extra 20 miles, and some other very minor features. I see little to no reason to spend the money for 20 more miles. If you want autopilot just add it to your car for $3K.

Reactions: SlimJim