Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade stock bluetooth microphone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many others have complained about, people can't hear me when I call them on Bluetooth in my 2020 Model X.

I think it has to be the quality of the microphone and nothing to do with the car because the quality is very poor even when the car isn't moving and making any noise.

Has anyone tried swapping the stock microphone out for a better one that's perhaps higher quality? Or would anyone know how to go about doing this? I want to give it a shot!

I took delivery of a 2021 Model 3 LR on Monday. I made a call from the car on Tuesday (iPhone 11 Pro) and the my voice sounded fine at the other end. I was doing about 70mph on the motorway. Today i made two calls to different people at the same speed on the motorway, one of them even called me back and both calls i sounded terrible apparently, like i was speaking through tracing paper although they sounded fine. My signal was no less than 3 bars for all the calls. I've got 2021.40.6 which i think its the latest firmware for the M3.

iPhone people have a look at this. I tried it out and it actually seemed to help:

I posted this on a Mac forum, and someone shared this advice. I'm going to try it out:

"Try Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > switch from "Automatic" to "Bluetooth Headset"

Even after this fix there have a been a couple times when voice recognition got garbled. But generally it's improved.

I actually did a little A/B testing using the 'voice memos' app on the iphone, making a recording through the Bluetooth microphones in the car, and then turning off Bluetooth and making a similar recording using the iPhones built-in microphones. The speakerphone mics on the iPhone are actually very good! Make your own audio files this way and you'll see immediately.

But all that glorious high frequency detail gets filtered out anyway once you're on a telephone call, so for phone purposes there's really no difference. The microphones in the Tesla just need to be good enough for phone call quality. They certainly seem to be able to do that. And they're much more convenient (and presumably tuned to filter out a lot of road noise) when they're working properly.

Reactions: MaxCupR