Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When do we expect a 400 mile Model S will be available? Perhaps with a battery upgrade alongside the interior refresh in 2019?
My question is, if battery capacity continues to get bigger and cheaper in theory would that allow for say, a 9 year old MS60 to get an inevitable battery replacement for cheap and get almost 500 mi. range in 4 or 5 years?

My question is, if battery capacity continues to get bigger and cheaper in theory would that allow for say, a 9 year old MS60 to get an inevitable battery replacement for cheap and get almost 500 mi. range in 4 or 5 years?

Battery upgrades aren't going to be possible. The battery capacity increases will be coming from new chemistry and new battery pack architectures like different cell sizes as we've seen with the Model 3. The cost to retrofit an upgrade would likely be as much as buying a new car so why would a company want to pour resources into offering a retrofit for a near 10 year old car? From a consumer standpoint, I'd love for them to offer the option, but the business case makes no sense.

Battery upgrades aren't going to be possible. The battery capacity increases will be coming from new chemistry and new battery pack architectures like different cell sizes as we've seen with the Model 3. The cost to retrofit an upgrade would likely be as much as buying a new car so why would a company want to pour resources into offering a retrofit for a near 10 year old car? From a consumer standpoint, I'd love for them to offer the option, but the business case makes no sense.

But Elon tweeted.....:D:p;)

• Funny
Reactions: mburnet6
So wait, if seven years from now Tesla needs to replace my battery under the 8 year waranty, I assume that they won't still have current stock of 90Ds sitting around. Much like when some current 60 owners were upgraded free of charge to 75s as part of the uncorking. So since Tesla will have moved on to larger capacity batteries, wouldn't they retrofit one of those instead?

So wait, if seven years from now Tesla needs to replace my battery under the 8 year waranty, I assume that they won't still have current stock of 90Ds sitting around. Much like when some current 60 owners were upgraded free of charge to 75s as part of the uncorking. So since Tesla will have moved on to larger capacity batteries, wouldn't they retrofit one of those instead?

I wouldn't assume it is a like for like replacement; they're going to have to build up a surplus for replacements of current packs. You may get an upgrade to a 100, but I wouldn't expect them to replace my 75 with a new 150 or whatever size they come up with.

Reactions: BulldogsRus