TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Upgrade to 200A - Charging Solution in the Home

Discussion in 'Canada' started by e4chan, Oct 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. e4chan

e4chan Member

Hey all,

I am a recent purchaser of a Model S P85+ and currently waiting for delivery. I had a quick question - did anyone that had a 100A in the house upgrade to 200A because they purchased the HPWC? Especially if they added the twin chargers to the package (which recently was split into 2 packages - before it was bundled)?

Like to know your thoughts? As I am contemplating doing the upgrade to future-proof my home.

Thanks,
    e4

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I already had a 200 amp panel in my house before my HPWC was installed a few weeks ago. But my electrician told me that he could not have installed my HPWC if I would have had a 100 amp panel (which I did have before 2006' at hat time I upgraded as part of a major house remodel).

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

When I got my Roadster I was kinda shocked to discover that my fairly new house had a 100A panel. Panel size was not listed in the specs when it was built, so I totally missed that. I did the panel upgrade and it wasn't cheap! Ottawa Hydro charges a kilobuck just to disconnect and reconnect the meter

4. DRK

DRK Member

My home has a 200amp panel, but was fairly full with enough room for just the Nema 14-50 so I elected to go with that which was $800.00 to install. I then had my HPWC installed at my office where I have better access to power. Having the 14-50 at home is plenty as it will charge at roughly 40km/hr plus. My HPWC at the office, even after a trip down from the cottage has me full by noon. If I had to do it again, personally I would have just installed the 14-50's.

5. e4chan

e4chan Member

Thanks for the feedback. I may upgrade my line to 200A for the future. You never know what else you will be doing to the home.

It's going to cost me though....hope I am making the right decision.

e4

6. KR1

KR1 Member

My hydro meter is on the side of the garage, right outside where I want install my HPWC. I have a 100A panel inside the house. I am talking with electricians about installing a 200A panel in the garage that will then feed the existing panel inside my house and my HPWC.