TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Upgrade to 75KWh

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by gcgp, May 15, 2016.

1. gcgp

gcgp Member

Hi guys.

Quick question about the 75KWh upgrade, I just got a call and was quoted $4,500 for the upgrade. I asked him if I could upgrade it after delivery (I was told by another tesla rep that I could) but I was told that there was no guarantee it would stay at $4,500 if upgrade happened after delivery. I looked at the configurator and there is not mention of a different cost if upgrade happens after delivery. Autopilot and the high power charger upgrade both have different prices quoted if done after delivery but upgrade to 75KWh has no after delivery price.

Has anyone (who ordered a 70) had the same info given them?

I was hoping to upgrade after 6 months so that there would be no LCT.

2. jeebb_

jeebb_ Member

I would say it's more after delivery, they might just not have prices set until the new ones start arriving here. In the U.S it's $3000 if done during order or $3250 to have "activated" later on.

3. gcgp

gcgp Member

I just got this email after I emailed to say I wanted to get the upgrade.

"Unfortunately at this point in time we have put this upgrade option on hold for customers like yourself who have placed an order, this is not too say it won’t be something that is available for you in the future.

Again I am so sorry for offering this upgrade to you, basically the circumstances were unforeseen! I really do hope that we can get it solved for you."

4. paulp

paulp Member

Sounds like our nanny government might be harassing someone on the small issue of tax avoidance

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Ohh snap. I never thought of that.

So, at delivery you pay car price * 6% (in PA)

lower car price = less $ to the free loading Gov't...

enable later = no tax going to people who just... don't feel like working...

is there sales tax on the upgrades?! I never thought of this aspect. Sell me a $10,000 Tesla, and I'll upgrade everything later!

6. Jbailey

Jbailey Member

Curious...if you have the 75 KWh battery not upgraded with software (functioning as a 70KWh), will you get 5Kwh degradation insurance. I have heard that those with a 40KWh battery do not experience battery time decrease since it is really a 60 KWh programmed to 40KwH

7. gcgp

gcgp Member

Got another email from tesla. It seems the issue is with registering the car as a 75D, since I ordered it as a 70D.

8. rowdy

rowdy Member

I think it's a blessing in disguise. Save your money.

As Jbailey said it's great insurance against degradation of the battery (which will happen). It's highly likely that after a few years your battery capacity will have degraded to 70kwh anyway. Is it really worth paying $4,500+tax for a couple of years of slightly higher range?

The other thing is with a software limited 70kwh battery you won't hit the regen limit. One of the most annoying things with the car is that when you charge above 97% the ability of the car to regen brake is greatly limited. It completely changes the way the car drives when you are used to it braking when lifting your foot off the accelerator (instead you continue at the same speed or can even end up accelerating if going down hill).

It's hard to describe but after a while driving a Tesla you become completely used to how regen braking slows you down. It feels very weird to charge to 100% and then drive and feel like you have no braking ability. It's a nice benefit of the software limited 70kwh that you won't be able to charge the battery to a level where the regen limit kicks in.

9. gcgp

gcgp Member

That is true. I did consider whether the extra 20kms per full charge was worth it. My (twisted) logic went like this. I get 10KHw usable charge on my Volt and it (in Australia) cost me 55,000. So 5KHw on the Volt is 27,500. So 4,500+tax is less than that. :p
    But I am rethinking the upgrade.

The issue with software limited capacity is the question of where the limit is. Is the limit at the lower end meaning the battery registers as 0% when there really is still around 6.7% or is it at the top end where a 100% full charge is actually only 93.3%. If the limit is at the bottom end then the regen limit will still be reached if you charge to 100%. If the limit is at the top end then the regen limit will not be reached.

10. rowdy

rowdy Member

Indeed. The assumption is that it'll be done in the same way as the software limited 40kwh, where they limited at the top end. Battery wise it makes a lot more sense to do it this way

Lower degradation (since the worst thing for batteries is high state of charge for prolonged periods)
    Faster supercharging (tapering is pretty severe above 90%)
    Avoids brake regen limiting

Of course we won't really know until the packs start being delivered. At least people have decoded the battery CAN bus data now so we'll be able to know one way or the other as soon as cars are delivered.

11. SabrToothSqrl

Is there tax on enabling stuff after delivery?

So, AP at purchase adds $2500 = $2500 * 6% to the state = $150.00

AP after purchase = $3000 with no tax? some tax? Uncle Sam stealing your left arm...?

Does the same hold true for the charger / 75D?

12. gcgp

gcgp Member

In Australia there is ALWAYS tax on purchases or payment for services. Its GST at 10%. (Technically there are GST free services but you still pay the GST and get a GST refund.) If the AP is added at purchase, you pay GST plus luxury car tax! If the upgrade is done months after purchase then you only pay GST on top of cost price, but then the cost price will be higher. So if we use $2,500 and $3000 then:

At purchase: $2500 + GST (10% = $250) + LCT(cost *10/11*33% = $750) = $3,500
    After purchase: $3000 + GST(10% = $300) = $3,300

So, in Australia for cars more than $57,440 + GST (for non-fuel efficient cars) any add on during purchase adds to the LCT. But if upgrade is after purchase then on GST is applied. But that upgrade has to be done, as I have been told, more than 6 months after delivery.

13. raynewman

raynewman Member

Actual figures are - at purchase $3800 (incl GST) + $1140 LCT + state dependent stamp duty.
    after purchase $4500 (incl GST)
    Note: Most Tesla quoted prices include GST as is required by legislation.

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

It's sales tax. You're buying something from Tesla. If you go into a Tesla store and buy a T-Shirt you're paying sales tax on that as well.

I don't know of anywhere in the U.S. where the sales tax on cars is lower than the general sales tax. In some places it's lower, or you may have a local sales-tax exemptions on EV's (generally Tesla doesn't qualify for these though), so it would actually be worse to add stuff after the fact.

So not sure what you gain here unless you later go across state lines to do this.

15. gcgp

gcgp Member

I forgot about stamp duty. :(
    So I guess it will be cheaper, even with the higher post delivery cost of the 75KHw upgrade, to get the upgrade after delivery. Its just a question of getting the 75D badge.
    I wonder if tesla is willing to put the badge in before delivery if I promise to upgrade after a few months? He he he
    Hmmm... I'm still deciding if its worth it though.

16. SabrToothSqrl

in PA, there is no tax on 'services' only materials... is enabling auto pilot a Service or a material?

is enabling a faster charge a service or material? you already own the 'parts' to both... my argument would be that it's a service...

17. deonb

deonb Active Member

If you download trial software from the web, then later buy an activation key, do you pay sales tax?

18. SabrToothSqrl

Don't know...