Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to a 2022 M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help me decide, I got offered 50K for my current 2020 M3 LR. This is 3K more than what I paid for the car Aug 2020, as we all know normally cars don't appreciate 18 months into ownership.

I'm in a financial and work from home position to sell this and wait for delivery on a 2022 LR M3. The features I'm most excited about are the heated steering wheel, heat pump, slightly larger battery, laminated glass and taking advantage of a crazy market.

Since my offer was through vroom I would lose out on taxes (in PA, if you trade and buy from the same dealer you only pay sales tax on the difference). Which means I would still need to shell out 4.5K to upgrade.

Would you do it?

Try TrueCar ("Sell Your Car" option at the top of the page) and submit your car's info. You'll get an offer from local dealers that way, which may allow you a way to take advantage of the PA tax laws.

For what may end up being a better offer than what you already received, try CarBuyerUsa. I've sold them two EVs thus far an have no complains. They've always offered several thousand more than Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, etc. in my experience.

And, yes - the incremental improvements under the skin of these cars make the upgrade worth the effort, in my opinion. Once the used car pricing craziness has subsided, if you think you'd regret not having swapped your car for a newer version then you probably have your answer.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sightman
Everybody's situation is different, but I went through the same analysis and told myself I would do it if the difference was 2-3K. My difference was similar to yours, so I didn't do it. I'm really waiting on a solid-state battery, or maybe the 4680, so I expect I'll go through this again a few years from now.

Everybody's situation is different, but I went through the same analysis and told myself I would do it if the difference was 2-3K. My difference was similar to yours, so I didn't do it. I'm really waiting on a solid-state battery, or maybe the 4680, so I expect I'll go through this again a few years from now.
I hear you. I fully recognize the tech on these cars are on warp speed. In several years presumably the market will return to normal and the depreciation will be more “normal”. I also think the 4680s are a long way from coming to the 3/Y. Since those batteries are needed for Semi and Cybertruck.

Your 2 year old car has lost at least $10,000 in value and even though that "paper loss" isn't apparent today, it's there and will emerge eventually.
And 2 years is about the lifespan of a car in PA anyway. It's surely just a crumpled heap of rust by now, held together entirely by salt.

The '22 has such a vast list of upgrades as well - heat pump, HV battery, LV battery, Ryzen MCU, laminated glass, heated wheel, power trunk, center airbag, etc. you'd be crazy not to take this once in a lifetime opportunity to trade in your old beater for a new car for little more than the cost of a nice bottle of wine.

4680's are at least 3 years away from going in a M3. MY, Cybertruck, and Semi all before the M3.

I would upgrade personally as I am planning on doing it myself from my 8/21 M3 LR and I will come out even or ahead (also slimmer of hope for tax credit).

Your 2 year old car has lost at least $10,000 in value and even though that "paper loss" isn't apparent today, it's there and will emerge eventually.
And 2 years is about the lifespan of a car in PA anyway. It's surely just a crumpled heap of rust by now, held together entirely by salt.

The '22 has such a vast list of upgrades as well - heat pump, HV battery, LV battery, Ryzen MCU, laminated glass, heated wheel, power trunk, center airbag, etc. you'd be crazy not to take this once in a lifetime opportunity to trade in your old beater for a new car for little more than the cost of a nice bottle of wine.
I know there are few guarantees in life...but is there assurance at this point that a new M3 ordered today will come with MCU3?

Pretty much, so long as you take standard delivery (end of March). But if you accept an early delivery within the next few weeks it'll likely be a rejected December build. By late March every car should have the entire list of 2022 upgrades plus a few smaller changes.

Tesla doesn't stockpile components and they don't run different production lines for special configurations so when they make an update it flows into the full production line pretty quickly.

4680's are at least 3 years away from going in a M3. MY, Cybertruck, and Semi all before the M3.

I would upgrade personally as I am planning on doing it myself from my 8/21 M3 LR and I will come out even or ahead (also slimmer of hope for tax credit).
Don't hold your breath.. we're still waiting to see a Model S with 2170 cells, which was discussed a number of years ago. I'd be very surprised to see a M3 with 4680's in the next half decade.

To OP: go for it. The M3 (and MY, as noted) have made some major improvements in the last year. My friend has an '18 M3 and just got a '22 M3. The differences are staggeringly good. These inflated used car prices won't stick around for ever. Take advantage of the opportunity.

Reactions: sightman