Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to CCS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I’ve got a 2017 S P100D with the standard type 2 socket. Recently 2 superchargers on my usual route to Melbourne have opened up (Colac and Geelong), but both are only CCS compatible, which I find quite annoying.
so my understanding is that I could ask for my socket to be upgraded to CCS - but will I then still be able to use the old destination chargers which all are Type 2? Is there an adapter from CCS to type 2 to make use of the destination chargers?
Any help with that decision would be much appreciated.
Regards CC

Hi,
I’ve got a 2017 S P100D with the standard type 2 socket. Recently 2 superchargers on my usual route to Melbourne have opened up (Colac and Geelong), but both are only CCS compatible, which I find quite annoying.
so my understanding is that I could ask for my socket to be upgraded to CCS - but will I then still be able to use the old destination chargers which all are Type 2? Is there an adapter from CCS to type 2 to make use of the destination chargers?
Any help with that decision would be much appreciated.
Regards CC
The plug doesn't change.. (nothing more would fit in the flap in the S and X).

Rather you get an electronics upgrade and an adapter to a CCS2 plug - which lets you use the Tesla v3s as well as any Evie or Chargefox CCS2 units.

(Not certain, but I suspect if you previously had a Chademo adapter it probably won't work after the upgrade)

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
I've had this fitted to my 2015 P90DL and use Chargefox CCS2 Extensively .
Quick Points
- Car itself remains the same physically, it looks the same all that you get is a Small Plastic Adaptor that converts CCS2 to the Tesla Socket (Type 2)
- Destination Charger and Wall Chargers continue to work the same way.
- Chamedo Adaptor still works as well (I've used it once)

As others have already said, the upgrade doesn't involve a physical change to the port on your car. Destination chargers continue to work as before.

As a side note you may be interested to know that even the cars with a native CCS2 port (eg the Model 3) can just plug straight in to destination chargers as well. That's because the CCS2 port is a Type 2 port with an additional DC connector portion, and can be used as an ordinary Type 2 port (the DC part of the connector just remains disconnected):

model3-ccs-port-nl-spotted-featured.jpg

Reactions: moa999 and Chuq
Definitely do the upgrade, really opens up your charging options.
Everything stays physically the same with your car, just some wiring changes and they give you an adapter that plugs into your old socket and allows CCS2 to plug-in. You can still use type 2 chargers and type 2 shaped superchargers but you can also use the huge number of CCS2 charges that are out there.
For example, I recently did a road trip down to and around Tasmania. Tasmania has 15 or so CCS2 charges and only a single Tesla supercharger which opened after I left :)
Look at them all!

1625645830949.png

Tip for those of you, forgetful types like me, getting the upgrade.

Put some colourful tape around the adapter. That way when your charging session is done you might remember to remove the adapter before putting the charging plug back into the holder on the charging point.

At a charging session in Mildura, I left my adapter on the plug and was able to reholster the whole lot in the NRMA charging point. I drove off without my adapter, a $250 mistake.

On the up side, I was able to make my money back on that trip by getting free charging all the way from Canberra to Adelaide.

• Helpful
Reactions: moa999
Tip for those of you, forgetful types like me, getting the upgrade.

Put some colourful tape around the adapter. That way when your charging session is done you might remember to remove the adapter before putting the charging plug back into the holder on the charging point.

At a charging session in Mildura, I left my adapter on the plug and was able to reholster the whole lot in the NRMA charging point. I drove off without my adapter, a $250 mistake.

On the up side, I was able to make my money back on that trip by getting free charging all the way from Canberra to Adelaide.

I'm impressed you managed to get the Adaptor and Plug Holstered. I'd be paranoid about doing the same thing but all of the Chargefox/Evie Stations I've used wouldn't allow me to Plug the Charger back with the Extra Adaptor even if I forgot!!!