Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD $4,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the "Me Too" camp here...

I have a March 2019 M3 SR+ that somehow has EAP.

I'm not going to lie, these situations make me somewhat envious.

I've got a March 2019 SR+ as well, but we configured it without AP and purchased AP after the fact. No EAP features, upgrade to FSD is still $7,000.

So there's nothing inherently special about March 2019 vehicles, if that affects your decision to upgrade or not. I think your EAP could possibly be taken away.

Thanks for all the feedback! I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to FSD.

A few days later I used the app to try to schedule the HW3 upgrade, assuming the appointment would be canceled. It was. Though I did learn that, according to Tesla service, it can take 1-2 weeks for the updated profile to flag the retrofit. We'll see how long it actually takes to get into the queue.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Bumping this - just bought a 2018 Performance Model 3 and it has Enhanced Autopilot. 2.5 HW.

Am I correct with assuming the $4k figure will increase to $5k next month, or is that $1k increase just of folks that have standard Autopilot?

I think it went up for both groups when they last increased it 1k, if that's correct I'd expect it does the same now as well- ideally someone else remembers better than I do to confirm though.

March 19 owner here. I had the EAP for about six months and an upgrade took it away. I wasn’t happy of course. I know that each upgrade will check your car’s configuration with your MVP agreement (confirmed by the Tesla store) and will make changes without asking the owner. I’ve seen a few examples where people had rear seat heaters that went away after an upgrade.

This is a bit of a gray area — if you paid for X and got X + Y when you walked out of the dealership, I don’t think there’s a law that they cannot take it away (even if it’s a bag of cash). Is there? But given this is a piece of software, it’s much easier to tackle this over the air. I personally think that if my car came configured with X + Y, they shouldn’t touch it after I’ve driven away because they have had every opportunity to configure it correctly prior to selling it to me. This doesn’t apply to over the air “updates” / enhancements because:

a) It’s one of the reasons to buy Tesla per their advertisements and eventually those feature enhancements will stop for my trim which I know.

b) Most features are still explicitly stated to be in beta on screen Eg autosteer - I didn’t pay for a beta software which means tesla needs to continue to enhance it to a point where they declare, for that model and trim, that this is the best it’ll get and take it out of beta.

To OP: The EAP you have will likely go away one day. I’d be interested to see how Tesla will tackle this because you obviously didn’t pay for EAP so you technically owe them $3000.

To OP: The EAP you have will likely go away one day. I’d be interested to see how Tesla will tackle this because you obviously didn’t pay for EAP so you technically owe them $3000.
They can't legally take away EAP in this case. He does not owe Tesla anything legally. Only because he paid for FSD. FSD is a very specific set of features that happens to also include everything that's included in EAP. If they did, he would very easily be able to win in court or arbitration as he has a receipt for a purchase of a defined set of features that Tesla took away.

What Tesla could likely do is to refund him the 4K and then remove all EAP and FSD features. This is still a very gray area here that I don't know how a court would see. It would set an uncomfortable precedence that a company is allowed to take back a purchased product in order to sell it back to the customer for more money.

They can't legally take away EAP in this case. He does not owe Tesla anything legally. Only because he paid for FSD. FSD is a very specific set of features that happens to also include everything that's included in EAP. If they did, he would very easily be able to win in court or arbitration as he has a receipt for a purchase of a defined set of features that Tesla took away.

What Tesla could likely do is to refund him the 4K and then remove all EAP and FSD features. This is still a very gray area here that I don't know how a court would see. It would set an uncomfortable precedence that a company is allowed to take back a purchased product in order to sell it back to the customer for more money.
What you’re basically saying is that if your car came with EAP when you purchased AP (mostly the cars in early 2019 that demonstrate this snafu), then upgrade to FSD for $4k ASAP and save the receipts. Pay $4k to avoid losing $2k (given AP was $3k and EAP was $5k) :)

What you’re basically saying is that if your car came with EAP when you purchased AP (mostly the cars in early 2019 that demonstrate this snafu), then upgrade to FSD for $4k ASAP and save the receipts. Pay $4k to avoid losing $2k (given AP was $3k and EAP was $5k) :)

You can't technically lose anything you didn't pay for. You're paying 4K to avoid paying 7K.

Reactions: xcat
Thanks for all the feedback! I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to FSD.

A few days later I used the app to try to schedule the HW3 upgrade, assuming the appointment would be canceled. It was. Though I did learn that, according to Tesla service, it can take 1-2 weeks for the updated profile to flag the retrofit. We'll see how long it actually takes to get into the queue.
I purchased mine on 5/2 and still have not been contacted by Tesla about the upgrade. I have scheduled service 3 times now and each one has been canceled. I had a service tech out on 5/11 to replace my rear spoiler and he informed me they have plenty of upgrade kits for the 3.0 retrofit, but so far I have heard nothing. it would be nice if they at least gave you a soft target date (STD, LOL), so that you have some idea of when it might be coming.

Way better than being happy about it!!! The inability to edit a post is one thing I don’t like about this forum software .... although I suppose that’s a policy and not a software limit.

I don’t believe it is. Paid level if I recall correctly.

Not (easily) being about to change your profile / member name is a downer as well; notably after 7 years on the forum. I’ve contact mod’s multiple times but ever a response.

I don’t believe it is. Paid level if I recall correctly.

Not (easily) being about to change your profile / member name is a downer as well; notably after 7 years on the forum. I’ve contact mod’s multiple times but ever a response.

If you pay enough you get to edit an original post in a thread forever- but anything else is only in first 12 hours