Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD before increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD before price goes to $10,000

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious again if anyone is contemplating this. I will admit Elon is a heck of a salesman to get people to keep paying ever higher prices without actually delivering anything. From reading the list, it looks like they are getting closer to FSD in terms of navigating around objects and actually making turns. Still my guess is its many years away for them to actually have something that will really be even the slightest bit reliable

For me it still comes down to the fact that a car has a finite life, maybe 10000 is reasonable on day 1 for the car, but the price should be getting lower as the car gets older otherwise it makes no sense. I would be interested in some type of subscription, especially short term subscription when doing road trips. Of course that depends if I still own a Tesla after this as I love the vehicle, but stunts like this kind of ruin the experience.

Reactions: toolman335
After seeing the videos so far, this is the first time I'd really push for people to buy before the price increase. This looks insanely impressive. Does it mean you'll be sleeping on your way to work in a year? No. But you'll be doing a heck of a lot less driving than you do now.

Reactions: C141medic
Curious again if anyone is contemplating this. I will admit Elon is a heck of a salesman to get people to keep paying ever higher prices without actually delivering anything. From reading the list, it looks like they are getting closer to FSD in terms of navigating around objects and actually making turns. Still my guess is its many years away for them to actually have something that will really be even the slightest bit reliable

For me it still comes down to the fact that a car has a finite life, maybe 10000 is reasonable on day 1 for the car, but the price should be getting lower as the car gets older otherwise it makes no sense. I would be interested in some type of subscription, especially short term subscription when doing road trips. Of course that depends if I still own a Tesla after this as I love the vehicle, but stunts like this kind of ruin the experience.

This is where I totally agree. If the car ages, FSD should cost less each year.I actually though I would been locked in a price when I purchased my car but i was wrong, welp.

On the highway AP is great. In part because it works well and in another part because its a relatively organized and orderly process. Driving around town is no such affair. I dont trust the car not to hit the kid running after a ball or the road worker placing cones. Theres just too many variables on town level streets and it would be far more stressful to be always watching out for the computer. If the system doesnt make my life easier or less stressful then I dont need it. Eventually the tech will get there and I'll probably have it on the next one but not today.

I'd be happy to purchase it as a service or if I got to keep it with me. Having to buy for each Tesla I own seems, silly.

It's cool for sure and there are some features I'd like to have but it's not ground breaking enough for me to warrant spending that kind of moola on.
totally agree with you. although I still think the price is getting out of hand.

On the highway AP is great. In part because it works well and in another part because its a relatively organized and orderly process. Driving around town is no such affair. I dont trust the car not to hit the kid running after a ball or the road worker placing cones. Theres just too many variables on town level streets and it would be far more stressful to be always watching out for the computer. If the system doesnt make my life easier or less stressful then I dont need it. Eventually the tech will get there and I'll probably have it on the next one but not today.

Yes, that is biggest issue for me, autopilot works fine, so what am I spending on? Further autopilot isn't smart enough to move the vehicle over slightly when a tractor trailer or other wide vehicle is clearly in your lane and its about it collide. If they can prove FSD will finally do that, then it might be worth considering. For 4K maybe LOL.

Seriously though. If I take the kids to camp and drive 750 miles, would it be worth it for a week, yes? Would I pay 150 for that ? Probably. I don't see why they don't get it right and come up with a reasonable system. I also don't see why they keep gouging existing customers.

Actually, WE should get paid for driving around a Tesla and creating all these testing miles/km, giving access to our data. It is the fact that OUR cars do drive and share data that makes FSD possible and better.

Beside many other questions open, I realized one thing with every service and change of service at Tesla:
If it is in the interest of Tesla, it is not in my interest. And opposite.
So I bought some company shares. Now the company is partly mine.
If any change of policy makes Tesla's finance happy, it makes me happy as well :)

• Funny
Reactions: chrstna4
Tesla used to do free trials of autopilot a couple years ago, I'd need a month of that to even consider FSD, and even then, a subscription per month price. Tesla will have a hard time convincing me it is worth it, in my area there are some very tight 180 degree turns, 1 and a half lane roads, and other odd obstacles that humans have no problem with but my Base AP freaks out over.

Buying my Base AP for $2000 during the brief March 2019 sale was a good deal, but $10K for FSD? I am not convinced.

I'm on the "most likely no" option but I'll look at more videos today to see if something just pushes my logic-brain to the curb.

The problem is the price is going up way too fast with way too little features actually really available to end-users, and really as good as it is, I keep thinking issues of liability and insurance. I want FSD when it's good and reliable, not when it's beta -- when I can count on it and blame Tesla for accidents and allow me to sleep while I go to work. A dream, I know... at least right now. But I'm not willing to spend 10k to be even more stressed about driving. That's just not something that any sane person would/should really do.

Plus, and I can't say this enough times - I hate the idea of FSD being tied to the car and also not tied to insurance. This has always bugged me but the point is that if my car is totalled, I'll get a new car sure, but it won't be a replacement including my upgrade -- it'll be a NON-FSD car. I shouldn't have to buy it again. Considering new cars come with all the hardware or at least they should as of now, FSD should/must be tied to the account.