Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD before increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD before price goes to $10,000

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus, and I can't say this enough times - I hate the idea of FSD being tied to the car and also not tied to insurance. This has always bugged me but the point is that if my car is totalled, I'll get a new car sure, but it won't be a replacement including my upgrade -- it'll be a NON-FSD car. I shouldn't have to buy it again. Considering new cars come with all the hardware or at least they should as of now, FSD should/must be tied to the account

As long as you tell your insurance company about the upgrade they should cover it if/when your car is totaled. (Of course they may raise your premium as people have reported when they added EAP to their car.) Of course normally only covering comparable retail value, so whatever value FSD adds to a comparable used car is what you would get.

No. As I said in a different thread, I think this is Tesla trying to get as many people to jump on the $8K price before they offer a subscription. They know at $10K very few new owners are going to add it. The fear of the price increase alone will probably net them a few hundred thousand.

Reactions: toolman335
In that case I hope they will take direct deposit from my paycheck

I’ll wait for next time. Owning a Tesla has taught me to be a very patient person.
No doubt. The longer you wait to buy a Tesla the better experience you will have. Glad I jumped in 2018 just to experience the technology. BUT at this point, between battery day and the S price cuts I have now solidly entered the "Osborne" zone. I will shop Tesla cars again in 2022/23.

I don't see how that is relevant. The car's value doesn't drop to $0 because the first owner doesn't want it anymore...
Its certainly relevant because the first owner is looking at the cost over 5-6 years, for some that might be 4 years. You might get some back in resale, you might not. How much is the car with FSD worth to someone that doesn't want FSD? 0 extra for FSD. Then take someone who gets the car 7 months old Iike I did and now are 15 months in or so. I should still pay the same price? That unfortunately is not how it works in the real world. You buy a used card, the options are depreciated with the car.

Reactions: Callawayc7
I don't see how that is relevant. The car's value doesn't drop to $0 because the first owner doesn't want it anymore...

How many Tesla owners do you think will actually keep their cars 10+ years? These are people that are generally on the cutting edge of technology. Obviously there are some, but I doubt many paid for FSD with the assumption they will have the same Tesla in 15-20 years.

How many Tesla owners do you think will actually keep their cars 10+ years? These are people that are generally on the cutting edge of technology. Obviously there are some, but I doubt many paid for FSD with the assumption they will have the same Tesla in 15-20 years.
What Tesla should really be concerned about is the guy who buys FSD at the beginning and then puts the car in the garage and says make it work 20 years later when they might have FSD finally working. Has Tesla thought about the fact that these current cars probably aren't capable of doing real FSD?

Reactions: Mattopotamus
This thread reminds me of when I was waiting for Tesla stock to go down to buy it. I waited a long time and still bought it, but at a much higher price than I originally wanted to. I have no idea what or where pricing for FSD will go but Elon has said it will only go higher. Time will tell.

He also said there will be a $25K car that will include FSD. Go figure...