Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD before increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD before price goes to $10,000

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way I would take the plunge is if it was tied to my account. I can understand maybe having to pay a surcharge if you end up buying a higher end Tesla down the road (could be more involved for FSD to operate a Cybertruck over a M3), but to have to repurchase it at an ever-increasing price with every vehicle sounds ridiculous.

This is not to mention that the biggest potential return on investment would be if it could earn passive income through delivery or Uber-like service offerings. For one, even if this was possible today, you still would have to wait for local laws to catch up with it (potentially years later), and your Tesla's services would be competing for the same consumer base as existing businesses, which will probably have entire fleets of driverless cars by that point. And you had better bet that municipalities will charge for yearly business license renewals on this. To the extent that you could make income off of this, I'm not convinced you would make much profit, if any.

Also, many people just enjoy driving still. If automated safety features which kick-in in the event of an impending crash reduce the risk of injury or death overwhelmingly, then I think that's enough for most people. Sure, if FSD is always in 100% control, maybe you get marginally less risk, but that has to come at a cost that people can afford. Otherwise, only wealthy people will have that extra X% safety.

How many Tesla owners do you think will actually keep their cars 10+ years? These are people that are generally on the cutting edge of technology. Obviously there are some, but I doubt many paid for FSD with the assumption they will have the same Tesla in 15-20 years.

I got fsd, and plan to keep mine as long as possible....cause the car quality is so bad. I wonder if it will even last 5yrs. I normally keep my cars for 15-20 years.

Reactions: P3dStealth and Thp3
The only way I would take the plunge is if it was tied to my account. I can understand maybe having to pay a surcharge if you end up buying a higher end Tesla down the road (could be more involved for FSD to operate a Cybertruck over a M3), but to have to repurchase it at an ever-increasing price with every vehicle sounds ridiculous.

This is not to mention that the biggest potential return on investment would be if it could earn passive income through delivery or Uber-like service offerings. For one, even if this was possible today, you still would have to wait for local laws to catch up with it (potentially years later), and your Tesla's services would be competing for the same consumer base as existing businesses, which will probably have entire fleets of driverless cars by that point. And you had better bet that municipalities will charge for yearly business license renewals on this. To the extent that you could make income off of this, I'm not convinced you would make much profit, if any.

Also, many people just enjoy driving still. If automated safety features which kick-in in the event of an impending crash reduce the risk of injury or death overwhelmingly, then I think that's enough for most people. Sure, if FSD is always in 100% control, maybe you get marginally less risk, but that has to come at a cost that people can afford. Otherwise, only wealthy people will have that extra X% safety.

This right here says it all to me. I just love DRIVING this car. Do I wish I had the FSD....sure....but with someone who just has Autopilot I just don't use it all that often. FSD does look pretty darn cool though. Congrats to Tesla

Reactions: Callawayc7
This right here says it all to me. I just love DRIVING this car. Do I wish I had the FSD....sure....but with someone who just has Autopilot I just don't use it all that often. FSD does look pretty darn cool though. Congrats to Tesla

I very much agree with this. I have never been a car person prior to owning a Tesla. As much as I love using AP on the highway, I equally enjoy taking over control and just driving the car.

Reactions: sa012
If I had taken delivery of my car while EAP was available I would have bought it. I don't want FSD on city streets. Just on the highway for long trips. I am sure AP would get me by but Auto Lane change and NOAP is all the extra I want.
I took delivery of my car 11 days after they stopped offering EAP. I am sure hoping for another offer soon or a subscription type service. I don't think I would use FSD enough to justify the cost, but would gladly upgrade to EAP for long road trips.

This is a marketing tactic from Elon. When they increased the price after smart summon was released to public, people likely saw how poorly it performed (and still does) and didn't bother upgrading to FSD. So now they want people to upgrade to FSD based on FOMO just off news that FSD is out there for a very small group of people.

Honestly, I don't know how good FSD will be with the current hardware. They haven't even fixed phantom braking yet and that *should* be easier than city FSD.

This is a marketing tactic from Elon. When they increased the price after smart summon was released to public, people likely saw how poorly it performed (and still does) and didn't bother upgrading to FSD. So now they want people to upgrade to FSD based on FOMO just off news that FSD is out there for a very small group of people.

Honestly, I don't know how good FSD will be with the current hardware. They haven't even fixed phantom braking yet and that *should* be easier than city FSD.

That is absolutely what this is. It is a tactic that works though, so kudos to them.

Totally a marketing ploy. Do I wish I jumped on the $2k last year sure, for the computer alone as my car was built right before HW3. No thank you for $10k and no thank you for $5k though my crazy mind did think for a split second ohhh I want this. I don't doubt Tesla will achieve something great, they already have pushed cruise control further than it has ever been.

Reactions: ForeverEv
Totally a marketing ploy. Do I wish I jumped on the $2k last year sure, for the computer alone as my car was built right before HW3. No thank you for $10k and no thank you for $5k though my crazy mind did think for a split second ohhh I want this. I don't doubt Tesla will achieve something great, they already have pushed cruise control further than it has ever been.
My feelings exactly. I expect Tesla to eventually make this work BUT this price increase took me from a maybe to a solid no. Amazing marketing of Beta (at best) software releases. Musk has real business savvy because this appears to working on most of his followers. For me, I've lost interest at this price point.

Got the $5,000 EAP in the 2018 DM LR M3 and enjoyed it greatly on cross-country trips, also love it in rush hour stop & go. Don't use it at all in-city. Recently upgraded to HW 3 for $3000, so a total of $8000 for F$D. :confused:

I remember having the "We need to get the keys from Dad now that he's 85..." talk with the family. My main motivation for the $8000 expenditure is to keep my freedom and mobility as long as possible and spare the children that "We gotta get those keys" intervention. I'm only 65 now, so there should be time for the technology to mature by the time I really need it.
The other reason I went for it is I realized I was going to own "one of those Teslas" that didn't have the hardware and stopped getting updates because of the limited capabilities with HW2.5. I hate getting left behind...;)

• Love
Reactions: ForeverEv and Thp3
I did buy the acceleration boost as a compromise for not getting the M3 performance. I wanted the nicer ride of the 18" wheels, and the boost gets you pretty close to the M3P.
I would not pay even $8k for FSD though, let alone $10k. IMHO it is far too much for what it can do, with no guarantee it will ever be approved for actual self-driving by a regulator for the time I have the car. Plus if someone rear-ends me and the car is a write-off, will I get the $8k back? I think not.
One other thing, I enjoy actually driving this car!

Reactions: sa012