Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to FSD before increase?

Will you upgrade to FSD before price goes to $10,000

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread...but am I the only one that doesn’t want my car to drive for me? I enjoy driving...and with my ICE cars I try to get manual transmissions for even more engagement. Maybe I’m a minority in the Tesla community, but the reason I ordered one is the performance numbers.

If self-driving was free....I might try it...but I doubt I’d use it long term.

I like driving too once in awhile but mostly use autopilot to assist. It doesn't stop you from driving. I used to get manual too and then realized the new automatics are better performance wise.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread...but am I the only one that doesn’t want my car to drive for me? I enjoy driving...and with my ICE cars I try to get manual transmissions for even more engagement. Maybe I’m a minority in the Tesla community, but the reason I ordered one is the performance numbers.

If self-driving was free....I might try it...but I doubt I’d use it long term.

Where I get hung up is on the attachment to the VIN, not the owner/account. If the car is totaled that FSD option is lost and unrecoverable.

But your insurance should cover the cost of a comparable replacement car. That would mean the replacement car needs to have FSD. (Assuming you have insurance and you have told them you added FSD.)

It is insurance companies that will either raise rates to cover the cost or would push on Tesla to allow them to pay a transfer fee.

I can get behind a transfer fee for FSD to move it from a totaled Tesla to a replacement Tesla, but beyond that I think it should stay with the car. If you don't want it linked to the car you can wait for the subscription, which will cost more in the long run.

I like driving too once in awhile but mostly use autopilot to assist. It doesn't stop you from driving. I used to get manual too and then realized the new automatics are better performance wise.

Depends on what you count as an automatic.....and what brand. About the only auto I would consider is the Porsche PDK (I’ve driven both)....though for me the manual is more fun to drive. If I was building a race car, PDK all day long. Most normal ATs are still not great for performance. You have to get up in price range before that becomes a different story (C8, GTR, Supra....off the top of my head).

And yeah...I know you can turn it off. For me though, I don’t think the cost is worth it because I don’t think I’d use it very much if at all.

Test drive of the bmw m3 with sequential manual was honestly more fun to drive than my manual c6 but we getting offtopic

Depends on what you count as an automatic.....and what brand. About the only auto I would consider is the Porsche PDK (I’ve driven both)....though for me the manual is more fun to drive. If I was building a race car, PDK all day long. Most normal ATs are still not great for performance. You have to get up in price range before that becomes a different story (C8, GTR, Supra....off the top of my head).

And yeah...I know you can turn it off. For me though, I don’t think the cost is worth it because I don’t think I’d use it very much if at all.

$10,000 would be fine if it was a true autonomous autopilot were you get in it and go without having to baby sit it. This is what Elon has been selling to many for years now. FSD is just around the corner now, “we are just turning the corner”

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my electric car but real FSD is a snake oil salesman making a profit.

If the re-write didn't happen, I wouldn't have blamed anyone for calling it snakeoil. I began to my doubts as well. But this early Beta, even with its faults, is showing a lot of promise. How 'set it and forget it' it gets with the current hardware, IMO, will depend heavily on the NN and how its perception develops with the input of data from the beta testers.
I don't see true set-it-and-forget-it starting off in anything other than geofenced locations. And possibly with different hardware.

As for Elon and his wildly optimistic promises way back when? I agree, he began selling them way before their time. But I really don't think he meant to purposely mislead anyone. I just think he grossly underestimated the difficulty involved in achieving those claims.

Reactions: Fernand and RoBoRaT
...it's your money...but consider this...that notion is based on current status....not a long range outlook.

If I recall, thinking that one accident will shut this down....won't happen. Accidents even before this release have already been happening with lower levels of automation....it's just going to be ubiquitous.... As much as I think tesla's are junky quality cars...they are heading in the right direction of the way we get around.

What's truly interesting to see is the flying car development....that will truly be a serious game changer...people will no longer be limited to stay within continents....imagine that....learn from history.

The biggest issue here is the name, Full Self Driving. People see that and will think that its SAE Level 5 and attempt to take a nap or do other ridiculous things. A few accidents or deaths with FSD in the headline will have regulators likely come down way harder than they ever did with Autopilot. Tesla's automation name choices as well as how they determine if someone is attentive are hugely flawed. I would honestly prefer Cadillac Supercruises' method of infrared cameras to determine if the driver is looking forward with eyes open.

Well that may be true but there are many of us that would like the car to drive, not you.
There are tons of cars with damage from simple fender benders which are needless.
And on and on. Most planes are on autopilot 90% of the time.

There’s no need to get upset and call my abilities into question. You have no idea of what my background is or what my skill level is behind the wheel.

That being said, if for you a car is just an appliance to carry you from Point A to Point B...then great. More power to you. But for me, that is not the case. I enjoy the act of driving and to me a car is more than just an appliance. The question in this thread was whether us as a community would spend our hard earned money on FSD. My answer was no...but I also felt like I should explain my reasons. I feel that it takes the fun out of driving a car and that’s the whole reason I’m purchasing a Tesla: To have something fun to drive. I don’t look down on anyone if they feel different (the tech is very cool) and I agree that many people don’t take the care they should while driving a car.

But there’s no need to not be civil in the discourse.

I think he mis-spoke or got mis-quoted; pretty sure there will be a $25 car with the _option_ to include FSD; too bad the FSD will cost An additional $30,000 by then o_O

I wonder..People said the same thing about a new $35K- tax credits Tesla. (My MBA econ professor said men would be on SpaceX mars rockets b/f) But here I am driving one.

Tech is getting cheaper every day and tesla doesn't have a price-gouging model like others. Some of their profit is coming from tax credits markets, hence my $50 solar panels subscription w/ $400 referral credit.

Also, I read about an FSD subscription today.

Last edited:
Agree on super cruise,. My mercedes had a method to tell if you were sleepy that didn't involve tugging the steering wheel over and over

The biggest issue here is the name, Full Self Driving. People see that and will think that its SAE Level 5 and attempt to take a nap or do other ridiculous things. A few accidents or deaths with FSD in the headline will have regulators likely come down way harder than they ever did with Autopilot. Tesla's automation name choices as well as how they determine if someone is attentive are hugely flawed. I would honestly prefer Cadillac Supercruises' method of infrared cameras to determine if the driver is looking forward with eyes open.

I'm really on the fence about whether to pull the trigger or not. I'll be honest, I'm primarily interested in the technology (or novelty of it).

I plan to keep the car 10 years if it serves me well, so in the simplest sense, that's $67/month (straight line and yes, discounting opportunity cost). The subscription model is intriguing, but there are no details. Some have speculated it would be about 1/72 the cost of FSD, so about $111/mo at current pricing, jumping to $139/mo at next week's pricing. When FSD hits $12K or $15K, maybe $167 or $208/mo. I doubt the rate is going to be flat - especially if you can pop in and out of the plan. Maybe you can go month to month, or maybe you have to sign up for a year but pay monthly.

The other thing that occurs to me is if FSD should be thought of as an appreciating asset to the car. I buy it at $8K today and if I sell the car early (say in 3 years), my car has an option that may be selling for twice that (assuming competition doesn't drive prices down). Ah...Who knows?

Reactions: Chanceofthat
The problem with the 10 years is what of it doesn't make it? I was at like 7 1/2 years with my c6 and it just wasn't worth trying to keep it up anymore and I drove very low miles. The appreciating thing I don't buy. So your car is going to depreciate, likely to less than the fsd price and people are going to pay more for the fsd than the actual car on a used car?

I'm really on the fence about whether to pull the trigger or not. I'll be honest, I'm primarily interested in the technology (or novelty of it).

I plan to keep the car 10 years if it serves me well, so in the simplest sense, that's $67/month (straight line and yes, discounting opportunity cost). The subscription model is intriguing, but there are no details. Some have speculated it would be about 1/72 the cost of FSD, so about $111/mo at current pricing, jumping to $139/mo at next week's pricing. When FSD hits $12K or $15K, maybe $167 or $208/mo. I doubt the rate is going to be flat - especially if you can pop in and out of the plan. Maybe you can go month to month, or maybe you have to sign up for a year but pay monthly.

The other thing that occurs to me is if FSD should be thought of as an appreciating asset to the car. I buy it at $8K today and if I sell the car early (say in 3 years), my car has an option that may be selling for twice that (assuming competition doesn't drive prices down). Ah...Who knows?

20% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Had my last car for 15 years, plan to have the Model 3 for at least 10 years.

But I didn’t buy FSD and don’t plan on it.

I still have a 20yr old car that gets driven around once a month.... I usually keep my cars a lot longer than 10if possible...the quality of tesla is my only concern. This car is made of the crappiest material craftsmanship I gave ever seen....

it's just a name....it could've been called 'driving ms daisy' and it would still functionally be almost no different than L5 or whatever. Either way, soon enough we will be able to sleep on the way. This whole fsd is really just a wolf in sheep's clothing....it disregards sae standards or whatever... Tesla doesn't seem to give two rips about industry standards...he's paving his own way cause he can, and will...too bad the car is so crappy with a lot of great ideas. ...I'm onboard...cause industry standards are silly...and pointless.

But there’s no need to not be civil in the discourse.

I am sorry you thought I directed that at you, I was directing that at anyone. The point is that all
car manufactures are baking this in and at some point will become standard and required. You see this
in VW,BMW,Nissan and so on. So it may be harder to drive yourself or myself going forward. High tech
is always a who know as far as cost. ABS airbags emergency braking lane control

Most people historically wouldn't keep a car more than 10 years because at high milage they are worn/wearing out. I think comparing a Tesla to one of those mechanical monstrosities in terms of longevity isn't valid. I personally believe these cars will last much longer.

Traditionally manufacturers would gather improvements and release them in the new model year along with a few cosmetic changes. If your Tesla has the hardware, any updates are pushed, which rubs against the industry concept of marketing and planned obsolescence.

I'm 65 and I fully expect the M3 will be the last car I buy. At my age, I've seen many concepts that were once science fiction become reality, such as the ability to power your car with sunshine! I fully expect autonomous cars to become a reality in my lifetime, and I wanted mine to be equipped for that eventuality.

What Tesla needs to do is provide 1-2 week free trials of FSD. $10K is a lot to pay after a quick test drive. FSD is complex stuff and people need to try it a bit. Thats not a big expense for Tesla (and easy to do) and they may get more takers. Remember, this is an enthusiast board - people here are into their Teslas. A lot of people like their Teslas, but just drive them.

This way, if FSD is good - More people will buy it. Right now most people have heard its an expensive feature that is always “about to become reality.”

Reactions: DaveG_NJ