Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to Model Y or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some opinions or thoughts on my situation and whether I should go through with trading-in my Model 3 for a Model Y.

Back in June I took delivery of my Model 3. I absolutely love it. It has no build quality issues, and it came with matrix headlights and USS. Since taking delivery I've put over 12k miles on it, we've been using it on road trips with the family because it's so much more comfortable and a better experience than our minivan. However, on longer road trips we run out of room with two adults, 2 kids, a dog, and all of our bags. Back in October on a long road trip we stopped at a supercharger next to a Model Y and the owner was nice enough to show us around it and we quickly realized that our family would be a much better fit in a Y. So after the road trip I went ahead and ordered a Y. I wasn't 100% sure at the time if I was going to go through with taking delivery just due to the price and the interest rates continuing to go up. My wife and I also test drove a Y and we agreed that it was a better way to go, practically and functionally speaking.

A few weeks ago I was pretty much convinced that I was going to cancel my order. I just wasn't ready to add about $300 to my car payment even after a sizable downpayment. However, now with the price cuts and the potential for the tax credit, I'm at the point where I can pretty much keep my car payment the same (and maybe less if I can get more money than I owe on the model 3, but I'm considering it a wash right now). So now I'm leaning heavily toward going through with the Model Y purchase, but I'm having a really hard time justifying the money out of pocket and giving up my Model 3.

My reasons against getting the Model Y have mostly to do with how much I like the Model 3. I feel like I got it as the peak before they removed the USS and before a potential re-design. Also against the Y is just the money out of pocket (About 20K, but assuming I'll recoup 7500 of that later, I can afford it but it's still a lot of money), lack of USS, and the potential of a sub-par build without matrix headlights. The build quality fears are probably overblown but I know I would be really mad at myself later if the Model Y I bought wasn't as good as the 3 I used to have. The reduced range is also a small hit against the Y (though I rarely make it the full 180-200 miles between optimized charging stops without stopping for something else)

My reasons for getting the Y are like I said above, more space, more seating (fully realizing the limitations of the 3rd row seating), easier to get the kids in and out of, more space for the dog, etc. We can solve all of the space and seating issues with our minivan, but it's not as comfortable and obviously not as nice to drive. It gets about 27 mpg on the highway so it's not exactly a gas hog, but it's not exactly efficient. And before anyone asks why I don't just have both: while I'm okay financially, the minivan is paid off and I don't want to have two sizable car payments.

I'd love to hear other peoples opinions about this. I'm having a really hard time fully committing to the Y and letting go of the 3. Thanks everyone.

I have a 2018 M3LR - very basic. MY was not a possibility when I ordered, as soon as it was announced, I wished that I could have gotten that car and certainly would have ordered it had it been available. I'm a different boat, but my significant other announced they were going to order an M3 last fall (out of the blue, by the way) and I immediately bullied them into taking my M3 so I could get the MY. I know this is a different situation, but given, you can probably get a good price for the M3, I'd go with the MY. That said, for me, I'm not looking forward to paying for premium connectivity, and I'm already noticing how much I use the USS, esp. since we I still have to park head in in places where you get a ticket if you back in.

BTW, minus the tow hitch and add FSD my MY is your Y. Same delivery window as well. Unicorns will exist -- soon

Reactions: arichard2401
Looking for some opinions or thoughts on my situation and whether I should go through with trading-in my Model 3 for a Model Y.

Back in June I took delivery of my Model 3. I absolutely love it. It has no build quality issues, and it came with matrix headlights and USS. Since taking delivery I've put over 12k miles on it, we've been using it on road trips with the family because it's so much more comfortable and a better experience than our minivan. However, on longer road trips we run out of room with two adults, 2 kids, a dog, and all of our bags. Back in October on a long road trip we stopped at a supercharger next to a Model Y and the owner was nice enough to show us around it and we quickly realized that our family would be a much better fit in a Y. So after the road trip I went ahead and ordered a Y. I wasn't 100% sure at the time if I was going to go through with taking delivery just due to the price and the interest rates continuing to go up. My wife and I also test drove a Y and we agreed that it was a better way to go, practically and functionally speaking.

A few weeks ago I was pretty much convinced that I was going to cancel my order. I just wasn't ready to add about $300 to my car payment even after a sizable downpayment. However, now with the price cuts and the potential for the tax credit, I'm at the point where I can pretty much keep my car payment the same (and maybe less if I can get more money than I owe on the model 3, but I'm considering it a wash right now). So now I'm leaning heavily toward going through with the Model Y purchase, but I'm having a really hard time justifying the money out of pocket and giving up my Model 3.

My reasons against getting the Model Y have mostly to do with how much I like the Model 3. I feel like I got it as the peak before they removed the USS and before a potential re-design. Also against the Y is just the money out of pocket (About 20K, but assuming I'll recoup 7500 of that later, I can afford it but it's still a lot of money), lack of USS, and the potential of a sub-par build without matrix headlights. The build quality fears are probably overblown but I know I would be really mad at myself later if the Model Y I bought wasn't as good as the 3 I used to have. The reduced range is also a small hit against the Y (though I rarely make it the full 180-200 miles between optimized charging stops without stopping for something else)

My reasons for getting the Y are like I said above, more space, more seating (fully realizing the limitations of the 3rd row seating), easier to get the kids in and out of, more space for the dog, etc. We can solve all of the space and seating issues with our minivan, but it's not as comfortable and obviously not as nice to drive. It gets about 27 mpg on the highway so it's not exactly a gas hog, but it's not exactly efficient. And before anyone asks why I don't just have both: while I'm okay financially, the minivan is paid off and I don't want to have two sizable car payments.

I'd love to hear other peoples opinions about this. I'm having a really hard time fully committing to the Y and letting go of the 3. Thanks everyone.
I think it's a great upgrade, however the only concern I have would be selling or trading in your Model 3 as values have gone down significantly in the past 6 months.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go test drive a Y again today just to be sure.

As for the trade in, I've been paying down my Model 3 and keeping an eye on prices so I'm very confident I will at least break even on the trade in or potentially have a little cash toward the car. I'm also going to shop the nearby Carvana type places (heard good things about CarShop down the road from me) and see if I can get a little more for it there that could make up for any tax savings on the trade in.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go test drive a Y again today just to be sure.

As for the trade in, I've been paying down my Model 3 and keeping an eye on prices so I'm very confident I will at least break even on the trade in or potentially have a little cash toward the car. I'm also going to shop the nearby Carvana type places (heard good things about CarShop down the road from me) and see if I can get a little more for it there that could make up for any tax savings on the trade in.
I’m in Delco, PA as well. I had a stealth 2018 M3 and loved it. I replaced it with a plaid S so I don’t regret that move. But we also have a performance Model Y for my business and honestly if I had to be stuck with either a X,3,S,Y then I probably would pick the Y. It is the overall best in price and features and performance. I love the Y.

Adding some clarity. Looks like you ordered the 7 seat Y which comes out of Fremont. The general consensus is all Fremont built Ys come with matrix headlights. As for build quality, there may be outliers here and there but for the most part build quality is consistent across Fremont and Austin. Redesign of Y is probably not on the books and probably will not be for another 2 - 3 years. The 3 has been out since 2017 and needs an updated look, the Y went into production March 2020.

As for USS, same can be said for cars that came with radar and those that didn't. I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance + FSD which has radar and as everyone with FSD Beta knows my radar got disabled due to FSD Beta relying solely on vision. It's been over a year now that it got disabled and honestly I don't even miss it or could care less. Point is, as software improves so does the driver's perception of the vehicle's capabilities while also not having to depend on a so called crux.

Lastly, seems like space is your number one priority. The Y definitely has space and then some. The 3 doesn't even come close to space especially for your needs.

P.S. Finally picking up our MYLR 7 seat on Saturday Jan 28th, OD: 3/20/22 DBM/White, Tow, 19" We're adding the Y for space and versatility. We'll be keeping the 3 as it's a fun ride but not practical in other areas. Fortunately, we don't own a minivan and wife refuses to get one so the Y it was :)

P.S. Finally picking up our MYLR 7 seat on Saturday Jan 28th, OD: 3/20/22 DBM/White, Tow, 19" We're adding the Y for space and versatility. We'll be keeping the 3 as it's a fun ride but not practical in other areas. Fortunately, we don't own a minivan and wife refuses to get one so the Y it was :)
Did you put your order on hold? I can't believe they would still be fulfilling a March order after all the excess inventory in Nov/Dec.

No hold as any hold would have expired in Nov/Dec since that was the delivery window given when we placed the order. Like many others we were in the limbo phase when 7 seats were put to the back of the line and only 5 seats got moved up. May have been the exterior/interior color combo or some mix of configuration. We also completed our profile in April so not sure why so long. Either way, worked out for us and glad it did!

I went from a Y to a 3 and never looked back. The 3 is SO much more fun to drive one a daily basis. Get a hitch and throw rack to carry your extra stuff when needed.

The 3 sips electrons compared to the S. So much quicker, faster, more nimble, easier to park, more front seat leg room, etc. The Y gulps electrons even compared to my S. Now that they've gutted USS I'd never buy a 3 or Y until they have something better (which they don't) to replace it. The USS saves my wife from hitting stuff all the time when parking at work.

Don't want to even go into all the phantom braking issues my Y had. Made it undrivable on trips. I know the owner well who bought my Y and he still has a lot of issues. I think I have the peak of the 3 platform with the Ryzen chip, USS, and so on.

Drive the Y a lot more, it is a pretty boring car unless you get the P. Even then you have to contend with the horrendous wheels and even worse efficiency. Every day I get in the 3, it brings a smile to my face to drive. By the time I sold the Y, I was regretting buying it and missed the Acura it replaced even though it was slower. At least it had cooled seat, real pano roof with sunroof, better driving dynamics and suspension and the list goes on.

If we need more room on trips, we just rent something else. Rented a Chrysler minivan and drove 3k miles. In the end, the actual fuel costs weren't much different than the Y on pretty much the same trip. The superchargers just make it convenient, but not really economical to take trips. For energy costs with my Y, it was like a gas car getting 32mpg. We got 31 mpg in the Chrysler and saved a ton of miles on the 3 or S.

Only if I had 3 big car seats in the Y, and used them every day, would I seriously consider it over the 3. Or if I needed the extra capacity of the Y every day. It is interesting how they never compare the 3 and Y cargo areas on the same way. The 3's trunk is very wide and long, you just lose some of the height in the trunk area.

Reactions: EVChris
Adding some clarity. Looks like you ordered the 7 seat Y which comes out of Fremont. The general consensus is all Fremont built Ys come with matrix headlights. As for build quality, there may be outliers here and there but for the most part build quality is consistent across Fremont and Austin. Redesign of Y is probably not on the books and probably will not be for another 2 - 3 years. The 3 has been out since 2017 and needs an updated look, the Y went into production March 2020.

I did see on another thread that the 7 seaters come out of Fremont right now. That does a lot to assuage my fears about the build quality, but I think I'm being overly paranoid about that.

As for USS, same can be said for cars that came with radar and those that didn't. I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance + FSD which has radar and as everyone with FSD Beta knows my radar got disabled due to FSD Beta relying solely on vision. It's been over a year now that it got disabled and honestly I don't even miss it or could care less. Point is, as software improves so does the driver's perception of the vehicle's capabilities while also not having to depend on a so called crux.
The lack of USS has me worried mostly for pulling into our rather tight parking spot behind my house. We live in a pretty space limited area and we use the USS every day to help park, and it's better for my charging situation to pull in rather than back in. I'm hoping at some point they can do the same thing that the USS provides with just the cameras. It will just be a mild inconvenience for us (we used to park a car back there with no parking sensors of any kind), but it seems like for a $65k car you should have some parking sensors. I was thinking it would be really nice if you could get the view from the front looking side cameras to take up some slack from the lack of USS, backing up is covered but not when you're making a forward turn and not sure if the front of your car will clear.

Was able to test drive Y today and it confirmed for my wife and I that it's the way to go. I know like others have mentioned it's not the best as a driver's car, but honestly today I didn't really notice that much of a difference other than in feeling bigger. I used to own a Mini Cooper S back in the day and zipped that thing around all over the place, but as I've gotten older I'm kind of over it. The MYLR still pulls like hell and that's about all I need. Plus I like the driving position better in the Y, and it's easier to get in and out (and get the kids in and out as well).

Thanks for all the responses, looking forward to actually making the switch in a few weeks.

Only if I had 3 big car seats in the Y, and used them every day, would I seriously consider it over the 3. Or if I needed the extra capacity of the Y every day. It is interesting how they never compare the 3 and Y cargo areas on the same way. The 3's trunk is very wide and long, you just lose some of the height in the trunk area.
We have two car seats right now and a dog. Don't get me wrong, the cargo area in the 3 in huge, I'm not discounting it. I've taken my in-laws from the airport with 3 full sized suit cases and a roller bag. It really comes down to comfort with the kids and all the crap they bring with them. The efficiency thing does have me curious though. I'm going to plan some trips we do in a Y on ABRP and see how it fairs. I know it's going to be less range but it'll be interesting to see how that changes our trips, we rarely make it the full 180-200 miles I can do between optimized charges in the 3 anyway.

I have a M3P and a MYP so from my experience the 3 is a lot more fun to drive I like it more then the Y so I use it for daily commute but on weekends the Y is more functional as a family and trip car the Y is nice on the long straights HWY driving but on winding roads the 3 handles better

I have a 2022 MYP and love it. Drove a M3P and really enjoyed driving it but the difference in driving excitement didn’t outweigh the sheer usability of the MYP. We have went on trips with a huge load of stuff and suitcases and had room to spare…where the 3 would’ve been a squeeze at best. Sheer driving excitement belongs to the 3, but for overall usefulness the MYP is my choice.