Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade to performance package after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have received my performance model 3 on aero and absolutely love it, but.... I want more. I feel that the brakes leave a lot to be desired and it is probably a combination of the tires and brakes.

Do you guys think you could upgrade to the PUP calipers(all hardware necessary) with out having to do a software update?

Initial bite was excellent the first 50 miles but after I used them agressively they don't have that bite.

I want to upgrade the brakes and calipers as well. Hopefully this is offered in the future. I really want it.

My edit button was gone when they finally announced that the brakes and calipers are upgraded and not just "painted red"

And if you are talking about stopping in street use you need better tires not better brakes

Big brakes don’t stop you any shorter the first time you slam the brakes - they let you stop the SAME the 10th time in a row
I see this posted all the time, but it's not always the case. On some cars the brakes are small enough to completely heat soak the rotor/caliper on the first scrub. Brakes aren't used only to stop the car, but also to slow it down -- say from 120mph to 60mph. The faster you go, the more heat energy that will be created by the brakes, and often times this is more than enough to completely overload the stock braking components on the first try. All it takes is one heavy braking event to figure this out the hard way. It'd be interesting to find out what the upper limit is for the stock non-P brakes. Ie. how fast do you have to be going to completely heat-soak the binders on the first pull?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I keep reading posts about how brake A will stop you just as fast once as brake B just not over and over. While this is completely true a better brake setup can have a much better brake feel and less effort even if they both would be able to stop you the same speed in a one time emergency brake scenario. I think people are too quick to dismiss better brakes with the "get better tires if you want to stop faster."

Compare a stock master cylinder on a race bike vs a real nice Brembo after market. Both would flip you over the front end of the bike if you wanted to but the feel to get stopped between the two is worlds apart.

Maybe i'm alone in this feeling.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I see this posted all the time, but it's not always the case. On some cars the brakes are small enough to completely heat soak the rotor/caliper on the first scrub.

Can you provide any examples of any production car in say the last decade that does that in a non-track situation?

Because to my knowledge anything made pretty much this century will stop exactly the same the first time from any remotely legal highway speed to zero with both stock brakes and the biggest BBK made for it

Because the brakes don’t stop the car the tires do

Now on a track braking usually often from triple digit speeds? Sure- bigger brakes can maintain braking distance over more hard stops, each time letting you brake to the limits of the tires until heat soak sets in and distances start to increase

Not sure why everyone getting worked up about the brakes I drove my P85DL hard for 65k miles on stock brakes and pads and the pads could have easily been driven to 100k miles ..you don’t really need the brakes on these cars

Can you provide any examples of any production car in say the last decade that does that in a non-track situation?

Because to my knowledge anything made pretty much this century will stop exactly the same the first time from any remotely legal highway speed to zero with both stock brakes and the biggest BBK made for it

Because the brakes don’t stop the car the tires do

Now on a track braking usually often from triple digit speeds? Sure- bigger brakes can maintain braking distance over more hard stops, each time letting you brake to the limits of the tires until heat soak sets in and distances start to increase
Sure, any non-Si Honda Civic when loaded down with 3+ passengers (not sure about 2016+ models though). It'll fade on the first heavy braking event from highway speeds (albeit Autobahn highway). Without passengers it's no problem since the brakes won't fade. Bigger brakes have higher thermal capacity, so you'll be able to handle a wider range of passenger/cargo conditions.

I think if you are looking for bite, you should consider alternative pads first, and perhaps upgraded fluid as well.

From others experiences it looks like the compound on these is pretty soft and not great at high temperatures. Hawk has a couple offerings for these cars,as does stop tech. They would certainly be better than stock.

Doubt Tesla is going to upgrade your brakes for a reasonable amount, if you really want an upgrade go with the MPP kit, upgraded fluid, and better than average pads.

Also a tidbit I have gleaned is that the stock brakes have no air pumping shape vanes, and its likely intentional to reduce losses. The stock brakes will always be kinda poor at shedding heat for that reason. I am not sure about the Performance rotors.

I have received my performance model 3 on aero and absolutely love it, but.... I want more. I feel that the brakes leave a lot to be desired and it is probably a combination of the tires and brakes.

Do you guys think you could upgrade to the PUP calipers(all hardware necessary) with out having to do a software update?

So your "Performance" model 3 is not a PUP? (Performance Upgrade Package?).

Does anyone here know (or seen) how different of a PUP brake (caliper, rotor, pad) from a standard model 3, or if Tesla has been shipping model 3 w/PUP, if so any picture to share.

I have done all searches (include sending inquiry to Tesla), but still have no answer.